Quake 4, which version?!?

Kazman

Prominent Member
Reaction score
xbox 360, PC or both? :D

PC is ment to be best. I have the pc version and thought it was excellent.

PC version .......... £20 in Gamestation ......... 'nuff said. :clap:

PC is excellent. 360 suffers from a lot of slow down apparently.

Any reports on how good the 360 version is on Live?

What are the Stateside boys saying about it?

If the PC version is only £20 in gamestation, I might get both anyway :)

I suppose it also depends on what pc spec you have.

Neither I thought it was pants on the P.C. Really the Quake series has gone down hill rapidly since Quake 2 which was the absolute nuts :(

harrisuk said:
Neither I thought it was pants on the P.C. Really the Quake series has gone done hil rapidly since Quake 2 which was the absolute nuts :(

I was waiting for you to pop up. ;)

My PC Spec is a Athlon 64 (Venice core) 3.2
6600GT PCI-E (single right now, might get a second for SLi next month)
1GB Ram

Should be beefy enough for Q4 I reckon?

Kazman said:
1GB Ram

Should be beefy enough for Q4 I reckon?

6600gt is an ok card but I dont think it will be powerfull enough to run Quake 4 on full settings. Maybe look to the xbox version and if you dont like it take it back for another game.

harrisuk said:
Neither I thought it was pants on the P.C. Really the Quake series has gone done hil rapidly since Quake 2 which was the absolute nuts :(

Apparently it's also got Quake2 on the disc, not sure if this is true though.

Razor said:
6600gt is an ok card but I dont think it will be powerfull enough to run Quake 4 on full settings. Maybe look to the xbox version and if you dont like it take it back for another game.

FX55 Amd DFI Sli 6800Ultra's 20" WS Monitor, plays superb.

If I could get hold of a 360 there's only one thing I would do with it, make a profit flogging it on Ebay. I'll get one, once its been hacked.

If you have a high end PC then the PC version is best.

If you have a medium to low end PC then the 360 version is best.

I think the most important thing is do you like playing FPSs without a mouse and keyboard - i don't. It does'nt matter how good a game is or looks if you can't stand the control method. Consoles are not particularly well suited to FPSs compared to PCs and the reverse is true for other types of game. I'd never play GTA on a pc for example. So your enjoyment is based on YOUR playability not anyone elses and definitely not the graphics although a higher end system does allow for smoother gameplay

Read the GameSpot review. The 360 version is horrible. Lower graphics and it still has a really bad framerate.
If you anything from a 6600 card and upwards, the game will look better and play better on PC.

but then you can get joypads for the pc if you want them.

pez

pez said:
but then you can get joypads for the pc if you want them.

pez
True, but why would you, especially for a FPS.
Plus the PC game is cheaper, has better graphics, runs a lot smoother (6600 and upwards) and has mods, free multiplay etc etc.

Kazman said:
1GB RamQUOTE]

Can i recommend a bit of caution when upgrading to an SLi setup. I'd wait til its more stable. I have one and to stop quake 4 crashing to desktop i had to disable the 2nd graphics card!!!

Personally I prefer using a joypad for FPS's these days (after being a M&K devotee for many a year) but if I had a good PC then i'd go for the PC Version if I had to choose. TBH after playing the PC version I don't think much to this game anyway as apart from nice graphics there's little to it IMO. It's an OK game but not really worth more than a rental IMO.

you guys are reallllly depressing me - I bought it today & was mega looking forward to it.

I cracked doom 3 relatively quickly as well

hillster said:
Apparently it's also got Quake2 on the disc, not sure if this is true though.

My copy hasn't (PC) £27(ish) , i believe there is a "gold" version with Q2 on.

agreed Fps's PC all the way , mouse and WSAD keys , I can not play Halo on the original Xbox, moreover the thought of ANYONE taking a FPS seriously especially deathmatch like Q3... armed with a joypad... is laugh inducing.

Looking forward to PG3 on 360, anything silly or car like and the console wins.

tino05 said:
you guys are reallllly depressing me - I bought it today & was mega looking forward to it.

If you liked Doom3 then you should like this. Its very similar to Doom except it isnt as dark and depressing. Quake 4 grows on you as you progress through the game. Towards the end it is all out big weapon time which is most fun, no saving your rockets for the end guy. You will be using all your powerfull weapons. I would give it a 9/10 but thats me, some members are not as impressed as I am.

:D

Razor said:
If you liked Doom3 then you should like this. Its very similar to Doom except it isnt as dark and depressing. Quake 4 grows on you as you progress through the game. Towards the end it is all out big weapon time which is most fun, no saving your rockets for the end guy. You will be using all your powerfull weapons. I would give it a 9/10 but thats me, some members are not as impressed as I am.

:D

cheers mate - I'm happier now :clap:

tino05 said:

The above is just my view, the game has got some reasonable reviews and is by no means a bad game. I didn't like Doom3 either (much prefered Doom2) so if you liked that then you'll probably like Q4.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom