PS5 Backward Compatability

shoestring25

Im more than happy for all my games to be one one console and with maybe better load times and maybe a boost mode running ps4 games on a ps5 will do me just fine

GhostRider17

This is a really good move from SONY and assuming it really is 100% compatible with PS4 games then it's possibly a launch day buy for me!

apolloa

If it offers native PS3 compatibility then it’ll be great!

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Sounds like they're struggling with PS4 compatibility atm, can't find the link, but without a confirmed strategy from Sony, I would assume it could be a slow roll out with not all games supported out of the box on launch day. Hope I'm wrong..

Jimster71

Distinguished Member
Sounds like they're struggling with PS4 compatibility atm, can't find the link, but without a confirmed strategy from Sony, I would assume it could be a slow roll out with not all games supported out of the box on launch day. Hope I'm wrong..
I suspect it is a marketing requirement and the tech guys are trying to figure out how to implement it.

apolloa

I very much doubt that, although they could run it through emulation I suppose.
You seem to be incredibly pessimistic about this?
Considering they already run older games through streaming then you’d suppose right, PS4 games will run natively though and many expect it to offer native bakcwards compatibility with PS1, 2 and 3. We will see but Sony have filed patents for systems to do this.

Jimster71

Distinguished Member
You seem to be incredibly pessimistic about this?
Considering they already run older games through streaming then you’d suppose right, PS4 games will run natively though and many expect it to offer native bakcwards compatibility with PS1, 2 and 3. We will see but Sony have filed patents for systems to do this.
There have been rumours around today that they are looking at supporting all playstation generations on PS5, so maybe they will offer that?

I'll likely just be playing the PS5 games and use backwards compatibility for VR games.

Fe_man2000

I would not expect PS1-3 emulation to be working on the PS5, this had been seen as a lot of hard work due to the more bespoke hardware used in these consoles compared to the X86 world that the PS4 is now in. I dont think it will get done.

I do expect PS4 BC will be working on the PS5 my only concern is Sony's record with there back end infrastucture being badly designed which was seen with how much time it took them to sort out name changes for example. Hopefully there wont be similar issues moving forward. (e.g.its not the hardware emulation of the PS4 on the PS5 that causes problems but issues with some legacy requirement in the UI or online play )

Bottom line neither MS or Sony are in the position to allow Backward compatibilty to not function, we all have online libraries of games from this gen which MUST be accessible on the new hardware hence they will both ensure it will work at launch or at least very soon after worst case scenario.

Imagine the damage done to the brand not having this working on Sonys Console when Xbox has it on launch day or vice versa. Thats what I mean when I say they cannot allow it, Bad press about being All ways online put MS way behind Sony in sales this entire Generation (that and a few others things of course) neither will want " your current library of games wont work on XXX console" headlines prior to Xmas. Before BC was a nice to have for your old disc, now most people have invested in an digital ecosystem and it has to carry forward.

Last edited:

apolloa

There have been rumours around today that they are looking at supporting all playstation generations on PS5, so maybe they will offer that?

I'll likely just be playing the PS5 games and use backwards compatibility for VR games.
Sony have confirmed PlayStation Now will be on the PS5:

So weather they include the ability to play physical disks in the PS5 or not is up in the air, lots and lots of rumours circulating claiming it will support PS4 disks though which I don’t think will take much, considering they are both X86 platforms.
Still it does mean the PS5 will play older PS games as a fact, through the PS Now service.

Jimster71

Distinguished Member
Sony have confirmed PlayStation Now will be on the PS5:

So weather they include the ability to play physical disks in the PS5 or not is up in the air, lots and lots of rumours circulating claiming it will support PS4 disks though which I don’t think will take much, considering they are both X86 platforms.
Still it does mean the PS5 will play older PS games as a fact, through the PS Now service.
I would have been more surprised if PS Now wasn't on PS5.

Sony curate the games available on that, so it's not proper backwards compatibility.

apolloa

I would have been more surprised if PS Now wasn't on PS5.

Sony curate the games available on that, so it's not proper backwards compatibility.
How do you mean it’s not ‘proper backwards compatibility’? That makes no sense at all!!..

Jimster71

Distinguished Member
How do you mean it’s not ‘proper backwards compatibility’? That makes no sense at all!!..
It means that you don't have the choice of which old games you can play, you are restricted to what Sony says you can play.

If I wanted to play my PS3 copy of Need For Speed: Most wanted, with backwards compatibility I could, with PS Now, I can't.

zt1903

Distinguished Member
It means that you don't have the choice of which old games you can play, you are restricted to what Sony says you can play.

If I wanted to play my PS3 copy of Need For Speed: Most wanted, with backwards compatibility I could, with PS Now, I can't.
Exactly, PS Now is a subscription streaming service that also offers old games.

Backwards compatibility means that I can play the games I bought on an old platform on the current one.

PS Now could potentially support backwards compatibility if it, for example, validated your ownership of a game (physically by inserting the disc and/or digitally through your account) and then allowed you to play it via the PS Now service without a further fee. But that’s not what it does now.

It’s not the only way that Sony could support BC on PS5 though.

apolloa

From what I’m hearing I was right originally and the PS5 indeed offer native backwards compatibility. We will see though next year but it looks more certain then not at present.