Psycho 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

VinnyP!

Thanks for the review. Working my way through these, the 4K of this is the biggest step up so far. Saving vertigo for tomorrow. Definitely also a 10 from me.

UMAR 3:16

Never seen this. Will put it on the list! Thanks Simon.

Gordon2147

Although I wont be buying this, I just have to say that this is an astonishingly brilliant film, and deserves to be kept available ad infinitum, to show how to make a film.

Brilliant story and brilliantly acted.

This review has reminded me to sit down and watch it again, am bound to get the creeps watching it.

bellsy1946

Still stunning after all these years, but disappointed to find that the 'uncut' version is only 13 seconds longer - if my arithmetic is correct. Nevertheless you can never have to much Hitchcock, still hoping for North By Northwest on 4K
:lease:

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
I look forward to picking the boxset up in the black friday deals...

Apone

Over on the Bits website, they have mentioned that Universal is doing a replacement programme as the initial run omitted the mono audio track. The programme is valid in US/Canada, does this issue affect the UK release at all?

Universal saying -

“Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (UPHE) has identified an issue with the home entertainment releases of Psycho - 60th Anniversary Edition and The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection, that specifically impacts copies of Psycho’s Blu-ray and 4K UHD versions made available on September 8, 2020. The initial run of the film’s Blu-ray and 4K UHD discs produced inadvertently omitted Psycho’s original 1960 mono track. UPHE’s goal is to always deliver the best possible product to its consumers. To that end, a replacement program is being established in the U.S. and Canada to ensure that those who have purchased this recent release of Psycho on Blu-ray or 4K UHD receive a corrected disc. To receive an updated Psycho disc, please visit the UPHE Support website (www.uphe.com/contact-support) or directly email [email protected].”

Will Scarlet

Over on the Bits website, they have mentioned that Universal is doing a replacement programme as the initial run omitted the mono audio track. The programme is valid in US/Canada, does this issue affect the UK release at all?
Yes I believe it does.

mark6226

Strange one this. The first part of the film has absolutely terrible PQ. Then as soon as JL gets to the motel, hey presto, it's a different film with stunning PQ. Overall the box set is rather poor with regard to PQ. Only vertigo is really up to standard. The other three have very poor PQ.
At least psycho redeems itself. Basically, the birds and rear window are a total waste of time on 4k blu ray and best avoided.
I had hoped for better but expected a substandard quality overall.

mark6226

Still stunning after all these years, but disappointed to find that the 'uncut' version is only 13 seconds longer - if my arithmetic is correct. Nevertheless you can never have to much Hitchcock, still hoping for North By Northwest on 4K
:lease:
I've not idea where the extra 13 seconds were. The movie is simply breathtaking. The extra 13 seconds make absolutely no difference. How could they?
It's still very chilling. For me the most terrifying part is the demise of Martin Balsam
When she comes out of the bedroom it's so spooky and scary
It's the same set they used in vertigo for the house where thingy was renting the room.

Will Scarlet

Strange one this. The first part of the film has absolutely terrible PQ. Then as soon as JL gets to the motel, hey presto, it's a different film with stunning PQ. Overall the box set is rather poor with regard to PQ. Only vertigo is really up to standard. The other three have very poor PQ.
At least psycho redeems itself. Basically, the birds and rear window are a total waste of time on 4k blu ray and best avoided.
I had hoped for better but expected a substandard quality overall.
You cannot be serious.:facepalm:

Last edited:

Will Scarlet

I've highlighted in bold the parts of your post that i find bemusing, but to be fair I could have highlighted all of it. And no I am not an ageing American tennis player.;)

mark6226

So which 4k blu ray have you seen with worse PQ than rear window and the birds
And what do you make of the very apparent issues with the silk screening in the birds
I take it that you know what silk screening is without looking it up on Google
Oops. I've just found these funny little pictures that magically get inserted. I've no idea how to remove them. Curiouser and curiouser.
.:)🎩🎓🎓🦕🥕🇯🇵⚒🏈⚽🏀

Last edited:

Will Scarlet

And what do you make of the very apparent issues with the silk screening in the birds
I take it that you know what silk screening is without looking it up on Google.
What apparent issue and what the heck is silk screening in regard to film making? By the way, it appears that Google has as much idea of what you are talking about as I have, which is no idea unless you are printing tee-shirts.:confused:
Oops. I've just found these funny little pictures that magically get inserted. I've no idea how to remove them. Curiouser and curiouser.
.:)🎩🎓🎓🦕🥕🇯🇵⚒🏈⚽🏀
:smashin:

mark6226

Oh well. So you don't know what silk screening is. There used to be a world before google. I'll let you work out what screening was. It was used extensively in the movies way back. Almost always with actresses
It was always going to be a problem with 4k blu ray as I pointed out with regard to this boxset even before it was released. TH is heavily screened in the birds. GK was not heavily screened in rear window.
Few actresses avoided the dreaded screen between all the way to the mid 60s.
Sadly its effects are very apparent in the birds as H heavily screened TH continually.
An experienced movie fan like myself can spot screening in a instant.
It's very intrusive at times. Consider yourself thankful to be ignorant of its use. Obviously, Myopia and inexperience has its advantages. As it does in your case.

Im still waiting to hear which 4k blu ray you think look worse than rear window and the birds
Are you content with the PQ of the boxset?

Last edited:

Will Scarlet

The use of lens filters to achieve soft focus is not called silk screening, but you carry on.o_O

mark6226

Sir, you are without a doubt, a brick. I take my hat off to you. For you've shown me that superior insight doesn't always result in superior fulfillment.
Its gratifying you find the boxset so enjoyable.
Your bliss is immersurable compared to my insight.
Well done that main.

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
Isn't this another thread where we have to be careful by our definitions of 'poor picture quality'? I have the set but not cracked into it yet, but I fully expect The Birds to not be too much of a looker due to all the optical work done on it.......but it could still be a great 4K transfer of a poor source, the best it will ever look.

Of course it won't have the razor sharp detail or eye searing/shadow clarity of HDR of other titles, but this doesn't mean the disc doesn't have merit? It might be light years better than the previous blu.....in which case it could be a great 4K disc........

Many have said the very worst 4K disc out there for PQ is T2......I understand why (baked in DNR giving everyone a waxy look) but I don't mind it and don't think it is. Others have said they don't like Starship Troopers because of the excessive grain. Again, I think its brilliant as I don't mind grain. Even some discs (cough....Goodfellas....cough) may only be an improvement if certain kit is used (due to how certain smaller improvements are rendered by individuals displays). Of course we're in the realm of small gains with 4K so one man's massive improvement might be another man's bag of spanners.

I'm now intrigued to watch both The Birds and Rear Window first, but @mark6226 what is so bad about the picture other than some possible source limitations? You haven't mentioned why these transfers are bad just that its bad due to some possible filter usage. bluray.com has just posted reviews and have also given these a thumbs up so colour me intrigued:

Gonna start these tonight and see for myself. Can't wait!

Last edited:

Will Scarlet

Sir, you are without a doubt, a brick. I take my hat off to you. For you've shown me that superior insight doesn't always result in superior fulfillment.
Its gratifying you find the boxset so enjoyable.
Your bliss is immersurable compared to my insight.
Well done that main.
Insults and superior insight = welcome to my ignore list. Frankly I can live without your version of superior insight. Congratulations on being only the second AVF member to make my ignore list in fifteen years.:clap:

Will Scarlet

Isn't this another thread where we have to be careful by our definitions of 'poor picture quality'? I have the set but not cracked into it yet, but I fully expect The Birds to not be too much of a looker due to all the optical work done on it.......but it could still be a great 4K transfer of a poor source, the best it will ever look.

Of course it won't have the razor sharp detail or eye searing/shadow clear HDR of of other titles, but this doesn't mean the disc doesn't have merit? It might be light years better than the previous blu.....in which case it could be a great 4K disc........

Many have said the very worst 4K disc out there for PQ is T2......I understand why (baked in DNR giving everyone a waxy look) but I don't mind it and don't think it is. Others have said they don't like Starship Troopers because of the excessive grain. Again, I think its brilliant as I don't mind grain. Even some discs (cough....Goodfellas....cough) may only be an improvement if certain kit is used (due to how certain smaller improvements are rendered by individuals displays). Of course we're in the realm of small gains with 4K so one man's massive improvement might be another man's bag of spanners.

I'm now intrigued to watch both The Birds and Rear Window first, but @mark6226 what is so bad about the picture other than some possible source limitations? You haven't mentioned why these transfers are bad just that its bad due to some possible filter usage. bluray.com has just posted reviews and have also given these a thumbs up so colour me intrigued:

You won't be disappointed.:smashin:

jakimp

Of course it won't have the razor sharp detail or eye searing/shadow clear HDR of of other titles, but this doesn't mean the disc doesn't have merit? It might be light years better than the previous blu.....in which case it could be a great 4K disc........

voice of reason mate as usual

i have now watched rear window vertigo and psycho on my JVC N5

firstly wow these are good films

if you come to these films expecting gemini man images dont buy it "simples"

rear window looks great if you even consider for a while the film is nearly 70 years old a nd by far the best i have ever seen it

vertigo looks and sounds stunning a real achievement by the studio in restoration

psycho too for me looks stunning the image is sharp throughout and the DTS X track produces crisp dialogue and does full justice to the score

not watched the birds yet but sort of expect so so on that one for PQ but still a great film

i didnt have any of these films and if you dont have them on blu ray. have the right display gear as well then this set is highly recommended by me at least

jakimp

I think silkscreening was a thing used back in the day