Quest 2 Discussion

RiftS is in no mans land unless the new Quest has its balls cut and no PC link capability which would still make Quest and RiftS relevant.

This is what I’m going for.

QuestS - Stand-alone only
Quest - Both
RiftS - PC only

I can see them side stepping pure PC headsets and sticking with the quest and a link system, wired or wireless for those that want to use a pc as well as standalone.

RiftS is in no mans land unless the new Quest has its balls cut and no PC link capability which would still make Quest and RiftS relevant.

This is what I’m going for.

QuestS - Stand-alone only
Quest - Both
RiftS - PC only
Rift S did a job and served a purpose. I don't think anyone who bought one and liked it need to worry to much. It's not like software support will go anywhere (my almost launch rift cv1 still works just fine . ... But yeah IF the new quest uses the same screens and lenses as a rift S and if it supports pc over usb then it will be a hard sell unless it gets a huge cut in price ..... There is still no confirmation there is no ipd adjustment in the new quest . There is something inside the headset in the middle which could be ipd adjustment.

I tried to attach image the link is fine but this site borked it so you will have to look for yourself

Last edited:
If the rumours of a Rift 2 releasing next year are true (and we could see the Quest S releasing at the same time) then it looks like Oculus are switching from a 3 year lifespan that the OG Rift had to a 2 year lifespan.

Not too happy about that though tbh because that will give it the lifespan of a mobile phone contract and I have a LOAD of mobile phones sitting on top of my 2 x 14" bass speaker cabinet. Buying a new headset every 2 years will mean I'll soon have a SHITLOAD of VR headsets joining them.

Wtf am I going to do with them all in 10 years time? I'll have to move to a bigger flat! 😲😂😂😂

It also means that we'll have smaller technological leaps between headsets too which I'm not too happy with. It means that in 2021 we'll probably see a 2.5K headset at best, or maybe even a 2K headset next year from Oculus! 😲

If they had decided to keep with a 3 year lifespan then I'm 100% certain that we would see a 4K headset in 2022, but I think 2021 is a little too early to see a 4K headset from Oculus ☹

If the rumours of a Rift 2 releasing next year are true (and we could see the Quest S releasing at the same time) then it looks like Oculus are switching from a 3 year lifespan that the OG Rift had to a 2 year lifespan.

Not too happy about that though tbh because that will give it the lifespan of a mobile phone contract and I have a LOAD of mobile phones sitting on top of my 2 x 14" bass speaker cabinet. Buying a new headset every 2 years will mean I'll soon have a sh*tLOAD of VR headsets joining them.

Wtf am I going to do with them all in 10 years time? I'll have to move to a bigger flat! 😲😂😂😂

It also means that we'll have smaller technological leaps between headsets too which I'm not too happy with. It means that in 2021 we'll probably see a 2.5K headset at best, or maybe even a 2K headset next year from Oculus! 😲

If they had decided to keep with a 3 year lifespan then I'm 100% certain that we would see a 4K headset in 2022, but I think 2021 is a little too early to see a 4K headset from Oculus ☹

Quest 2 will be out this year I bet you.

Not too happy about that though tbh because that will give it the lifespan of a mobile phone contract and I have a LOAD of mobile phones sitting on top of my 2 x 14" bass speaker cabinet. Buying a new headset every 2 years will mean I'll soon have a sh*tLOAD of VR headsets joining them.

If you get free phones with your contract and you have no use for them.... Then sell em. Same with VR headsets.
You don't HAVE to upgrade every generation. Take GPUs. They come out every year but I personally tend to upgrade only when I can get close to 100% improvement in performance. I will bend that this time as I want ray tracing. I hope I will get 60% + on top of my 1080ti and ray tracing however with a 3080ti

Even in oculus' own words the rifts was not an upgrade over the cv1 in their eyes. It was a side step benefiting on tech improvents in some areas but losing in other areas. In my view oculus have not really offered a pc HMD alternative to cv1 to me since their launch headset in 2016. So it is more ,5 years wait for a possible new headset.

To each their own however

Quest 2 will be out this year I bet you.

Could be, but not if it's a Quest replacement I don't think. I can't see them replacing the Quest so soon.

It would make more sense for them to release it 2 years after the OG Quest was launched I reckon.

There are claims that it's in production already which COULD point to a September release which they'll announce at Oculus Connect ready for Christmas but I can't see it launching so soon after the first one.

If you get free phones with your contract and you have no use for them.... Then sell em. Same with VR headsets.
You don't HAVE to upgrade every generation. Take GPUs. They come out every year but I personally tend to upgrade only when I can get close to 100% improvement in performance. I will bend that this time as I want ray tracing. I hope I will get 60% + on top of my 1080ti and ray tracing however with a 3080ti

Even in oculus' own words the rifts was not an upgrade over the cv1 in their eyes. It was a side step benefiting on tech improvents in some areas but losing in other areas. In my view oculus have not really offered a pc HMD alternative to cv1 to me since their launch headset in 2016. So it is more ,5 years wait for a possible new headset.

To each their own however

Yes, but selling them would mean effort. Sounds too much like hard work to me lol 😂😂😂

If they release the Rift 2 next year I'm going to do my very best not to buy one though cos I'm planning on getting that Yaw doobrie 😁

We'll see how it goes, I'm a bit crap at NOT spending money ☺😂

Could be, but not if it's a Quest replacement I don't think. I can't see them replacing the Quest so soon.

It would make more sense for them to release it 2 years after the OG Quest was launched I reckon.

There are claims that it's in production already which COULD point to a September release which they'll announce at Oculus Connect ready for Christmas but I can't see it launching so soon after the first one.

Thing is they binned the GO completely. Why not have a GO 2 - Quest - Rift lines?

Instead the GO is gone lol - QuestS is in production and RiftS is hung out to dry.

Instead of having 3 distinct lines Oculus have blurred the lines beyond recognition.

Thats if it has Link capability.

I can't see them going for a Go-like headset. The Go was great as a media device, and was pretty much marketed as such rather than as a headset for gaming.

If they were going to continue with a Go style headset they would have just cut the price of the current Go because after a couple of years of making the things they might have brought the costs down to less than a hundred quid/dollars (especially considering the displays being used in the Go and Rift S).

And why haven't they announced this at the same time that they were discontinuing the Go?

It would make more sense to cut the manufacturing costs of the Quest and replace the Quest with the Quest S, particularly seeing as this is what they did with the Rift and Rift S.

Well its was meant to be a leak wasn't it? Maybe a marketing ploy, more to come, other announcements maybe? What we do know is this is a six page thread with no solid facts and all the main stream VR sites and Youtubers are blogging on a daily basis.
Its all good press :clap:
I`m off to stab zombies with broken bottles................

Well its was meant to be a leak wasn't it? Maybe a marketing ploy, more to come, other announcements maybe? What we do know is this is a six page thread with no solid facts and all the main stream VR sites and Youtubers are blogging on a daily basis.
Its all good press :clap:
I`m off to stab zombies with broken bottles................

We have solid facts from Snowdog. He told us its called QuestS!

We have solid facts from Snowdog. He told us its called QuestS!
It can't be anything else now YOU TOLD US. :lesson:

Surely there can't be any of your glass house left now, you've thrown so many stones through it.

Every time you take a step you must hear the crackle and crunch of glass disintegrating under foot.

So you disapprove of people inventing their own names for headsets now do you?

Ahem, Lenovo RiftS.

so quest s or what ever DOES have ipd adjustment

I mean we haven't really seen much of a technological leap from Oculus since CV1.

If you fancy an upgrade to your Rift S, you can always just get a Oculus CV1.

Better refresh rate, black levels, colours, audio, build quality, cable length, tracking quality, more premium feeling controllers.

I loved my time with the quest but ultimately sold it.

For Oculus to compete, they need to release a product which makes me not want to play on my Index. Its that simple.

Or really up the resolution of the headset so that its portable use-case has more practical applications like watching films on the go.

I mean we haven't really seen much of a technological leap from Oculus since CV1.

If you fancy an upgrade to your Rift S, you can always just get a Oculus CV1.

Better refresh rate, black levels, colours, audio, build quality, cable length, tracking quality, more premium feeling controllers.

I'll stick with my Rift S thanks. The difference in clarity is almost night and day. :D

I'll stick with my Rift S thanks. The difference in clarity is almost night and day. :D

More to VR gaming than just clarity...

High FOV, finger tracking, better precise tracking, physical IPDs, immersive audio etc.

More to VR gaming than just clarity...

brand-dark.svg
About our ads
You may also like
High FOV, finger tracking, better precise tracking, physical IPDs, immersive audio etc.

Yes, the audio IS better on the CV1 but adjusting the settings in Windows works wonders, and just like the black levels (which aren't great on the CV1 anyway) you get used to it.

No need for a physical IPD adjustment for me cos my IPD is 64mm so the headset is perfect for me. And the finger tracking is dxactly the same as it is with the Rift Touch controllers too so not sure what you're referring to there? And for me the Rifg S has a BIGGER FOV too, must be down to the shape of my ugly mug or something. 🤔 I've also noticed that the FOV is DIFFERENT compared to the Rift, it's more like looking through a scuba mask rather than a pair of binoculars. I much prefer it.

And the tracking is pretty good now, it's not perfect compared to three sensors but it isn't far off.

It's also A LOT more comfortable to wear too.

You can also supersample the exact same amount as you would with the Rift which makes the clarity even MORE noticeable.

I wouldn't swap my Rift S for my old Rift, the Rift S is MILES better. 😁

I loved my time with the quest but ultimately sold it.

For Oculus to compete, they need to release a product which makes me not want to play on my Index. Its that simple.

Or really up the resolution of the headset so that its portable use-case has more practical applications like watching films on the go.
You are not looking at the big picture. Oculus competing with index by using a quest is crazy talk. That is like saying ford need to compete with Ferrari with the ford focus ... Quest is not only cheaper than the index it has more utility by being standalone and not needing a PC .
Quest is not a device for me either right now (this new one is seriously interesting me however) but I would bet everything I own that sales wise it will smash the index in terms of sales. Right now it is quest that no one is able to compete with.

The HP G2 is more a competitor for index (tho not really as valve helped with both headsets and will sell to both it's more like 2 different products in the same range). What G2 loses to quest in terms of knuckles, light House tracking fov and refresh rate, it gains in image quality (resolution, SDE, blacks & colours) - according to MRTV- , convenience of set up and price..... That is a harder pick as it depends on the users priorities. I mostly play cockpit games with full room vr with motion controls a (very nice to have) secondary consideration so I think G2 will work for me.

I could see me getting a new quest as well tho

Last edited:
You are not looking at the big picture. Oculus competing with index by using a quest is crazy talk. That is like saying ford need to compete with Ferrari with the ford focus ... Quest is not only cheaper than the index it has more utility by being standalone and not needing a PC .
Quest is not a device for me either right now (this new one is seriously interesting me however) but I would bet everything I own that sales wise it will smash the index in terms of sales. Right now it is quest that no one is able to compete with.

The HP G2 is more a competitor for index (tho not really as valve helped with both headsets and will sell to both it's more like 2 different products in the same range). What G2 loses to quest in terms of knuckles, light House tracking fov and refresh rate, it gains in image quality (resolution, SDE, blacks & colours) - according to MRTV- , convenience of set up and price..... That is a harder pick as it depends on the users priorities. I mostly play cockpit games with full room vr with motion controls a (very nice to have) secondary consideration so I think G2 will work for me.

I could see me getting a new quest as well tho

Oculus's chase for the mainstream market with the Quest reminds me of Nintendo's Wii to Wii U transition. They ditched their dedicated gaming audience, to appeal to the mainstream market. However the mainstream market only bought into their 'gimick' for one generation, and then the Wii U, its sucessor, absolutely failed.

G2 price wise is as close or closer to the Rift S than the Index. So I'd say the G2 is comfortably placed to compete with both headsets, not just the Index.

Actually I'd go as far as to say once the G2 gets its first price cut, its specifically a Rift S competitor as they're both inside out tracking and both use last gen control schemes.

Yes, the audio IS better on the CV1 but adjusting the settings in Windows works wonders, and just like the black levels (which aren't great on the CV1 anyway) you get used to it.

No need for a physical IPD adjustment for me cos my IPD is 64mm so the headset is perfect for me. And the finger tracking is dxactly the same as it is with the Rift Touch controllers too so not sure what you're referring to there? And for me the Rifg S has a BIGGER FOV too, must be down to the shape of my ugly mug or something. 🤔 I've also noticed that the FOV is DIFFERENT compared to the Rift, it's more like looking through a scuba mask rather than a pair of binoculars. I much prefer it.

And the tracking is pretty good now, it's not perfect compared to three sensors but it isn't far off.

It's also A LOT more comfortable to wear too.

You can also supersample the exact same amount as you would with the Rift which makes the clarity even MORE noticeable.

I wouldn't swap my Rift S for my old Rift, the Rift S is MILES better. 😁

So you don't appreciate pinpoint tracking, higher refresh rates, OLED panels, premium controllers, a physical IPD, much better blacks, and the much much better audio?

The audio is awful on the Rift S, regardless of what windows adjustments you do. You must have never used a decent pair of headphones if you think those tin speakers are good. Also this FOV thing is hillarious since 95% of people seem to report the same or lower FOV with the Rift S (myself improving). It definitely still feels like wearing goggles in VR. What you're describing is the transition from a Rift S to an Index.

I think outside of a clarity boost due to LCD structure (which has its own issues such as ruining dark games) and subjective opinions on the fit of the halo strap, the Rift S inferior to CV1.

I'd go as far as to say thats fact.

Oculus's chase for the mainstream market with the Quest reminds me of Nintendo's Wii to Wii U transition. They ditched their dedicated gaming audience, to appeal to the mainstream market. However the mainstream market only bought into their 'gimick' for one generation, and then the Wii U, its sucessor, absolutely failed.

G2 price wise is as close or closer to the Rift S than the Index. So I'd say the G2 is comfortably placed to compete with both headsets, not just the Index.

Actually I'd go as far as to say once the G2 gets its first price cut, its specifically a Rift S competitor as they're both inside out tracking and both use last gen control schemes.
G2 is definitely a riftS competitor (it's more expensive but you get a lot for that £125 extra cash,). But still not the quest line. The quest is fab because it does have optional pc hmd support which is cool but its main market is the standalone market and that is why nothing right now can touch it.
Not sure anyone will either in the near future. Valve I am not sure have any interest in that market. Google seems to have thrown in the towel.
Someone like Nintendo or Sony could be an interesting proposition, but have shown no interest in standalone VR, which leaves apple. They could definitely make something and it would likely be stylish and have the "Image" factor that I put zero stock in but many do.

It will also likely be overpriced however..
Happy to be shown wrong but for the most part oculus almost have no competition in the standalone space right now. I just hope they don't get complacent (let's see what processor is in this new quest) because as cool as it is as an entry level device the actual hardware powering the current quest is weak sauce.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom