PUS8204/12 Atmos help!

cjones1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am not extremely tech savvy or knowledgeable in the area so please bare with me.

I recently purchased a Philips 65PUS8204/12 and I don’t really understand how the audio works. I have ordered the Sonos ARC Soundbar to go with the TV and to my knowledge I will not be able to access full Dolby Atmos given the lack of eARC port. The TV does however say it’s supports Dolby Atmos which confuses me? I want to know what is the best audio format that the TV can decode or pass through to my sound bar. I play my blu ray discs through my Xbox one which to my understanding will allow pass through Dolby Atmos to the TV and then to the Soundbar.

Again, I’m not as knowledgeable as you guys I just want to get the best out of the kit I have purchased. Please advise.

Hi everyone,

I am not extremely tech savvy or knowledgeable in the area so please bare with me.

I recently purchased a Philips 65PUS8204/12 and I don’t really understand how the audio works. I have ordered the Sonos ARC Soundbar to go with the TV and to my knowledge I will not be able to access full Dolby Atmos given the lack of eARC port. The TV does however say it’s supports Dolby Atmos which confuses me? I want to know what is the best audio format that the TV can decode or pass through to my sound bar. I play my blu ray discs through my Xbox one which to my understanding will allow pass through Dolby Atmos to the TV and then to the Soundbar.

Again, I’m not as knowledgeable as you guys I just want to get the best out of the kit I have purchased. Please advise.
You should still be able to get dolby atmos sound through sonus arc as long as you use hdmi from tv to arc.Dont know how many hdmi outputs are arc compatible on 8204 but on my tv (7304)all 4 outputs are arc enabled.

You should still be able to get dolby atmos sound through sonus arc as long as you use hdmi from tv to arc.Dont know how many hdmi outputs are arc compatible on 8204 but on my tv (7304)all 4 outputs are arc enabled.

I thought that Dolby Atmos required eARC connection to the TV As opposed to just ARC - or do I have this wrong?

No TV doesn't require eARC for Atmos...that just for lossless output of the audio.

Just connect Soundbar to arc connection then set Philips sound settings to hdmi sound system...then set audio out to multichannel bypass. I get Atmos via Netflix fine.

It the TV that requires to support Atmos without that soundbar can't output Atmos audio.

No TV doesn't require eARC for Atmos...that just for lossless output of the audio.

Just connect Soundbar to arc connection then set Philips sound settings to hdmi sound system...then set audio out to multichannel bypass. I get Atmos via Netflix fine.
Would this work playing from Blu ray discs? I have an Xbox one that will bypass Dolby Atmos to receiver. In my head the Xbox would read the blu ray and bypass to the TV, then the TV would bypass to the sound bar?

Set up Xbox to output Atmos then connect the Xbox directly to the Sono arc

I have my ps4 connected to hdmi 2 on TV and soundbar on hdmi 1 and can output Dolby digital fine (PS4 can't do Atmos)

Set up Xbox to output Atmos then connect the Xbox directly to the Sono arc

I have my ps4 connected to hdmi 2 on TV and soundbar on hdmi 1 and can output Dolby digital fine (PS4 can't do Atmos)
Does this set up require you to use the Sonos app to adjust your sound bar volume etc? And do you need to swap the cables if you want to use the sound bar for TV audio output?

Does this set up require you to use the Sonos app to adjust your sound bar volume etc? And do you need to swap the cables if you want to use the sound bar for TV audio output?
No TV audio for sky box etc should come straight out Soundbar. And turn on hdmi cec (Philips call it easylink) and your Philips remote should change volume

You are limited by the fact that sonos arc has only one hdmi input.To avoid having to unplug connection all the time you will need to connect external hdmi devices to tv and use hdmi arc output from tv to arc to transfer audio feed.

Brilliant that’s cleared things up thanks! Can’t wait to hear the Sonos arc when it arrives, how do you find the sound quality watching movies with it?

You are limited by the fact that sonos arc has only one hdmi input.To avoid having to unplug connection all the time you will need to connect external hdmi devices to tv and use hdmi arc output from tv to arc to transfer audio feed.
Thanks for reply!
The issue I have here is.. if I want to watch a. Blu ray movie through my Xbox one and get the best audio format. I can set it up to pass Dolby Atmos through to the tv and then I assume it will also pass through the tv to the ARC? The previous posted suggested I plug the Xbox straight into the ARC

Brilliant that’s cleared things up thanks! Can’t wait to hear the Sonos arc when it arrives, how do you find the sound quality watching movies with it?
On Netflix it will have a vision Atmos logo

Thanks for reply!
The issue I have here is.. if I want to watch a. Blu ray movie through my Xbox one and get the best audio format. I can set it up to pass Dolby Atmos through to the tv and then I assume it will also pass through the tv to the ARC? The previous posted suggested I plug the Xbox straight into the ARC
You can do it as supernal said It will still work fine sorry wasn't aware ARC only had one port

No I mean, personally do you like the quality of the Sonos arc when watching movies?
I have a different soundbar but they all pretty much set up the same...

Yeah I like the Atmos audio over DD much better surround sound..but depends on the movie how it uses it but i like it shame ps5 won't be supporting it.

I have a different soundbar but they all pretty much set up the same...

Yeah I like the Atmos audio over DD much better surround sound..but depends on the movie how it uses it but i like it shame ps5 won't be supporting it.

thanks so much for your help! I am glad it will work fine, I was stressing out that if the tv can’t read the audio format it will make me watch my blu rays in stereo!

thanks so much for your help! I am glad it will work fine, I was stressing out that if the tv can’t read the audio format it will make me watch my blu rays in stereo!
To get the full benefit from eARC of soundbar your next tv should include eARC support.🙂

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom