Ps5 and oled 4k

Kieran30

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a 65b8pla purchased from Currys. Is this tv future proof for the ps5. Should I be happy with it? I could have got a 8K Qled for a bit more money but there wasn't any in stock at the time.

The PS5 will be be powerful but it won't be rendering games at native 8K.

B8 will be fine, but the C9 would have been more future proofed as it supports HDMI 2.1, as will the PS5.

What you can likely expect from the PS5 is;
* 4K 120Hz output with a number of games going past 60fps but I would not expect it to be common.
* VRR support which will smooth out gameplay where it cannot match the fps to a locked 60Hz or 120Hz output, the VRR range of the C9 is 40-120Hz.
* eARC allows for PCM 7.1 audio over HDMI from TV to audio receiver but needs a new eARC sound system.

If you don't care much about HD audio and are happy with 60fps 4K output for PS5 games then the B8 is fine for the task.

The graphics power needed to run modern games at 8K is insane and I highly doubt the PS5 will be able to render at that resolution natively.
I'm sure the B8 will be absolutely fine for the PS5 where 4K will be the more common resolution it will run at.
Yeah all this talk is just that. Making sure the "other side" paps themselves.

The PS4 Pro was meant to do 4K native and look how that turned out.

4K 120Hz is going to be a very rare thing. So while HDMI 2.0 is not "enough" for the PS5 at it's best, it reality it's plenty.

As others have said, I wouldn't overly concern yourself with HDMI 2.1. if gaming on a PC is something you do then it would be worth considering a C9. It's still a good option now for future-proof sake, especially for anyone looking at buying an OLED around Black Friday 2019 and beyond.

I recently got the Panasonic FZ802 OLED, like your LG B8 this does not have HDMI 2.1. I was waiting for the C9 for 2.1 and future-proofing, but a superb deal meant I had to pull the trigger sooner.

As for 8K graphics on PS5, that's what's called marketing BS. PS3 and Xbox 360 output 1080p, there were maybe a handful of 1080p games on those system -- but we all know they were really 720p consoles.

Next-gen looks set to make 60fps standard, that's a huge deal given that outside of Nintendo games (and Call of Duty) the majority of experiences on Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles were mostly targeting 30fps, and this followed suit with PS4 and Xbox One - hell it's still the case for the most part on the enhanced Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, too.

Will there be 120fps games? Possibly, if we're talking simple indie style games. I seriously doubt we'll see any triple A game like Call of Duty or Uncharted at 4K 120fps -- 60fps would be a huge leap in the console space.

VRR would be a bonus, but if the new consoles give devs enough headroom, hopefully framerates will be a lot more stable and VRR won't be so sorely missed.

In terms of PS5. I'd expect a title like The Last of Us Part II to target 4K 60fps on PS5. Moving down the chain to PS4 Pro, if Part 1 is any indication, it'll be 4K 30fps (possibly checkerboard), with a 1080p 60fps option. Base PS4 will likely be 1080p 30fps (maybe as low as 900p).

Over the course of a generation devs try to push more into their games, so going above 60fps is highly unlikely and not worth while from a resources perspective. The majority of console users will not be able to take advantage of anything beyond this.

Last edited:
B8/C8 is already amazing for PS4 gaming so it's only going to be better for PS5! :thumbsup: I've played all these years without VRR so I'm sure I will be just fine playing on PS5 without.

2018 OLED's are a bargain right now imo.

Hi guys I've got a lg oled b8 55 do you think the ps5 and new Xbox will work on 2.0 hdmi ok

Ok I know it be 4kb60hz but still look amazing so you think it will work fine then

Ok thank you I guess sony and Xbox need to make the new consoles hdmi backwards compatible as they will lose lots of sales otherwise

B8/C8 is already amazing for PS4 gaming so it's only going to be better for PS5! :thumbsup: I've played all these years without VRR so I'm sure I will be just fine playing on PS5 without.

2018 OLED's are a bargain right now imo.
I've got B8 awesome tv hopefully the new consoles will look great on it

Guys is there someone reading these posts please as im bit concerned that i bought a new tv this year lg oled b8 and its got hdmi 2.0 will the new consoles work if there 2.1 hdmi

Guys is there someone reading these posts please as im bit concerned that i bought a new tv this year lg oled b8 and its got hdmi 2.0 will the new consoles work if there 2.1 hdmi
The new consoles will be backwards compatible with any tv that has an HDMI port. The 2.1 standard allows 4K120Hz at 4:4:4 gaming should the consoles support it - and until recenlty, the indication has been that it may be a struggle - although Sony seem confident they can support it in the PS5. Moreover, there is no known plan for any game on these consoles to run at those specs. The only gaming units arguably able to handle those specs will be PCs with the newest Nvidia cards.

It's not something to worry about. Your B8 will work absolutely fine, and you won't be missing out on much at all by not having a 2.1 enabled TV for the forseeable future.

The new consoles will be backwards compatible with any tv that has an HDMI port. The 2.1 standard allows 4K120Hz at 4:4:4 gaming should the consoles support it - and until recenlty, the indication has been that it may be a struggle - although Sony seem confident they can support it in the PS5. Moreover, there is no known plan for any game on these consoles to run at those specs. The only gaming units arguably able to handle those specs will be PCs with the newest Nvidia cards.

It's not something to worry about. Your B8 will work absolutely fine, and you won't be missing out on much at all by not having a 2.1 enabled TV for the forseeable future.
Ok thank you so basically will be getting the same we got now but just not the 2.1 features were i think its mainly for pc vrr could be ok for consoles so were get the same as we get now but slightly better as the console got better chipset etc and being more powerful just without 2.1 features were i dont think it matters much to consoles is this right buddy many thanks

Do you guys really think the new ps5 and xbox scarlett will run games at a steady 4k 120hz?

I own a top of the line game pc and i game on 4k but for getting 60fps on 4k you need a really expensive graphicscard.
So a ps5 or scarlett wich only costs like around 600 euros (estimate) couldnt be running games at 4k 120hz imo.
Yes newer graphicscards are coming, but they will be so expensive that i dont think ps5 will use these, because then the price of the ps5 will be much higher, and since consoles are family use instead of real expensive gaming pc's not everyone can afford, i dont think they will run 4k at 120hz.

There is a lot of talk yes, but every time a new console comes out people are yelling that they will be extremely powerfull....until they release....and it isnt as powerfull as we hoped.

What do you guys think?

I got a lg c9 a few days ago so i have hdmi 2.1, but i think any tv with hdmi2.0 will be also receiving the most out of ps5.

It will totally depend on the game.
Some titles may well be able to run 4K 120Hz but they will be fairly basic graphically. I expect some titles to run 4K60 with the new hardware though.
Games that really push the hardware will either run 4K30 or use the current generation upscaling techniques

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom