Racket Fury: Table Tennis VR - 21-03-2020: Lets start a box league

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update 21 March 2020: For those of us that strive on competitive sport for fitness or those us willing to just give it a go during this challenging times in social distancing, I would like us to attempt (and succeed!) in starting up a PSVR table tennis box league using this terrific game. I will detail more in the following post (this was originally an opinion thread) and if we do get it off to a good start, I'll update this first post with structured details.

ORIGINAL POST: 21-12-19

This is one of the games in the January sale, though only 12‰ off.

Nevertheless I have bought it and just finished a couple hours session with it.

I was waiting for it to go on sale as I already have the heavily criticised Ping Pong VR which I am one of the few people that actually enjoy playing that as the physics are pretty accurate contrary to what most reviewers have said but I am a club table tennis player and had to apply real life serving techniques to progress. But the opponents were blocky and bland and somehow forced my gameplay to adapt cutting style rallies (which is my forte in real life table tennis)

Racket Fury is in comparison, absolutely awesome and very different in the way the opponents forces your gameplay. In Ping Pong VR, it's all cutting, under spin to gain advantage. Racket Fury on the other hand forces a more aggressive gameplay where top spin rules the day making for faster agrressive rallies, very much justifying its title. The opponents are superbly progressive. The feel of hitting the ball is wonderful. The physics is accurate, although I do feel it maybe a tad supportive in terms of force, whereas Ping Pong demands more precision in your strikes.

Tracking is amazing, not once has my shots been misread. Not once. Despite my very snappy wrist action shots and arm swing smashes. It's all tracked beautifully. This is the first game where I truly have immersed my whole body as I would in the real world. Stepping backward, forward, left and right to play my shots, I felt so damn free as I would at a real table (though, in reality I would sometimes move about a lot more backwards to returning opponent smashes... But the game ensure the opponents do not give you that kind of neccecity to go far backwards. The robotic opponents are remarkably lifelike with their movements and abilities, helping to complete the whole fabulous immersion. This was a proper workout session too , if you want to beat the advanced opponents you have no choice but to work hard, unlike the old Wii sports games, there is no cheating here, it knows how much force you are applying from your movements.

The game currently has no multilayer but apparently that will be implemented soon as its already on the PCVR version. I am not a multilayer so I am not bothered but this is the first time I feel a little desire to play against my table tennis friends in a virtual world when we cannot get time to play each other in the real world.

This is hands down for me, the greatest real world sports implementation where my physical actions are not far off from reality. And is yet another game that is jumping straight in to my top favourite psvr games which I have to say has been changing rapidly over the last several months!

My second favourite sports vr game is Dream Match Tennis VR, another superbly implemented racket sport game. But of course, the real world calls for much running around on court but in table tennis, there isn't any running around so Racket Fury embodies real world physical play much more easily.

As a solo player game its a 10/10 for me but given its lack of multiplayer so far it may be an 8/10 for many of you.

Now gonna try Creed tomorrow as Racket Fury has given me my physical workout for the day!

Last edited:
Multiplayer should be pretty soon, apparently. I've heard a few good reviews of it, but I'm really bad at table tennis!

Creed is really good, if a bit short for the campaign. Not tried the PvP on it yet

Multiplayer should be pretty soon, apparently. I've heard a few good reviews of it, but I'm really bad at table tennis!

Creed is really good, if a bit short for the campaign. Not tried the PvP on it yet

Yeah they promised before Christmas I recall but the career mode in the meantime is pretty lengthy.

It's hard for me to tell if non table tennis players or beginners will enjoy this but thinking about it, the practice mode is pretty great way to learn the game as the opponent serves as a good training buddy with practicing consistency in rallies. However, the opponents play a lot differently in the main game, throwing spins and slices at you, ha.

But you have been addicted to Sparc and I expect you are very good at it, so I think you might be a natural in adapting to other racket sports.

Can't wait to play Creed, I did install and load it up, and got goose pimples as eye of the tiger blasted out. Got a brief taste of the gym room (lovely! Is that a young rocky in the far corner?!). But saving the rest for tomorrow :)

I bought this last night.. Can only say its fudgeing brilliant! What a great experience, being able to pull off any kind of shot you could make in real life with 100% accuracy is amazing. You totally get lost in the experience, even the feedback from the ball is spot on. When multiplayer becomes available, that'll be the icing on the cake. Very highly recommend this to anyone currently on the wall.

I used to enjoy R* table tennis back in the day so might get this, do you have to move side to side a lot as I don't have a great deal of room to either side of me. It's the one downside of having my own 'mancave' for my games and stuff, it's ideal for regular gaming and racing seat setup games but not ideal for big workout vr type games. And I can't really be bothered to unset up everything and bring downstairs to play then take it back up and set it all up again

First world problems:laugh:

I used to enjoy R* table tennis back in the day so might get this, do you have to move side to side a lot as I don't have a great deal of room to either side of me. It's the one downside of having my own 'mancave' for my games and stuff, it's ideal for regular gaming and racing seat setup games but not ideal for big workout vr type games. And I can't really be bothered to unset up everything and bring downstairs to play then take it back up and set it all up again

First world problems:laugh:

The more advance ai opponents do hit to the corners frequently but never off the sides as far as I have experienced. But basically for maximum cover you need half an arm length extra on each side of you (as you stand with arms stretched out. It's not as demanding for space as you might imagine but it also helps to be able to step forward and back occasionally too

Still think this is a great game although one annoyance is the serving mechanics. I wish you could throw the ball up slightly as opposed to just dropping the ball, makes serving troublesome and I'm loosing a lot of points as a result.

Still think this is a great game although one annoyance is the serving mechanics. I wish you could throw the ball up slightly as opposed to just dropping the ball, makes serving troublesome and I'm loosing a lot of points as a result.

You can throw it. Just release the T button as you move your arm upwards. Let rip your spin serves!

Last edited:
Best ping pong ive ever played and i was a club player back in the day.

Will put Fury on my to get list.

OMG that brings back memories! I had it on the speccie 48k so it wasnt as colourful as your version, it was monochrome but it was indeed superb but what blew me away was its 3 channel music title intro beeping out of my speccie's poor little beeper speaker, first game to simulate a boppy multichannel soundtrack on the beeper. Commodore and Amstrad owners failing to see the big deal we speccie owners had with this game, lol.

The higher the level I progress to, the more I realise how much the game assists and how less realistic it becomes (ie arcadey) ..yet that's what makes the game so enjoyable compared to Ping Pong which is brutally sensitive and simulated (though less accurate in tracking fast movements).

I played ping pong vr again (which incidentally is on sale too for £2.49) to compare and its so different, very difficult even for club table tennis players and far less enjoyable now (to think I was playing this regularly and enjoying it at the time).

So even though Ping pong vr is now only £2.49 I don't recommend it anymore, go for the more expensive Racket Fury as its ten times more polished, more fun, and more satisfying for any standard of IRL player including non players.

Aaarghh, have been trying to get past the third tier of cpu opponents in the championship for ages but they are bloody hard. There's four tiers to win the championship.

So like the sore loser that I am, I am blaming the game ai physics, lol. I mean they smashing back all my smashes which is fine, I can handle that most times but they also smash my heavy slices which should theoretically all go into the net unless they slice back and they move around the table abnormally too quickly.

Love it though despite the frustration because these tougher opponents are working up more sweat than ever before.

And having said all that, looking at the trophies list, 2.3% of players achieved winning the championship so of course it's doable, I am just not good enough so just need to work harder at it, try different tactics/playing style. I got to semi pro but that feels quite easy to achieve and sure enough 18% got that too which is high for sports games.

I have also played real table tennis with my friend since and I feel this game can help beginners to play the real thing. And also in some ways can help better players too through developing consistency in rallies as a means of self memory muscle training. However, I don't feel it will improve our skills as the game applies a lot of assistance, and I do feel that with tee advance ai opponents.

Will see what kind of improvements the update brings when it arrives.

I'm sooooo tempted by this but don't have any Move controllers, and wow are they expensive!! This game would essentially cost me around £100, which is a bit much for a 1 dimensional tabe tennis game, no matter how good the physics are!

I'm sooooo tempted by this but don't have any Move controllers, and wow are they expensive!! This game would essentially cost me around £100, which is a bit much for a 1 dimensional tabe tennis game, no matter how good the physics are!

I was going to suggest get them at CEX as I remembered they were selling them for £12 each and then later £20 each but oh my god, I just checked and they are now selling for £48 each... What the hell!?!

Well done to those new psvr owners who went for the headset/move controller bundles during the awesome sale period last month. But surely this move controller price hike cannot be healthy for PSVR progression?

I suggest keep an eye out regularly for sales (get email notifications from John Lewis etc) as they sometimes discount their move controllers by about 30-40%.

Move controllers are essential for many psvr games to experience full immersion...such as this game, Creed, Until Dawn, London Heist etc.

When I got my PSVR this time last year, you couldn’t find move controllers for love nor money, Aim was the same.

Eventually managed to pick up an Amazon warehouse deal, a pair for about £70.

They are even going for silly money on ebay. Glad I had some from my PS3, even if they do have mini-usb charge ports.

Same here had some from my PS3 which I think I only used twice and had been sitting in a draw for many years.
I ended up buying the Amazon Basics VR stand for my headset which conveniently comes with the old mini-usb ports for the the old moves. Decent stand too :)

Btw - am loving Racket Fury but even though I used to play a fair bit of table tennis finding it quite tricky but it does feel reasonably realistic to some extent so think I just need lots of practice.

Managed to finally bag some move controllers for a sensible price off ebay, primarily to play beat saber which my daughter & i have been enjoying but i also bought racket fury for a sale price of £7.99 & what can i say other than WOW! i've been blown away it! TJ's original post perfectly sums this game up for me, i've not played table tennis since i was a kid but this is like having my own table in my very small living room! The physics & degree of control are spot on & the opponents provide a real workout, This is quite possibly the best £7.99 i've spent on anything gaming related period :). Did have one comical moment though where i was unaware my wife had walked in the room just as i was almost in a full dive to my right to return an angled shot & gave my wife a good crack with the move controller! The dangers of being fully immersed in VR eh!:laugh:. Big thanks to TJ for his initial assessment of this game as i bought it based on that over other reviews i'd seen & i couldn't be happier with it :smashin:

Managed to finally bag some move controllers for a sensible price off ebay, primarily to play beat saber which my daughter & i have been enjoying but i also bought racket fury for a sale price of £7.99 & what can i say other than WOW! i've been blown away it! TJ's original post perfectly sums this game up for me, i've not played table tennis since i was a kid but this is like having my own table in my very small living room! The physics & degree of control are spot on & the opponents provide a real workout, This is quite possibly the best £7.99 i've spent on anything gaming related period :). Did have one comical moment though where i was unaware my wife had walked in the room just as i was almost in a full dive to my right to return an angled shot & gave my wife a good crack with the move controller! The dangers of being fully immersed in VR eh!:laugh:. Big thanks to TJ for his initial assessment of this game as i bought it based on that over other reviews i'd seen & i couldn't be happier with it :smashin:

Damn, was your wife ok?!? Did she smack you back! Glad you enjoying it!

I'm waiting for a promised update by the developers that will include simulation real physics mode (because the games is currently assisted for that arcadey feel ....which is great as you have experienced). The simulation mode will be,I imagine, a whole different experience. Plus they promise online play with your friends.

I see you loving these physical challenge vr games, so now that you have move controllers (well done with getting them), I highly recommend Superhot and Creed after you tire of Beat Sabre and Racket Fury :)

Damn, was your wife ok?!? Did she smack you back! Glad you enjoying it!

I'm waiting for a promised update by the developers that will include simulation real physics mode (because the games is currently assisted for that arcadey feel ....which is great as you have experienced). The simulation mode will be,I imagine, a whole different experience. Plus they promise online play with your friends.

I see you loving these physical challenge vr games, so now that you have move controllers (well done with getting them), I highly recommend Superhot and Creed after you tire of Beat Sabre and Racket Fury :)

Oh yeah she smacked me back alright! hurts twice as much when you don't see the punch coming 'cos you've still got the headset on! :laugh:

Really hope they get round to adding those updates a simulation mode would be very interesting. One thing i have noticed is that by tier 3 the opponents pretty much return nearly every shot you make no matter how good it is, i've found that to score points i have to rely more on staying in a rally for as long as possible until they finally overhit the table rather than trying to make a passing shot yourself, still a bloody good game though :)

This game is responsible for me taking my first VR tumble! Yesterday i tried to play a shot & lent forward a bit too far, my brain said 'it's ok just put your hands on the table to break your fall' obviously no table there & i fell flat on my face.....much to my wifes delight!:rotfl:

As for your recommendation on creed & superhot, superhot is definitely on my want list but unsure about Creed? I'm a massive boxing fan & really disappointed there's no Boxing game available for the ps4, i have UFC 3 which is good but i prefer straight up boxing so have to keep going back to my xbox 360 for my fight night fix, Creed is on sale at the moment & i nearly bought it the other day but bought sprint vector instead which i'm not massively keen on, You were spot on about Racket fury TJ so maybe i'll take your recommendation & grab Creed while it's cheap :thumbsup:

PS4 update due soon

Hello guys! Racket Fury dev here :)

It took a while, but I’m excited to announce that a brand new Racket Fury update for Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest and Steam VR is finally out there!
I really apologize for all the delays but I can assure you I was listening to community’s voice and tried my best to incorporate your advice and ideas into the update. There’s just one programmer (me :D) working on this game so I really hope you will understand that such a big update took me 1,5 month of hard work.

Here’s a list of fixes/improvements and new stuff :)

✅ Improved physics (!)

✅ New Training Scenery (Day/Night)

✅ New Multiplayer (created from scratch)

✅ New Multiplayer lag compensation algorithm

✅ Multiplayer Direct Match support (online-play for the same account/different platform)

✅ Added Multiplayer Room List

✅ Improved matchmaking system (more random)

✅ Fixed - disappearing controller bug

✅ Fixed voice chat support

✅ Tweaked AI

✅ Fixed - friend list save bug

✅ Big performance improvements

✅ Improved Practice Mode + added AI switch options

✅ Fixed - choppy ball movement

✅ Fixed - Avatar Image issue

✅ Changed - ball design

✅ Many more minor fixes/improvements :)

Hopefully, you will find the update exciting! If you already tried Racket Fury and wasn’t keen on it, please try it again! There’s a chance you’ll change your mind, as the game has changed tremendously! :)

P.S - PS4 players - Your update is on its way and when it arrives it's going to include ALL of the above :)

Please let us know how you like the update and if you have any ideas/suggestions, do not hesitate to share them! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom