PS5 as BluRay player

Daysofspeed

Standard Member
Reaction score
Leaving aside no Dolby Vision support - any reason to not go for the disk version over the digital and a HD DVD player?

Using an LG C9 and looking for a PS5 but currently have no DVD player (limited use - mainly to get a few films like jaws 4K).

Is that confirmed it wont support dolby vision ?
Don't think anything is confirmed - though a post in another thread highlights that Dolby Vision is coming first to Xbox, so perhaps there will be some kind of timed exclusive.

@Daysofspeed To be really clear, DV is not just limited to discs. It can apply to games (although Sony haven't said anything on this at all), which I assume could include digital versions. DV is already applied to some programmes on streaming services (like Netflix) - Altered Carbon being an example.

Put simply, DV is just an end-to-end system of colour grading that adapts to your TV on the fly.

If you need a DVD player, that's a separate issue - and I'm sure the PS5 will be great at that.

As long as it supports HDR im not fussed about DV as my TV doesnt support it. HDR10+ is the future anyway :D

Haven’t seen DV ruled out but seems odd they would announce HDR and not DV in the spec.

Can’t pre order digital or disc anyway at present but was wondering about the dedicated DVD ba PS5 as I’ve used my PS4 for Blu-ray but this was of course ore HDR/DV.

Thanks to all for input.

For info, the PS5 review now confirms that Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos won't be supported for 4K Blu-ray playback - it's limited to HDR10.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom