Quad VA-One Integrated Valve Amplifier Review & Comments

Why no measurements ? Despite additions like blue tooth , digital etc, this is still a antique amplifier, no way would I buy it or any other valve amplifier.

Last edited:
Despite additions like blue tooth , digital etc, this is still a antique amplifier, no way would I buy it or any other valve amplifier.

Why?

Martin

To be honest, I thought 'why no measurements?' a valid question. An amplifier should output a signal directly proportional to its input - which is straightforwardly quantifiable.

There are never any measurements on AVForums audio reviews. So this review is completely unexceptional in that regard! There are other places you can go if you want to see stuff taken to bits or bench tested. But measurements rarely if ever tell the full story.

I was more commenting on the second bit anyway...

High Fidelity said:
this is still a antique amplifier, no way would I buy it or any other valve amplifier.

You don't buy valve amps for the measurements - you buy them because you like how they sound.

if you want straight line measurement go solid state.

I know my valve amps are probably technically all over the place, but I love how they sound.

To be honest, I thought 'why no measurements?' a valid question. An amplifier should output a signal directly proportional to its input - which is straightforwardly quantifiable.

If you're willing to pay for the gear and my time, I'll provide you some measurements. I am afraid I don't have the wherewithal to do them as a matter of course which is why audio reviews on the site don't have them.

Quad quotes .5% THD at the rated output of 12 watts into 8 ohms. Given that in the course of the review, I used sensitive speakers and I got nowhere near the rated output, it is not unreasonable to surmise that distortion was low to the point of irrelevance.

Fair enough - I hadn't realised that audio reviews were so poorly budgeted relative to the display equipment.

I has little if anything to do with budget.

Audio reviews are much more subjective and emotional than video. Especially for a niche product like this. How would a set of measurements help anyone decide if this product is for them?

The time, effort and cost involved in doing it is completely disproportionate to the value gained.

Fair enough - I hadn't realised that audio reviews were so poorly budgeted relative to the display equipment.

It might be better phrased that video reviews are undertaken by full time staff. I'm not in the sole employ of AVForums so time and budget are allocated differently. The equipment for getting worthwhile measurements from audio equipment is also rather bulkier and more expensive than that used for the screen measurements.

It also reflects that there are universally approved benchmarks that display devices can be judged against which is not the case for audio equipment. Low distortion is generally considered admirable but it goes hand in hand with other measurable points of distortion- source and speakers to name but two- and a tranche of other figures. I'm quite man enough to admit that if you need to know these figures, you need a subscription to HiFi News and to wait for Paul Miller to test it. If you want the numbers he's the best.

Yes - loudspeakers are a good example of hard to characterise audio equipment. Ideally (and totally unreasonably) tests need to be carried in a large anechoic chamber in order to determine the on and off axis response functions, and then in each and every listener's room, because the final response is also a function of the acoustic environment. Characterising an amplifier is a bit easier.

Hi,

I have some question after reading the review:

How does it sound when used with headphones? Any comparisons with the PA-ONE?

I’ve demoed the PA-ONE and I didn’t get a big sense of archetypical “tube sound” (warmth and wider soundstage), it was more on the neutral side of sound.

What about bass and soundstage?

How good is the DAC section/performance? Any changes to the PA-ONE? It seems the VA_ONE as an asynchronous USB, which I’m not sure the PA-ONE is.

Thanks

Agreed with @Pepe above, a hint as to how it handles headphones would be great Ed, after all you said it might steal some sales from the PA-ONE :)

On the subject of measurements - it's a valve amp anyway, they're not exactly known for being 100% accurate and distorsion free in the first place, which is exactly why they have a certain appeal. It's a bit like wanting to measure how accurately cars go fast around corners while ignoring people's preferences for under/over steer, drifting, feel, etc..

I'm assuming the valves used are still manufactured as new, and not just 'old-new' stock.
I'm sure the question of obtaining spares years hence would be valid?

Every valve used in the VA-One is new and still in series production.

Every valve used in the VA-One is new and still in series production.
Hi Ed,

Please can you give me an idea of how the headphone output compares to the Copland DAC 215 you reviewed a year ago?

I realise it is a difficult request which should really be aimed at the PA-One but I am hoping that you can help, I use Senn HD 650 and will probably be getting some Audeze LCD 3's soon.

Thanks.

Hi Ed,

Please can you give me an idea of how the headphone output compares to the Copland DAC 215 you reviewed a year ago?

I realise it is a difficult request which should really be aimed at the PA-One but I am hoping that you can help, I use Senn HD 650 and will probably be getting some Audeze LCD 3's soon.

Thanks.

This is coming kind of (very) late, but I did compare the Copland DAC215 with Quad Pa One, not Va One.

Can write about some impressions via pm, or here.

Why no measurements ? Despite additions like blue tooth , digital etc, this is still a antique amplifier, no way would I buy it or any other valve amplifier.
You don't buy tube amps for measurements, as Dan D'agostino once said measurements mean nothing its about what it sounds like.
That is why I would never go back to a S/S amp.

You don't buy tube amps for measurements, as Dan D'agostino once said measurements mean nothing its about what it sounds like.
That is why I would never go back to a S/S amp.
Everyone likes different things. Shame we cannot just go and demo like in the 80's and 90's. Too much choice on the net and sometimes way too many returns. Bring back the audio shop

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom