Samsung Q85 Freesat question.

S2i5

Novice Member
Reaction score
Finally took the plunge and got a 65 q85.

Just a quick question..

Getting no signal on Freesat. I know the cable and dish are 100% (tested on another set - works fine).

Are the default settings good "as is" or do I have to modify something in the satellite section? I've only done a auto scan.

Probably something simple I'm missing.
Thanks.

Should be plug and play. Presumably it is set to UK and says Freesat. I only say this because if set to another country then the FTA satellite function kicks in instead so may not show any signal depending on what satellite is selected by default

Also make sure Terrestrial (Freeview) is not selected

Do you have to input the actual satellite you require EG. Astra 28.2 East.

Not for Freesat, if memory serves it asks upon set up for antenna type once country is selected; terrestrial or Freesat (you can actually program both and flip between them via the options on channel list) or FTA satellite. If a different country was selected the default satellite position would be input or if FTA was selected instead of Freesat it may have a different satellite position selected resulting in no signal.

Update.. (couple of months!)
Bought a new Lnb for the dish.
No better.

Brainwave. Swap the cables over at the dish so good signal goes to the q85 and no signal goes to old TV

Guess what. Old TV works perfectly and new one says "no signal".

Doing head in now. Bad receiver a possibility?

Last option is cable broken in the wall someplace (was tested before plastering and paint) so buying a co ax extension to go directly from old TV to the Q85. If that don't work Samsung getting a phone call!

Update.. (couple of months!)
Bought a new Lnb for the dish.
No better.

Brainwave. Swap the cables over at the dish so good signal goes to the q85 and no signal goes to old TV

Guess what. Old TV works perfectly and new one says "no signal".

Doing head in now. Bad receiver a possibility?

Last option is cable broken in the wall someplace (was tested before plastering and paint) so buying a co ax extension to go directly from old TV to the Q85. If that don't work Samsung getting a phone call!

Can you run a new test cable direct from the dish to the TV (through window) just to rule out the TV being at fault?

Success!!

Guess my new hidden cables failed somewhere along their length.
(Both of them - must have a rat 😄!)

Luckily I can add another no problem but will try and trace the fault. At least I now know the TV works so good result.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom