Q Acoustics Q B12 Subwoofer Review & Comments

Thanks for the review Steve, I'm very interested in this for my 3020i's. Will you be reviewing the Q Acoustics 3030i anytime soon? Thanks

Thanks for the review Steve, I'm very interested in this for my 3020i's. Will you be reviewing the Q Acoustics 3030i anytime soon? Thanks

Is it because of the rounded cabinet, size or just want QA sub? There is often new grade-b BK P12-300SB the sealed 12" version available for 346£ which would make MUCH more sense being cheaper and offering better performance aswell. Also i would see the support better from BKE if you have to deal with any issue. QA in the past have had quite many amp issues.

Thanks for your comment. I'm not convinced at all that the BK would offer better performance other than going deeper, which I certainly don't need. Yes the aesthetics are preferable but not essential. My priority is music and tight bass. I'll demo it in my local hifihut at some stage. I have heard the BK regularly as my brother has it, and with movies it's awesome, with music I thought it was a bit loose

Thanks for your comment. I'm not convinced at all that the BK would offer better performance other than going deeper, which I certainly don't need. Yes the aesthetics are preferable but not essential. My priority is music and tight bass. I'll demo it in my local hifihut at some stage. I have heard the BK regularly as my brother has it, and with movies it's awesome, with music I thought it was a bit loose

There can be many things that can affect what you heard as loose bass and i seriously doubt the P12 sub was fully the blame there. You can afford to pick the XXLS400 (400£) model too which has better driver and almost twice the power from QA sub. It has been known to be great subwoofer for 2ch music listening over 8-10years already with members of AVF! You also get the high level connection which many 2ch audiophiles rave about.

There can be many things that can affect what you heard as loose bass and i seriously doubt the P12 sub was fully the blame there. You can afford to pick the XXLS400 (400£) model too which has better driver and almost twice the power from QA sub. It has been known to be great subwoofer for 2ch music listening over 8-10years already with members of AVF! You also get the high level connection which many 2ch audiophiles rave about.
Agreed having owned numerous subs, several svs, Mjs, velodyne,rel,MK,SUNFIRE, the Bks are outstanding for the cost.

Hi Steve
Thanks for the review.
Is your future lack of input connected to the current C virus outbreak or will you not be reviewing for avforums?

Last edited:
*edit* Just seen replies above. Ignore me :) However the sub still needs to be set up correctly which may account for any looseness you heard.
--------
The BK but it also has tight bass and can be used for music. It's one of the features (along with the deep bass) that makes it stand out from the vast majority of subs anywhere near its price. Since home theatre is not your priority then it comes down to whether the very nice aesthetics is worth around 200 quid more than a better sub.

I was referring to Covid19.
Why are you not going to be doing many reviews? I would have thought the companies are going to be keen for a bit of promotion and when Netflix are talking about reducing the quality of their service to reduce strain on the internet! I would think that hifi and av are one of the few things that people will still be buying as usage must be through the roof! I imagine you wear gloves when setting up and personally I would appreciate more reviews while I vegetate! When you rub someone up the wrong way I enjoy defending you and your valid opinions too! I am happy to do a few reviews if you want though you would have to give it a hell of a lot of polish as it is hard to polish a turd!🤣

This sub can now be bought for £429, priced between the xls200 and xls400.. would performance be somewhere in between?

i prefer the more efficient class d amp

@password1

Certainly better option than their ultra slim sealed sub, but when P12-PR is back on sale on Colosussxb for 430£+10£... ;) Also XTZ 10.17 Edge (460£ shipped), 700/1045w class-d amp with DSP and 5year warranty which neither of these offer. Can be ran as sealed.

This sub can now be bought for £429, priced between the xls200 and xls400.. would performance be somewhere in between?

unlikely , BUT ITS YOUR BRASS.

thanks for the suggestions. the xtz looks very attractive with dsp and class d 700w amp even compared to the bk subs. ill have a read about them and see where in the uk i can demo or buy from.

im currently have a q.acoustics 2070 and rel r205 and i used to have an xls200 so when i upgrade id be looking at something better than these.

thanks for the suggestions. the xtz looks very attractive with dsp and class d 700w amp even compared to the bk subs. ill have a read about them and see where in the uk i can demo or buy from.

im currently have a q.acoustics 2070 and rel r205 and i used to have an xls200 so when i upgrade id be looking at something better than these.

You can`t buy them from Uk or demo sadly. Straight from XTZ just like with BK. But you have 30day buy&try period, returning will cost though. One negative may be if you listen very loud the small cabinet on 10.17 Edge and 1port open mode means there can be port chuffing. Most people have picked the larger 12.17 Edge so less chance for that and it`s also more capable under 30hz. 100€ more expensive. Sure if you want to run as sealed then the smaller may do, but if you have got 10" subs already you may want to get something larger for more noticeable upgrade..

The vast majority of people on this forum (despite never having personally done hands-on testing of Q Acoustic B12 in their own system) will tell you that BK Elec, SVS, XTZ are better. Make of that what you will.

In all fairness, I can't comment on relative merits of products such as BK or XTZ, which I have never set eye or ears upon.
But I have now used the B12 for a month with the Q Acoustics Concept 40. They match really well, and the blend for music is completely seamlesss. Fantastic pairing. Tight, fast and dry bass.
The B12 also works fine for movies but I appreciate that some people will prefer ported models that move more air and generate more boom.
Depends on personal preferences and taste.
Either way, B12 is much much better than the REL Strata 3 that I also have.

That has got me thinking. I have the concept 40's and i find the bass too strong and boomy with no bungs even when moved away from the wall. Do you find the B12 go a lot deeper than the concept 40's? Are you running your concept 40's full range with no crossover?

On paper the B12 isn't very deep for a 12 inch sub but neither are the concept 40's on paper.

That has got me thinking. I have the concept 40's and i find the bass too strong and boomy with no bungs even when moved away from the wall. Do you find the B12 go a lot deeper than the concept 40's? Are you running your concept 40's full range with no crossover?

On paper the B12 isn't very deep for a 12 inch sub but neither are the concept 40's on paper.
Yes, that's right. I put the bungs in so that Concept 40 are tight and fast sounding (and can also be closer to the wall). The crossover on the amp or processor can then be set to 80Hz, so that most of the lower bass (probably 25-80Hz range) comes from B12, and the Concept 40 doesn't have to handle any difficult bits.

The QB12 is still only £495 brand new and can be picked up from a dealer or delivered free of charge. No price increase. I did see one place sell it for £429 (? open box ex demo)

The price seems very reasonable for a 12 inch sub.

The QB12 is still only £495 brand new and can be picked up from a dealer or delivered free of charge. No price increase. I did see one place sell it for £429 (? open box ex demo)

The price seems very reasonable for a 12 inch sub.

No reason to buy that one as you can get similar new BK P12 for much cheaper (364£) which is likely to perform even better and company has better service/support. QA amp failures in past would steer me away from their subs completely. Those class-d amps can´t be fixed where as 10year old BK can for low cost. At 495£ you can get SB1000 Pro which is certainly better product with much longer warranty.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom