There will be some systems sitting in dusty corners quietly doing something vital.
Well, up to a point.

If only they'd used an unsigned integer it wouldn't have been a problem until 2106!

Third whale to be stranded and died in Thames since 2009

Anyone else ever been refused service at a KFC due to health and safety reasons?
And no, this was nothing to do with their food hygiene, but the fact I wasn't wearing a hi-vis vest!!!!!!!!

So, a bit of background.
I came of the ferry last night at 10pm and since I hadn't eaten I pulled into the KFC just outside the Port. I parked up and walked over but the door was locked. I had to walk past the drive-thru window to get to the door and had noticed the staff inside. So I walked back over to the window, and mouthed 'are you still open' while pointing at my watch.
The first guy opened the window so I asked again if they were still serving and his reply was 'I don't know'. At that, a girl came to the window and initially I didn't catch (or believe) what she said so she repeated 'Health and Safety, can't serve you without a hi-vis vest'. I shook my head and asked if she was being serious which she confirmed. So to clarify I asked if I was to walk to my car, put on my PPE gear would she then serve me which she confirmed she would.
At this point a third worker came to the window and he could see by the stunned look on my face that I was a bit miffed. He then said, 'don't worry, I'll serve you'. Unfortunately by this point I'd had enough and told them to go fudge themselves and headed back to my car and drove off.

Only thing I can think off was that they are not allowed to serve someone at the drive-thru window if they are not in a car, but I had already pointed to my car when she first mentioned a hi-viz vest. Why not just say, 'sure, no problem, but you'll need to come through in your car'.

Just heard someone from an insurance company saying "We can buy data from Nest to see what's going on in your house..."

Really? o_O

Am I missing something, the American authorities are getting themselves all in a tizzy because of deaths from vaping, less than two dozen at the last count, yet there are over 480,000 smoking related deaths per year?

Anyone else ever been refused service at a KFC due to health and safety reasons?
And no, this was nothing to do with their food hygiene, but the fact I wasn't wearing a hi-vis vest!!!!!!!!

So, a bit of background.
I came of the ferry last night at 10pm and since I hadn't eaten I pulled into the KFC just outside the Port. I parked up and walked over but the door was locked. I had to walk past the drive-thru window to get to the door and had noticed the staff inside. So I walked back over to the window, and mouthed 'are you still open' while pointing at my watch.
The first guy opened the window so I asked again if they were still serving and his reply was 'I don't know'. At that, a girl came to the window and initially I didn't catch (or believe) what she said so she repeated 'Health and Safety, can't serve you without a hi-vis vest'. I shook my head and asked if she was being serious which she confirmed. So to clarify I asked if I was to walk to my car, put on my PPE gear would she then serve me which she confirmed she would.
At this point a third worker came to the window and he could see by the stunned look on my face that I was a bit miffed. He then said, 'don't worry, I'll serve you'. Unfortunately by this point I'd had enough and told them to go fudge themselves and headed back to my car and drove off.

Only thing I can think off was that they are not allowed to serve someone at the drive-thru window if they are not in a car, but I had already pointed to my car when she first mentioned a hi-viz vest. Why not just say, 'sure, no problem, but you'll need to come through in your car'.

Sounds okay to me, a little over the top of course, but understandable if I have understood the scenario correctly.

I think you are saying that you wanted to be served as a pedestrian using the drive-through counters. So they are saying that they are concerned for your safety because you are standing in a road and don’t want to considered liable if a car comes round the road and knocks you over.

Cheers,

Nigel

Sounds okay to me, a little over the top of course, but understandable if I have understood the scenario correctly.

I think you are saying that you wanted to be served as a pedestrian using the drive-through counters. So they are saying that they are concerned for your safety because you are standing in a road and don’t want to considered liable if a car comes round the road and knocks you over.

Cheers,

Nigel

No, I went to the hatch to ask if they were open and still serving after I'd tried the main door and it was locked. They could see me pull up in my car and get out to go to the main door, and I also pointed out that my car was there.
All they had to say was 'yes we are still open, but drive thru only. If you'd like to come through in your car we'll take your order'.

No, I went to the hatch to ask if they were open and still serving after I'd tried the main door and it was locked. They could see me pull up in my car and get out to go to the main door, and I also pointed out that my car was there.
All they had to say was 'yes we are still open, but drive thru only. If you'd like to come through in your car we'll take your order'.
Ok thanks. Still not clear what the hi-viz vest is for then. So were they saying that they would let you into the sit down part but only if you were wearing a hi-viz or that you could only use the drive through part if you wore a hi-viz.

Cheers,

Nigel

Next time you call at KFC may I suggest you have to hand and pop it on before trying to make an order.
images.jpg

You’re still not getting any KFC:)

A woman, not unattractive has just dropped this off at my house. She found dumped it in Crammond which is around 7 miles away whilst she was dog walking and as she was passing knocked at my door.
Strange thing is it has my address on it, well the Hermes delivery label but little else, no clue where it came from or date.
2019-10-11 15.17.49.jpg

So you didn’t order it then? :laugh:

Is it safe to heat up milk, leave overnight at room temp to cool down to cold, then re-heat in the morning?

I'm asking about porridge making......................

I want to put Porridge, 4 parts water, 1 part milk, into the microwave, and give it a good cooking, so it's up to boiling temp.
Then, rest a plastic chopping board over the top, to keep the heat in, and let it cool down and thicken nicely overnight, ready for me to microwave back up to boiling in the morning ready to eat it.

I tried this concept last weekend, but with water only as I was unsure about the milk aspect, and whilst it was ok, it was a bit lacking due to no milk.

I use fully skimmed milk by the way.

Do you think it's safe to use milk in this manner, milk/water mix, up to boiling. leave to go stone cold overnight then re-heat in the morning, or a very bad idea as things will happen to the milk?

Thanks.

Is it safe to heat up milk, leave overnight at room temp to cool down to cold, then re-heat in the morning?
If it were me I would just take a bowl and add cold milk to the oats and leave it in the fridge over night no heat. The oats should expand gradually absorbing the milk without heating. Then in the morning pop in the microwave to heat before eating.

If it were me I would just take a bowl and add cold milk to the oats and leave it in the fridge over night no heat. The oats should expand gradually absorbing the milk without heating. Then in the morning pop in the microwave to heat before eating.

Thanks, but I tried that the weekend before and it did practically nothing.
I do add a LOT of liquid and really cook the oats a lot so I get a BIG bowl with the minimum of oats, which may have something to do with it.
But unless I do bring it to boil, it just sits there having done nothing overnight in the liquid.

Thanks, but I tried that the weekend before and it did practically nothing.
I do add a LOT of liquid and really cook the oats a lot so I get a BIG bowl with the minimum of oats, which may have something to do with it.
But unless I do bring it to boil, it just sits there having done nothing overnight in the liquid.
Oh, maybe it's down to the type of oats, to be honest I think I've used quick cook oats, and generally preparing a bowl from scratch in the morning has only taken about 3 or 4 minutes in the microwave.

Oh, maybe it's down to the type of oats, to be honest I think I've used quick cook oats, and generally preparing a bowl from scratch in the morning has only taken about 3 or 4 minutes in the microwave.

Yes, I'm sure the type of oats do make a difference as you say.
I'm using, pretty much standard scots porridge oats type of oats.
Not quick, or jumbo, just bog standard.

I put about 9 - 1 liquid to oats, and cook it a LOT
As I said a lot of liquid, and I add some chocolate protein powder at the very end, which thickens a bit also.

I don't get it - what is the relevance of this picture of an empty room with bunch of paperwork in the foreground?

What's the opposite of a chameleon?

That pic was taken a couple of winters back when there was the really bad snow. We were cut off for 3 or 4 days and that was me preparing to walk to the shop. I wasn't taking any chances. :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom