Ratched Season 1 (Netflix) TV Show Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Oh dear. In Casimir I trust!

Well I was so going to start watching this tonight, was quite looking forward to it in fact, now however I shall find something in my iTunes account instead I feel, cheers for taking the hit for us Cas! 😂

Well that's disappointing.

Well I was so going to start watching this tonight, was quite looking forward to it in fact, now however I shall find something in my iTunes account instead I feel, cheers for taking the hit for us Cas! 😂
But YOU might like it!
However I do usually agree with Cas but snowpiercer was a 4 from me and I don't think Cas even reviewed the whole season. That should be cancelled, it was gash.
Right, I was looking forward to this, now I'm not. Will I still watch it? Probably, once we've finished You.

I’m normally in line with what Cas thinks and maybe I’ll try it if there is nothing else on, which is rare these days, I have to say that I’m finding less and less on sky to watch these days, Walking Dead, Westworld to name a couple, getting harder and harder harder to justify the cost.

But YOU might like it!
However I do usually agree with Cas but snowpiercer was a 4 from me and I don't think Cas even reviewed the whole season. That should be cancelled, it was gash.
Right, I was looking forward to this, now I'm not. Will I still watch it? Probably, once we've finished You.

No mate, I jumped that train long before it reached the station. Agree, Snowpiercer's 6/10 was lenient because I was hoping it would get better not worse.

Yes, everybody should find out for themselves, but there are only so many hours in the day, and I'd say things like Snowpiercer and Ratched (and latter seasons of AHS) are just not worth risking anybody's time.

Haunting of Bly Manor is just around the corner, save yourself for that and watch Devil All the Time in the meantime instead, IMO.

No mate, I jumped that train long before it reached the station. Agree, Snowpiercer's 6/10 was lenient because I was hoping it would get better not worse.

Yes, everybody should find out for themselves, but there are only so many hours in the day, and I'd say things like Snowpiercer and Ratched (and latter seasons of AHS) are just not worth risking anybody's time.

Haunting of Bly Manor is just around the corner, save yourself for that and watch Devil All the Time in the meantime instead, IMO.
Cheers Cas. Any chance of a bordertown review?
I know what you mean about time and reviews. I almost always look for reviews before I start watching something, just to get the general gist of the programme or film to gauge whether it'll be for me or not. My Mrs thinks I'm wrong and that I should pretty much just watch stuff blind, which is fine but there are things that I know once I've read about I just know I won't like.

I’m normally in line with what Cas thinks and maybe I’ll try it if there is nothing else on, which is rare these days, I have to say that I’m finding less and less on sky to watch these days, Walking Dead, Westworld to name a couple, getting harder and harder harder to justify the cost.
I still think Netflix provides the best vfm. Yes there's a lot of average shows but there's some absolute blinders. More so if you don't mind foreign series with subs.

Thanks Cas. I was never sure about this one, and I am a huge fan of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

I'm also a fan of AHS, but even just from the trailer the tone of this didn't feel right, and I was a bit worried. Will avoid now though you've gone as low as a 4.

And given Netflix's history with their new shows, I certainly wouldn't hold my breath on it reaching Season 4!!

After the first couple of episodes we've just been watching this with the mindset that it's just this year's new season of AHS that we won't be getting because of covid.
With that perspective it's working out alright, but as a big fan of Cuckoo's Nest.... as a prequel for the character it's literally in name alone. I don't see how anyone would be able to connect this with that. There's no way this is even remotely the same character and I struggle to see how anyone could see her this way unless it's some kind of alternate reality. They should have just called it Psycho Nurse or something and given her her own identity because this isn't Nurse Ratched at all.

Cheers Cas. I was very much on the fence with the idea of this. The only time I'll be returning to this world is with the orignal movie.

Why you wouldn't watch something because 1 guy doesn't like it is beyond me.

Watched the 1st 2 episodes last night, Paulson is great, worth it just for her really, very underrated actress.

7.5/10 so far.

Why you wouldn't watch something because 1 guy doesn't like it is beyond me.

Watched the 1st 2 episodes last night, Paulson is great, worth it just for her really, very underrated actress.

7.5/10 so far.

Appreciate your opinion mate, although it seems counterintuitive that you'd voice it given how little you appear to value opinions.

Forget the scoring, its the reasoning behind the review that will inform your decision as to whether it helps you.

The reality is that plenty of people still love AHS, hence why it's on season 25, so they're going to love AHS: Ratched.

But I think I explained who I didn't think would like this:
a) people expecting it to be even vaguely related to the 70s classic it was supposedly born from
b) people who ditched AHS after the first few decent seasons.

If you still love AHS, and of course Paulson because, well, what would AHS be without her, then this might be right up your street.

I love the film, and took a hit for all those who, like me, hoped for a vaguely interesting prequel spin-off, because this really isn't that.

And some people don't have the time to watch *everything*. You have to trust some sources to give you a clue as to what is worth your time.

I found I had to completely mentally disconnect this from Cuckoo's Nest to enjoy it, it took a couple of episodes but I got there. My Mrs has always recoiled when I've tried to show her Cuckoo's Nest for some reason but loves AHS and Sarah Paulson and was all the way in on this from episode 1. I think Cas was spot-on with the will's and won't's on who's going to like this.
Visually, it's a feast for the eyes, the design seems to go all the way through it the same way it did with a show like Hannibal. I can't fault the look of it at all, it really is stunning. But it's definitely more like a sequel to AHS Asylum than it is a prequel to Cuckoo's Nest. In it's own right, I actually think this series is pretty good, it definitely fills the gap left by no new AHS this year. But it wasn't easy putting my 30+ year love affair with Cuckoo's Nest aside, and even then I found myself irrationally infuriated by it at times. But if you like AHS (or maybe haven't ever watched it) and don't have a thing for Cuckoo's Nest and it's characters there's plenty here to like. There's some real nastiness on offer here for horror folks.

I still think Netflix provides the best vfm. Yes there's a lot of average shows but there's some absolute blinders. More so if you don't mind foreign series with subs.
any suggestions thanks

any suggestions thanks
I've listed dozens in the Netflix recommended thread, it's not really fair to list them all again here though.

Appreciate your opinion mate, although it seems counterintuitive that you'd voice it given how little you appear to value opinions.

Forget the scoring, its the reasoning behind the review that will inform your decision as to whether it helps you.

The reality is that plenty of people still love AHS, hence why it's on season 25, so they're going to love AHS: Ratched.

But I think I explained who I didn't think would like this:
a) people expecting it to be even vaguely related to the 70s classic it was supposedly born from
b) people who ditched AHS after the first few decent seasons.

If you still love AHS, and of course Paulson because, well, what would AHS be without her, then this might be right up your street.

I love the film, and took a hit for all those who, like me, hoped for a vaguely interesting prequel spin-off, because this really isn't that.

And some people don't have the time to watch *everything*. You have to trust some sources to give you a clue as to what is worth your time.
I agree with you that if you enjoy American Horror Story then you will like this. Did you put that in your review or did I miss it because I think that's a good statement to add.

However, calling someone counterintuitive and saying that they undervalue opinions is unnecessary just because they don't agree with you.

I need to give it more of a chance... But only got through half the first episode and started thinking it was god awful... Came here in the hope that the review would tell me to persevere - but looks like my gut was right. :(

I watched episode 1 last night. I liked the period and the visuals but not sure about the story.

When I read the summary, I got the impression she was going to be a great nurse, very likeable but with a sinister underside that got revealed slowly. But it jumped straight in, not very nice and likeable from the beginning, everyone saw through her immediately and she was only able to establish her position through blackmail. Lacked subtlety in my opinion

I will continue watching it, though I am always a little hesitant in watching these types of first seasons in case it is a waste of my time when they get cancelled.

Cheers,

Nigel

So did
Bordertown is superb, takes a few to get into the characters, but once hooked, we flew through three seasons.
We did as well. Kari is a fantastic character and superbly acted.

Cheers Cas. Any chance of a bordertown review?
I know what you mean about time and reviews. I almost always look for reviews before I start watching something, just to get the general gist of the programme or film to gauge whether it'll be for me or not. My Mrs thinks I'm wrong and that I should pretty much just watch stuff blind, which is fine but there are things that I know once I've read about I just know I won't like.

Maybe if there's another season, then we can cover the new one, but we don't often get the chance to cover older shows unless they're given a new release (i.e. on BD).

Looks like I long missed the boat on this one, and have some catching up to do!

Maybe if there's another season, then we can cover the new one, but we don't often get the chance to cover older shows unless they're given a new release (i.e. on BD).

Looks like I long missed the boat on this one, and have some catching up to do!
There's a film coming called Sorjonen.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom