PS5, what will it be ?

raduv1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
PS5/XBOX2 ,What do you expect a console or a cloud ? My music and my books all come from DD films however are BD as its the best format ATM. I almost always go physical in games because of trade in value at this point in time. With 4k and faster connection speeds do you see a gaming future without the console ? When DD of films is on par or better than BD I will adopt and store all my films online and cost as well as ease of use goes for gaming also. Its not here as a finished product yet but its making progress for the tv gamer .

Your thoughts on this will be better than mine as a community.

Couldn't really say until we near the end of this cycle. So much can change in 5 years....ish

Yup I know we are all new in this gen but I like to ponder on whats next . its just a where next for the console if we get one and what form it will be. A console or a service ?

Wild boar pate strong cheese and port makes you think of these things...its very important :)

Surely this should be posted in the PS5 section?

"What... there is no PS5 section?"

No Xbox TWO section either... or WiiU 2 :p

It is certainly tricky to speculate at this stage, but that doesn't mean that it isn't fun to do so I guess. My views at this point are this...

I feel that internet speeds will soon become a none issue for most (even I can get upto around 50-70meg here now) and all but the most rural will be able to enjoy high speed internet in 5-7 years time. Latency is more of an issue however.

I can see a solution where games download the bits they need from the cloud, just as they do from a disc now (as opposed to streaming the title from a server). I reckon that internet speeds for most will be as fast as they need to be for most (say 1tb/s or more) in around 7 years time and that new levels, scenes, tracks etc. will be able to download from the cloud as required by the game in almost the same speed that they load from a physical disc/hard drive on today's consoles.

This gives us the ability to store all games in the cloud and therefore get the benefits of steaming, but with the performance of local play from physical media. I may be wrong and who knows, they may get latency down from say 20m/s to a stable 1-5m/s to make twitch gaming feasible and that would be great. I guess if games could be streamed that effectively then that would be the ideal solution as hardware would cease to be an issue and it would mean that we wouldn't have to splash out on expensive PC hardware to get the very best gaming performance. Games could be run on the very highest end equipment and streamed to dumb terminals, TV's, STBs, tablets etc. to deliver high end gaming to all. Hardware could be upgraded constantly at the servers delivering the same performance to everyone.

So really it comes down to two things - Internet speeds(Bandwidth) and Latency. Bandwidth (i.e. whether you can download 5mb/s or 1000mb/s) is down to the availability and how 'fat' the cabling is and this is easier to fix. Latency is down to distance to the server and also the cable (but mainly distance). Fibre has vastly improved bandwidth and latency to an extent (my latency was around 50ms pre fibre and is about 21ms now), but unless they have lots of local data servers (which would be very expensive), I don't see latency dropping that much. That said i'm not expert in this area so my assessment could be a bit off. For me though, I see the cost of solid state memory dropping all of the time and internet speeds vastly increasing.

To bit this in context - a single speed blu ray disc reads at around 36Mb/s (which translates to around 4.5MB of data per second. This is basically the speed of my internet now. The PS4 drive runs at 6x so is roughly the speed of a 200Mb/s connection with around 25MB of data being able to be streamed from it per second. The way I see the cloud being really effective for gaming is in using it like a big HDD, not to stream games in their entirity. Games have already started to allow this to an extent by letting us start playing whilst downloading and I can see this side of gaming really developing over this generation.

For Sony, I feel that they could really push this with Uncharted 4. If they did it so that you could start playing the game almost instantly - i.e. click download and then it is available to play instantly. This takes you to the main menu where there's perhaps a cut scene to open the game, then the pre game menus and then once you've done that, the first stage will have downloaded. As you are playing through that, stage 2 will be downloading etc.

I guess away from how games will be delivered is how we will play games in the next gen. I see this gen being the true birth of VR and I feel that it will really take off when it finally comes to market. It will be a period of testing the water and finding out what works and doesn't and getting the controls for VR right will also be a challenge. I feel that the next gen will really push on in this area however and will deliver some extremely lifelike VR games. I can even see this leading to some fairly strict regulation of gaming in a way that it has not been previously subjected to. VR is something that could really have a psycological effect on folk as if done to a certain level, it can really trick the brain into believing that things which are not real...are. I'm sure that there will be a lot of study into its effects, but I for one can not wait for VR to hit us properly. Gaming will just never be the same again!

My views in summary :-

- Another physical console with hardware in our homes
- Games streamed in chunks to deliver offline performance but without the need for large local storage
- VR becoming the main way we interact with games and a significant move away from the traditional TV display we have now

I feel that internet speeds will soon become a none issue for most (even I can get upto around 50-70meg here now) and all but the most rural will be able to enjoy high speed internet in 5-7 years time. Latency is more of an issue however.

All but the most rural and those living in St Helens. Apparently St Helens Council hate BT and are doing their best to block them from doing any work on fibre provision.

I don't see it as very likely that there will be another round of traditional console boxes. I suspect there might be games streaming boxes or cloud gaming boxes of some sort. But I think another round of traditional local compute consoles is highly unlikely.

I honestly hope we don't move away from offline gaming experiences. Still, some of the best gaming moments I have are on single player offline games. Wolfenstein, Tomb Raider, P.T., Metro Redux, etc (and those are just recent games I've been playing).

I truly want to see a PS5, a 6, a 7, and 8. I think the first console to get out of the market will be from MS. They are so heavily invested in the cloud that it only makes sense for them to make some kind of streaming box with the ability to hook up controllers to.

I'm not saying I don't want the consoles to evolve because I do, but I also want them to stay the same. If that makes sense.

I honestly hope we don't move away from offline gaming experiences. Still, some of the best gaming moments I have are on single player offline games. Wolfenstein, Tomb Raider, P.T., Metro Redux, etc (and those are just recent games I've been playing).

I truly want to see a PS5, a 6, a 7, and 8. I think the first console to get out of the market will be from MS. They are so heavily invested in the cloud that it only makes sense for them to make some kind of streaming box with the ability to hook up controllers to.

I'm not saying I don't want the consoles to evolve because I do, but I also want them to stay the same. If that makes sense.

Perhaps a choice. Buy the download and keep it on your small PSBox to play whenever or Stream it via the PS5 app on your new tv :)

Sony are already talking about the PS5 potentially being a cloud console.

Also I'd argue that Sony have already taken steps towards this with their games streaming services. Further than MS have gone in this direction so far.

Also I'd argue that Sony have already taken steps towards this with their games streaming services. Further than MS have gone in this direction so far.
Your butt has streaming services.

lol... yah, they certainly are doing quite a bit with the whole PSNow bit, but they are renting server space from rackspace iirc. MS own the server space so I can see them moving to it sooner rather than later.

This is the last gen of consoles as we know it.

I think that it's nailed on that the next round of consoles will be cloud based with no physical media. I doubt that they will stream games in the Onlive/PSNow fashion however as I just see the latency always being an issue, especially for twitch gaming. Remote play on the same network works well with PSTV and Vita, but even then, for twitch gaming it's a bit of a no no.

As stated above, I see BB speeds increasing vastly and technically, if they get upto around 200meg then you would be able to download actual game data via the internet as quickly as you could via a Blu Ray disc in the PS4. Sure, this requires hardware in the home (as opposed to just dumb terminals etc.) but would allow for lag free gaming.

Now, having said all of that (as stated above), if they can crack the latency issue, then that would be ideal. If they could somehow reproduce the offscreen Wii U ability via the internet then they will have cracked it. As things stand though, that does seem a way off.

This is the last gen of consoles as we know it.
I read this headline, settled back with my cup of coffee and a brace of hob nobs and started to read your post. Unfortunately it seems to have gone awry as I can't find it anywhere. This is a shame as it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on how the next generation will turn out.

I do agree with your headline, but am left wondering how and why you feel that this will be the case.

I read this headline, settled back with my cup of coffee and a brace of hob nobs and started to read your post. Unfortunately it seems to have gone awry as I can't find it anywhere. This is a shame as it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on how the next generation will turn out.

I do agree with your headline, but am left wondering how and why you feel that this will be the case.
I like to promote thought in others. Not tell them what to think. I can make you a visionary, you just need to open your mind. :p;)

I am pretty sure there were claims the PS3 would be the last console with onboard storage and optical drives etc. A decade on and the PS4 came with a HDD and a blu-ray drive. If the PS5 is to be a 4k console it will need a large HDD and some kind of optical drive.

Please let one of your resolutions be less jokes....
I might... if I ever made resolutions. No one keeps them so why even make them? If I want to make a change I'll just do it whenever I get the inkling, not wait until the first day of the new year.

i think it'll be some time before we see the demise of the physical console. Services like PS Now offering game streaming will become more prevalent but IMHO will, for the forseeable future, lag behind what is possible on a physical device.

At some point we may indeed move toward gaming as a service with TV sets having the necessary processing power built in but I think we're at least a couple of generations away from that.

I might... if I ever made resolutions. No one keeps them so why even make them? If I want to make a change I'll just do it whenever I get the inkling, not wait until the first day of the new year.
Ohhh you rebel.

But still, less jokes.

I like to promote thought in others. Not tell them what to think. I can make you a visionary, you just need to open your mind. :p;)
I don't think that you can tell folk what to think, but it's great to hear what others think on a forum as this can lead to discussion breaking out. So how do you think the PS5 will be? Do you think that there will even be a PS5?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom