PS5 Audio

Mike15111984

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As we hear more and more details emerging about ps5 Ive read that they are developing their own 3d audo which is rumoured to be very good, however when this is talked about it appears to be the general understanding that this will be good for headphone users, I have not really heard how this audio is going to sound on any home cinema systems, now with them saying that Atmos is not going to be included for games, does anyone have any info how this audio is going to play on Atmos cinema systems? I have a 5.2.2 setup but i cant find any details outlining what will happen for setups of this kind. I'm sure it will do but just can't find info on this.

Also I hope that Dolby Atmos will still be used for films.

They are bound to have Atmos and DTS-X support for movies due to the 4k Blu-ray player PS5 has, it would be incredibly stupid to not support the audio formats that 4k movies use.

As for games they are starting with headphones for their 3D tech as it's the simplest to do it on, they then will go to Tv's then surround sound systems last.

I would guess that games would just playback as they do now for TV's and Surround systems until Sony update them for the 3D stuff.

They are bound to have Atmos and DTS-X support for movies due to the 4k Blu-ray player PS5 has, it would be incredibly stupid to not support the audio formats that 4k movies use.

As for games they are starting with headphones for their 3D tech as it's the simplest to do it on, they then will go to Tv's then surround sound systems last.

I would guess that games would just playback as they do now for TV's and Surround systems until Sony update them for the 3D stuff.
Ok cheers for the reply 👍

I might buy some new headphones then. I gave my golds to my friend and bought the platinum ones but they sound no better and are the worst designed and most uncomfortable headphones I've ever had the misfortune to purchase and place atop my head! They're dreadful. The reviews were all lies.

I'm trying to find some specs for the headphones, I have some good BT headphones already.. Do I have to buy yet another set of headphones just for the PS5?

Does anyone know if you can connect blutooth headphones this time?

I bought the sony wh-1000xm3 then found out they went supported.

I dont want to use them as a headset only for listening to movies.

Cheers

PS5 is using Bluetooth 5.1 which is a decent upgrade from PS4 (2.1) and Pro (4.0)

Its good to see there is a mic in the DS5 controller and thus no need for expensive 'gaming' headsets. Can just connect a BT headset to your TV (or PS5 if it supports it) and then get voice and game audio thru the headset and send your voice thru the controller. :)

Great idea by Sony.

Not sure if their branded headset gives specific audio advantages (3D effects specific to having a Sony headset??).

If Sony have come up with their own proprietary surround sound format then no AV receiver is going to be able to decode it, so are we anticipating that there might be a choice of other, more established formats when outputting to an AVR ?

I thought I'd read Atmos wasn't going to be an option for games, which presumably means it won't be for movies either ?

If Sony have come up with their own proprietary surround sound format then no AV receiver is going to be able to decode it, so are we anticipating that there might be a choice of other, more established formats when outputting to an AVR ?

I thought I'd read Atmos wasn't going to be an option for games, which presumably means it won't be for movies either ?

Think this has already been explained earlier in the thread, but there won't be any decoding of the 3d audio after the console - it would be like the console decoding DD/DTS/whatever and passing through LPCM multichannel stream to the receiver.

Think this has already been explained earlier in the thread, but there won't be any decoding of the 3d audio after the console - it would be like the console decoding DD/DTS/whatever and passing through LPCM multichannel stream to the receiver.

I couldn't see any mention of that above - were you thinking of another thread ? :)

Hopefully the console will support and output the standard audio formats like we're used to, then. Is that the presumption ? Anything less would be a retrograde step I guess.

I've still not read any official confirmation that Dolby Vision or Atmos will be supported for movies or the streaming services but, as mentioned above, not including them would be crazy. Hopefully they'll release a full spec sheet at some point.

Every time I read these things I go on journey starting at wow that sounds great, to oh its not implemented fully yet and ending in OK, I cannot believe you haven't said if even this works on your own headphones yet. Interesting but God is in the details and Sony don't seem to do details anymore.

The recent images online of the console does show a DTS and Dolby (people are assuming Atmos) logo but that may be limited to movies and streaming services. They’ll have to support them otherwise there would be uproar

I have a Turtle Beach wireless headset with the Bluetooth dongle and optical lead, has anyone read anything about these being compatible?

I have a Turtle Beach wireless headset with the Bluetooth dongle and optical lead, has anyone read anything about these being compatible?
Unfortunately, the PS5 doses not have an optical out. I have the same issue with my Astro headset. Waiting to see what options there will be.

I want to use the PS5 as a 4k UHD player but will it have the separate Audio Out HDMI port that my Sony 4k Player has, as my amp can't pass through 4k video so I need to use that to get HD sound.

I get the feeling it wont, apart from upgrading my sound system I guess I'd have to stick with my Sony 4k player?

Unfortunately, the PS5 doses not have an optical out. I have the same issue with my Astro headset. Waiting to see what options there will be.
I’m hoping they still work wirelessly with the USB dongle, and I can get the 3D from the PS5 Tempest engine....

Astro are updating th a50s at least on x box to use hdmi audio rather than the opticL..perhaps they have the same idea here?

You would have thought so as HDMI exceeds Optical these days.

Read through the Astro Blog post again and thought this was interesting:-

'For Surround Sound, the ASTRO A50 and MixAmp Pro TR can utilize Dolby Audio via the ASTRO hardware directly. The A10 and A40 headsets can receive PS5 3D Audio via the PS5 controller'

Does that mean the PS5 3D audio can't be output over USB/HDMI or just that Astro want to promote the built in Dolby option in their hardware?

I was counting on the Tempest Engine audio being output over USB for the (non Astro) set up I have.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom