Question PS5 or Xbox Series X?

montys1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi peeps,
Been a PS4 gamer since launch, going back I’ve had a PS1, PS3 and Xbox , 360, Xbone. Having seen the specs of the PS5/Xbox Series X I’m leaning towards the Xbox.
I know it’s not all about Teraflops, and as much as I love Sony exclusives like Last of Us, Uncharted and Horizon I just have a gut feeling Microsoft have learnt from their previous shortcomings and pulled out a winner. Obviously very early days and more info and launch titles etc. to follow but I think that’s the way I’m gonna go.
What about you?

Nice, If I had the dosh I’d do the same. Sadly not an option nowadays. I’ve missed Halo and Gears to be fair.

This is what I would do in buying both not at the same time.

Buy one when it's at an acceptable price, new version released (Think PS4 Pro and Xbox One X) and then buy the other one at a later date or even a few years down the road.

That’s a cunning plan

Most of MS exclusives on pc now so PS5 for me.
I doubt any of us will see any diffference's in games like cod and fifa.
Seeing as crossplay will be standard then i have no need to buy both as it stands.

Most of MS exclusives on pc now so PS5 for me.
I doubt any of us will see any diffference's in games like cod and fifa.
Seeing as crossplay will be standard then i have no need to buy both as it stands.
Fair comment.
I’m genuinely on the fence and could go either way. I’m going to leave it till the death and wait for the full SP on both and launch titles etc. and splurge then.

Same position here. Im console agnostic, I've owned 2 PS, 3 Xbox and 3 Nintendo over the years. Aged 50+. This time I'm determined to buy just one console. I like driving (more free roam TDU/FH than pure racers), free roam adventure like Skyrim/Zelda/HZD and de-stressors like Journey/Flower/Animal Crossing in equal measure. I'd add some easy platforming to those as well. Not into multiplayer at all. Not sure what to get this time round.

I’m 50+ too. Never really liked racing games although I loved the first 2 Project Gotham games they were so addictive and a breath of fresh air. Mainly play stuff like Division, Borderlands, Destiny - good for single player or multiplayer. Last of Us and Uncharted were favourites. Lots of pluses on both consoles. I’d rather just get one of them and I’m happy to wait until all is revealed instead of the dripfed BS so far. Or technobabble.

Last edited:
I loved the Sony playsation but taking into account the studios Microsoft has bought plus it being the more powerful unit. and the Elite series 2 controller. you have all the parts for the best consoled to date. just hopping they dont mess it up :)

I hear what you’re saying. I saw the controller reveal yesterday and I guess it’s not always how it looks but how it works is what counts. Certainly divided opinion but there always is when discussing these 2 platforms. Sony certainly aren’t standing still but even though Microsoft have put all their cards on the table I feel Sony will fall short. Although they will have their first party exclusives.

10 years ago I'd have gotten both but am limited to how much I play now so not really an option.

I'll probably get the ps5 as use the ps4 this generation and have invested a lot in games which I can hopefully carry over to the ps5.

Last gen I had ps3, xbox360 and wii but before that only had original xbox and ps1, so theres no fanboyism in my decision, just purely from the trophy progression and backward compatability from this gen.

Edit: oh, and to use my psvr also

Yep valid points. I don’t particularly wanna be double dipping for a title I’ve already got .

I'm more invested in the Xbox platform with Game Pass Ultimate paid up for the next 3-years already. I prefer the Xbox off-set sticks and I love the Elite controller. However, I am likely going for PS5 first this time around.

My main Xbox addiction on Xbox OG was Halo 2, on Xbox 360 it was the Gears of War series. Now, after the new studios have taken the reigns on those games, I am just very fatigued with the Gears of War franchise. I have got the achievements on every single game (currently chipping away at the most recent release). I have also whored the achievements on every standalone Halo game.

I despised the campaign on Halo 5, but I am still looking forward to Halo Infinite. It's cross-gen and also coming to Xbox One, and I am still very content with my Xbox One X console and its ability to push a great high-resolution HDR image to my 4K OLED.

The main reasons I am eyeing up PS5 is for the confirmed VR support, I have not yet dipped my toe into the VR world (hoping Half Life Alyx gets ported). However, it's mainly for The Last of Us Part II and wanting to play the best possible version. This too will presumably be a cross-gen title and also enhanced for PS5. I am leaning towards PS5 in particular for The Last of Us Part II's multiplayer mode.

I was gutted to hear that this mode was delayed but relieved all the same that it appears to still be in the works.

I figure this will be my new 'Goto MP game', and even if I went for Xbox Series X, I know I'll just be sinking most of my time into The Last of Us II multiplayer on PS4 Pro - meaning the Series X would just be gathering dust for the better part of a year.

PS5 seems like the logical choice despite my one-sided investment in the Xbox platform. Ultimately I've had the most fun playing games on PS4 this generation, from Marvel's Spider-man, God of War, Days Gone, The Last of Us Remastered and Uncharted 4. On Xbox the only exclusives that spring to mind as being AAA must-play for their time were the original Titanfall - but overall I'd say Playground's Forza Horizon series was Xbox One's saving grace on the exclusive front.

i feel good about Xbox again as well. With their new leadership and push for power with Xbox One X, and really Game Pass seems like their biggest killer app with exclusives launching into the service on their release date. The most exciting thing about Xbox next-gen is rather the unknown, just the fact they now have a lot more studios making exclusives, and us all being completely oblivious to what is coming for Xbox - I think that's pretty exciting.

With no commitment to VR (yet) by Microsoft, my main concern is it'll just be more of the same. I want to try some new experiences and VR looks like it's worth a try, and hopefully it'll be much improved for PS5.

When Microsoft's exclusives stop coming to Xbox One - allegedly all exclusives will be cross-gen for two years - then it may be time to consider the Series X, at least those are my thoughts on next-gen right now.

Last edited:
Interesting times ahead for sure. You make some good points. Last of Us blew me away with how gripping and immersive it was. So well executed easily head and shoulders above anything else IMHO. I wonder what the second instalment will run like on a PS5 compared to PS4Pro and what the extra knobs and whistles will bring to the party. Especially so early in the PS5 development.

That said I’m still staying on the fence console wise, lots more detail needed and more info about titles before I pull the trigger. No doubt I will end up with both but with a sensible gap. Gap length to be determined by SWMBO.😬

I’ll tell you what I think, if you have a very powerful PC that you can easily run any game and maybe year after year you want to upgrade it then ok, keep the PC and maybe in addition you can take the exclusive ps5 so that you do both otherwise having xbox series x and ps5 together for me is not worth it...

I’ll tell you what I think, if you have a very powerful PC that you can easily run any game and maybe year after year you want to upgrade it then ok, keep the PC and maybe in addition you can take the exclusive ps5 so that you do both otherwise having xbox series x and ps5 together for me is not worth it...

How much is a very powerful PC nowadays when you include a display , serious question as I'm well out of touch .....

How much is a very powerful PC nowadays when you include a display , serious question as I'm well out of touch .....
well of course you have to reckon that you will have more addons to add, you will have to put your hand to the wallet, but having done this step you will be in place for a while, then you can only upgrade your system

Following the PS5 reveal we now know a bit more about the Sony beast. And it is a beast part Virgin Superhub and part American fridge/freezer. Although to be fair the Series X is not a looker. Following the Sony reveal I’m underwhelmed. No real stonking new IPs, lots of twee indie games, hard to tell a lot of the images apart from what a PS4 can throw out. How many of them are launch titles? Thrilled about Demons Souls however - best thing on the PS3 but on the nextgen remaster you have to choose between graphics or frame rate. Wow Seriously?! Yep. Underwhelmed.

Currently on a PS4 Pro which to be honest is pretty much only used as a Home Theatre system for catch up, Netflix and music!

Been eyeing up the PS5 but not sure currently as all my hardware is black (Black Pioneer amp, black speaker grilles etc) and the Xbox looks a bit more friendly aesthetically to use as a multimedia system too (I like the matt black).

Was hoping the PS5 would come in an all black variation. Those exclusives though!

Saying that, I wish I had time to play nowadays!

It is quite divisive the black and white. They must have an all black version on the cards as you say will look horrific amongst an all black set up.
Time to play indeed is not what it used to be!

I was a little underwhelmed by the PS5 announcement/games reveal. Nothing really excited me apart from Resident Evil VIII (which won't be an exclusive as far as I know), Project Athia and the new Spiderman - which I've heard is more of a semi-sequel (along the lines of what The Lost Legacy was for Uncharted 4).

I think taking the above into account, as well as the XSX having more powerful hardware, if I do buy a console at launch it will probably be the Xbox - assuming there are some more interesting titles on offer.

I love PlayStation and have always had one - big fan of Uncharted, The Last of Us etc. But considering how long these games take to develop, it's going to be years before we see a big Naughty Dog game released.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom