PS5 General Chat

Maybe a cheeky bit of goats cheese...

Wow, your life must be very interesting seeing everthing in HDR. You can say WRONG as many times as you like. Doesnt make YOU right does it.

I'm glad you can google what HDR really is though. And spreading mis-information? Please dont think owning an OLED with DV makes you the expert.

You explained Dolby Vision as 'exaggerated HDR' which it isn't.

You need to do some reading, honestly, if you want to talk about the advantages and disadvantages of HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. This is getting embarassing.

You are very very very wrong, and if you want to post some resources to back up your invalid claims, please do so.

So are the OLED fanboys that huddle together like little school children thinking they are the bee's knee's and that anyone who opposes them are wrong.

You won't change your mind and neither will I so I'll withhold from replying to your posts :smashin:

This isn't about OLED fanboys. This is about you not understanding what Dolby Vision is and trying to tell someone its just exaggerated HDR, which it isn't.

You're lying through your teeth and trying to push the argument towards OLED fanboys to distract from your embarassing lack of knowledge on a topic you wish to keep talking about.

From an engineering point of view the Xbox Series X is a more expensive and elegant solution. The PS5 is effectively just a massive heatsink inside a massive box.
1603207980590.png

Isn't that what the XBsX is?

View attachment 1385243
Isn't that what the XBsX is?

Have you seen the PS5 one? Xbox SX is vapour cooled as air is drawn from one end to the other. PS5 is just trying to dissipate over a large area. Nothing wrong with either solution they both work. But series X is definitely more innovative from a design and engineering point of view.

That is their cooling solution. It will work but that's literally it.
The conversation "was" along the lines of the overall console design.... It's clearly more than a big heatsink in a box, but we each have our ideas...

So now the cooling system is just a big heatsink in a box? Liquid Metal, though. If that isn't innovative, I don't know what is? Sony explained that specific design choice in relation to BOM cost, and have thrown the money at the most effective heat transfer solution, saving money on a more traditional heatsink.

You're on good form today...

The conversation "was" along the lines of the overall console design.... It's clearly more than a big heatsink in a box, but we each have our ideas...

So now the cooling system is just a big heatsink in a box? Liquid Metal, though. If that isn't innovative, I don't know what is? Sony explained that specific design choice in relation to BOM cost, and have thrown the money at the most effective heat transfer solution, saving money on a more traditional heatsink.

You're on good form today...

Digital Foundry said basically word for word the same as I have. Sony went for an overall cheaper solution. It’s fine. And they’ve clearly put some thought into liquid metal. But that isn’t impacting on the console design. The form factors of the two consoles are dictated by their overall cooling choices. Not sure why you are upset. Sony have chosen a more traditional and conservative solution but that doesn’t make it bad. It just is what it is.

Have you seen the PS5 one? Xbox SX is vapour cooled as air is drawn from one end to the other. PS5 is just trying to dissipate over a large area. Nothing wrong with either solution they both work. But series X is definitely more innovative from a design and engineering point of view.
Yes.

Could spin it the other way, Xbox is using thermal paste, ps5 is using the more innovative liquid metal cooling interface.
Being a mechanical design engineer myself, who until recently worked in the electronics industry designing enclosures for high value broadcast telemetry equipment, I was far more impressed with Sonys solution.

Digital Foundry said basically word for word the same as I have. Sony went for an overall cheaper solution. It’s fine. And they’ve clearly put some thought into liquid metal. But that isn’t impacting on the console design. The form factors of the two consoles are dictated by their overall cooling choices. Not sure why you are upset. Sony have chosen a more traditional and conservative solution but that doesn’t make it bad. It just is what it is.
I'm not upset, far from it - I'm just always impressed with the angles you come in at.
If you read back, that's more to the point of exactly what I started out saying. Sony have gone more traditional with the components and motherboard layout, apart from the cooling IMO.

Vapour chambers aren't new, magic tech either as they've been around for years and done before with XB1X, and if Sony hadn't gone for liquid metal they'd have had to employ one too, but didn't need to alongside the liquid metal as it'd have been overkill and profit down the pan... it's just a choice, and one that allowed them for a more traditional motherboard layout and lower BOM cost to boot.

2 consoles (both big uns by the way) with different form factors and design ideologies.

As I said earlier the Series X is basically a glorified NZXT H1 mini-ITX case with a specifically designed cooling solution. Kind of :)

BTW, when I was designing my electronics housings, I wish I was allowed to go bigger, was a nightmare trying to squeeze all the PCBs into the tiny space available, such as under the seat of the MotoGP bikes. :laugh:

Well they did support betamax.....

We lived virtually across the road from the local video shop back in the day, they had thousands of VHS titles and about 2 Betamax titles.

Dad brought a Betamax. Seen Rocky 465 times.

Its really not. HDR is static metadata. DV is scene by scene.

One is clearly superior to the other.

On what basis or grounds do you think its over exaggerated HDR? If anything, its more subtle and producing a more natural picture as its frame by frame calibrated whilst HDR is static and applied over the entire film.

I love how people discard features just because their TVs lack them.

Brilliant post... the last paragraph being the best part and the truth.

Brilliant post... the last paragraph being the best part and the truth.

Maybe I'm weird but I've encountered it a lot on the forum. People are very emotionally attached to their tech purchases and don't like to think there is better out there. Rational thought seems to go out of the window.

I am the opposite. I am fairly content with some of the stuff I've bought but I'm always open minded to more superior pieces of technology; whether its speakers, TVs, GPUs etc. Whether I can afford them or not, I'll always be fairly unbiased about it all.

Maybe I'm weird but I've encountered it a lot on the forum. People are very emotionally attached to their tech purchases and don't like to think there is better out there. Rational thought seems to go out of the window.

I am the opposite. I am fairly content with some of the stuff I've bought but I'm always open minded to more superior pieces of technology; whether its speakers, TVs, GPUs etc. Whether I can afford them or not, I'll always be fairly unbiased about it all.

An honest and insightful post.

I'm not sure this thread is for you? :confused:

If I wanted a tv with DV I would have bought one. I have HDR10+ which does a similar thing anyway. Do I care which one the TV uses, nope, because 99% of viewers wont be able to tell the difference between them.

For someone who doesn't care... you're getting pretty worked up about it?

DV is the superior tech as @kenshingintoki has explained. So your TV is lacking the better specification. I thought we all wanted the highest spec TV and that's what we aspire to?

An honest and insightful post.

I'm not sure this thread is for you? :confused:

I have started to gather this in general lol.

I find especially with the tech purchases related to gaming, there is a lot of emotion and excitement related to their purchases or pre-orders and some common sense rational thought seems to rain on people's parades and offend them easily.

I'm still shocked people get so flustered and worked up about technology.

For example in this Dolby Vision 'debate', its all readily available information via something as simple as google.. strange how we end up debating facts which are readily available for ALL of us just by a simple open up google tab and punch in a few keys and click a few links.

On the home cinema side of things (speakers, AVR, displays), people seem to be a lot more critical and open to the higher end solutions out there.

I have started to gather this in general lol.

I find especially with the tech purchases related to gaming, there is a lot of emotion and excitement related to their purchases or pre-orders and some common sense rational thought seems to rain on people's parades and offend them easily.

I'm still shocked people get so flustered and worked up about technology.

For example in this Dolby Vision 'debate', its all readily available information via something as simple as google.. strange how we end up debating facts which are readily available for ALL of us just by a simple open up google tab and punch in a few keys and click a few links.

On the home cinema side of things (speakers, AVR, displays), people seem to be a lot more critical and open to the higher end solutions out there.

And there's always the 'diminishing returns' aspect to many things AV related. You start to pay more for ever smaller gains.

I'm astounded at the lack of knowledge regarding DV but you've explained it intricately and succinctly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom