PSVR General

Wont be paying £300 for it thats for sure. I'd rather get an upstairs console for that lol.

Will see but i may even skip the first gen and get the better second gen one :)

256px-Project_Morhpeus_at_GDC_2014.jpg

Interesting design changes since the first big unveil... black man still not included...

16085436134_8638ef12c2_b.jpg

Asian not included.

I've already got a couple of move controllers, but I reckon this would make me feel sick to use. Either that or I'll trip over the dog.

Any particular reason why? I know some people were nauseous using early builds of Occ Rift - including myself - but I was under the impression that this problem had been solved, both on the current OR build and on Morpheus.

Any particular reason why? I know some people were nauseous using early builds of Occ Rift - including myself - but I was under the impression that this problem had been solved, both on the current OR build and on Morpheus.

I get travel sick quite easily and even got a bit queasy watching a 3D film at an IMAX. I'd have to try one out before I'd buy.

I get travel sick quite easily and even got a bit queasy watching a 3D film at an IMAX. I'd have to try one out before I'd buy.

I have the same problem Jimster. Would be a shame to miss out on this development because of nausea. Hopefully they have resolved this issue in the newer versions.

Last edited:
This is a deffo buy for me - not really fussed about price. I think VR with the new specs is easily as good as the release of a new console.

However, I can't remember the last time Sony stuck to a release date announcement. I reckon this will be a least Christmas 2016 over here and 2017 wouldn't surprise me TBH.

I'll give you that one but ;) but that's a pretty rare exception.

I'm hoping Morpheus is another exception as I'll be pre-ordering as soon as.

AMAZE!

I have a rule: any add-on accessory for a console, should cost less than the console itself.
Does look good though.
My TV cost £2500 so i'm stuffed there lol.

I don't care if I need to play with a sick bucket in front of me...Can't wait for VR!

I'll give you that one but ;) but that's a pretty rare exception.

I'm hoping Morpheus is another exception as I'll be pre-ordering as soon as.
When have they not? The only time I remember them delaying was the PS3, due to the whole Blu Ray situation.

When have they not? The only time I remember them delaying was the PS3, due to the whole Blu Ray situation.

It's constant - DriveClub is the recent example that immediately springs to my mind but I've owned enough Sony consoles and waited for enough constantly delayed release dates to get a little cynical. If you've come from XBox land youre maybe not aware of the Gran Turismo 5 thing we went through not so long ago.

It's constant - DriveClub is the recent example that immediately springs to my mind but I've owned enough Sony consoles and waited for enough constantly delayed release dates to get a little cynical. If you've come from XBox land youre maybe not aware of the Gran Turismo 5 thing we went through not so long ago.
That's Evolution though, sure they are owned by Sony, but it's a software house and games are always being delayed. A game being delayed is very different to a console.

I'm pretty lost for words regarding the GT5 comment, given that from the launch of the Japanese version of GT5p, I was one of the most active members of the GT community on these forums. By the time the actual final game was released I was just about done with it, having played the prologue pretty much weekly for nearly 3 years before launch. Polyphony Digital have always been a law unto themselves though and have always had the freedom to only launch a GT game when they feel ready.

I like to play video games, I don't come from any console land. It matters not which console a game is on IMO.

I've bought every piece of Sony (Playstation) gaming hardware (TV consoles and Handhelds) and the only one I recall being delayed was the PS3. The likes of the PSP and PS2 didn't come out in the UK until around 9 months later and 6 months later respectively, but that was not down to delay, just planned release dates due to production. 1 delay in 6 major console releases is not really that bad a record and the reasons for the PS3 delay were well documented as Sony had the significant issue of the HD format war to win. They needed the PS3 to be a vehicle for their Blu Ray format and given that the PS3 still ended up selling more than the 360 and that they won the HD format war, I guess their decision proved to be the right one.

That does sound amazing. Stuff like when you grab the phone and bring your hand to your ear so that you can then hear the phone is amazing. This isn't just a development to gaming, it will completely revolutonise gaming to the extent that we will look back in 5-10 years and laugh about how we used to play games on tv screens.

Clearly it's still very early days for the technology and it's only now that VR is finally becoming a commercial viability in the home. With the pace of technological development in not only computer hardware, but also display technology, in 10-20 years time we will be immersed in virtual worlds which will be hard to separate from reality itself. That is both extremely exciting and also pretty scary! The technology also has far reaching possibilities beyond gaming i'd say as well. It could revolutionise home cinema, making it far more immersive than ever before. It could even be used for remote working to bring workers together in a virtual meeting room. I can see there being some big ethical issues however and potentially psycological issues, where the brain struggles to separate virtual reality from reality.

I really can't wait to get my hands on this though and see the next 10 years as being one of the most exciting period in gaming full stop (and that's from someone (as many of us are) who was there at the very start).

I'm really looking forward to VR so this is a Day 1 purchase for me.

Been waiting for this since at least 1992!

lawnmowerman-main.jpg

I'm really looking forward to VR so this is a Day 1 purchase for me.

Been waiting for this since at least 1992!

lawnmowerman-main.jpg
Agreed, it's extremely exciting. Everything we experience in reality is basically a virtual reality processed by our brains and each and every one of us processes the information slightly differently (despite us all being in the same world). There's no reason why VR can not become indistinguishable from our current perceived reality in time as once the brain is fooled, it is fooled. You only have to look at optical illusions to understand actually how easy it is for the brain to be fooled and that a lot of what we 'see' is actually processed by the brain to fill in the gaps.

I'm 100 times more excited by the launch of Morpheus than I was for the launch of the PS4 itself. It really will be a game changer IMO.

I don't care if I need to play with a sick bucket in front of me...Can't wait for VR!

Brace yourself though. Be careful of what you wish for! I was lucky enough to own an Oculus Rift (V1) and it was the most impressive bit of kit I had ever seen. (I later bought the V2, but never even got it out of the box as my PC wasn't man enough for the job).

I have longed for VR my whole life and OR didn't disappoint, its truely staggering and if Morpheus is only 1/2 as good, you are going to be blown away when you experience VR for the first time. I would say that my time with the OR was literally life changing.. "Titans Of Space" was jaw dropping!

The last time I saw VR was back in the early 90s when they had some arcade machines and they were truly terrible.. Modern VR is infinitely better than that!

However.. Thats the good news.. The bad news is that despite the fact that I have never been motion/travel sick in my life, certain things in the O.R made me want to puke, it was unbearable.. But worse was that the feeling didn't stop, when you took the headset off.. Infact it got worse..

I wrote at the time that this could be the very problem which stops VR becoming a success and was told "they will work it out".. But I am not so sure.

The thing which tipped me over the edge was "moving" and "strafing" at the same time... That immediately gave me a full sweat on!

I am going to be first in the queue for a Morpheus.. I simply can't wait until a "retail" product comes along.. But I fear that many people (including myself) Will never be able to get used to the 'sickness'! But I am happy to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
Brace yourself though. Be careful of what you wish for! I was lucky enough to own an Oculus Rift (V1) and it was the most impressive bit of kit I had ever seen. (I later bought the V2, but never even got it out of the box as my PC wasn't man enough for the job).

I have longed for VR my whole life and OR didn't disappoint, its truely staggering and if Morpheus is only 1/2 as good, you are going to be blown away when you experience VR for the first time. I would say that my time with the OR was literally life changing.. "Titans Of Space" was jaw dropping!

The last time I saw VR was back in the early 90s when they had some arcade machines and they were truly terrible.. Modern VR is infinitely better than that!

However.. Thats the good news.. The bad news is that despite the fact that I have never been motion/travel sick in my life, certain things in the O.R made me want to puke, it was unbearable.. But worse was that the feeling didn't stop, when you took the headset off.. Infact it got worse..

I wrote at the time that this could be the very problem which stops VR becoming a success and was told "they will work it out".. But I am not so sure.

The thing which tipped me over the edge was "moving" and "strafing" at the same time... That immediately gave me a full sweat on!

I am going to be first in the queue for a Morpheus.. I simply can't wait until a "retail" product comes along.. But I fear that many people (including myself) Will never be able to get used to the 'sickness'! But I am happy to be proven wrong.
Yes, I must say that my comment was rather tongue in cheek a if it was really making me ill, then despite the immersion, there's not a lot of fun in that.

It is a significant problem, but the way I see it, is that the better the graphics refresh rate, the less it should be. The problem clearly comes from the brain expecting one thing and then seeing another. We all know how easy the brain is fooled and if you get that situation where it expects to see one thing, but there's a lag and it sees somethign else, you will get that travel sick feeling.

I don't generally get travel sick unless I say read or play a game in the car. I think it's that scenario of expecting to see me moving, but instead i'm focusing on a book/console and there's no visual cue of me moving.

I think for VR to be a success, it will need to overcome this through delivering a smooth and responsive image to match the actions. They seem to be pretty much there with the latest Morpheus, but I guess that only time will tell. I can't see them putting so much money and effort into it, if they aren't very confident of delivering as if a significant proportion of folk get travel sick with it, then it will flop.

I think for VR to be a success, it will need to overcome this through delivering a smooth and responsive image to match the actions. They seem to be pretty much there with the latest Morpheus, but I guess that only time will tell. I can't see them putting so much money and effort into it, if they aren't very confident of delivering as if a significant proportion of folk get travel sick with it, then it will flop.

While I agree if it makes people feel sick then it will flop, I think you are over-egging the proportion of people it will affect.

People who get travel sick are in a minority, people who get travel sick and will be getting Morpheus will by a tiny minority. I don't think that this issue will ultimately decide if it's a success or not.

I think the support and release of decent games for VR will be the only factor that decides it. It is promising as we have seen with the Project Cars/Morpheus vids that AAA titles can use it well if they want to.

Did I already mention that I can't wait for this?:D

While I agree if it makes people feel sick then it will flop, I think you are over-egging the proportion of people it will affect.

People who get travel sick are in a minority, people who get travel sick and will be getting Morpheus will by a tiny minority. I don't think that this issue will ultimately decide if it's a success or not.

I think the support and release of decent games for VR will be the only factor that decides it. It is promising as we have seen with the Project Cars/Morpheus vids that AAA titles can use it well if they want to.

Did I already mention that I can't wait for this?:D
Yes, but many people who have never been travel sick (see Jon's post) get sick with VR. Personally I feel that they will have solved the issue as they would be daft to sink so much money into it, if they didn't think they could.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom