Question: Any Electricians on here? Advice needed

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if any qualified electricians nosing about on these forums could give me some advice confirmation.

Im in the final stages of my house renovation and finally Im on to the kitchen, which has its own dedicated ring main. Im about to order my integrated Microwave, and new Oven, and I wanted to check something.

My oven states:
Max Rated Inputs: 3.20 kW
Mains Supply Lead: 3 x 1.5mm²
Supply Connection: 16A (double pole switched fuse outlet with 3mm gap)

and Microwave states:
Fuse Rating: 16 AMP
Electrical Connection Rating: 3.35 kW

I'm just hoping you can clarify what is needed regarding wiring, as at the moment assuming they both come pre-flexed, Im unsure whether I..
-can simply wire these to a plug with either a 13A fuse and plug into existing (switched) socket (which is what some older (external) forum posts on the subject I've found seem to indicate),
-Spur off existing socket into a DP switched fuse outlet? (If so whats the best way to do this when I have two appliances needing connection, ie is there a double DP switched fuse outlet/CCU of sort that would do the job?
-create a new radial circuit with a 16A MCB with a socket for both of these appliances? (which just seems quite overkill to me in this day and age but again thought Id check..).
-Or none of the above as there is a better/ more normal/acceptable way?

Thanks in advance for your help... :)

Grangey.

Last edited:
No electrical advice Grangey, but that's one heck of a power hungry microwave :eek:

Good luck with the thread, Just a Heads Up, but "Can I stick a plug on it?" ones normally end badly :)

You're telling me mate! But its also far bigger than a standard microwave which I suppose counts towards something (its one of those fully integrated oven appearance ones which costs more than the bloomin oven!:facepalm:) with all the various multifunction things so Im assuming its one of the powerhouse hungry functions that Id rarely use that would ever pull that max load! Its the cost that just keeps on... costing:rotfl::facepalm:

Just be careful when heating up a sausage roll, it may end up back in 1985 :D
My thought would be a radial for each, though there may be a better way...good luck.

You're telling me mate! But its also far bigger than a standard microwave which I suppose counts towards something (its one of those fully integrated oven appearance ones which costs more than the bloomin oven!:facepalm:) with all the various multifunction things so Im assuming its one of the powerhouse hungry functions that Id rarely use that would ever pull that max load! Its the cost that just keeps on... costing:rotfl::facepalm:

:) It's probably got a convection oven/grill feature pulling 2000W + and in combi mode with a 1200W microwave kicking in that would easily do it :)

Are you asking because you want to run the cables? Which is fair enough. But if you are having an electrician out to wire to the board anyway, I am sure he is the best person to advise.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom