Real Ale club?

Eric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back working now and going to treat myself! So, I drink the ales from the local tesco, which I know a few people on here also enjoy..

However, I am sure I have exhausted the selection tesco have and want to try some different. So I have been looking at online clubs.

I have found a few via Google, the real ale company and beer hawk.

Any recommendations out there? I would like it where I don't choose which, just random ones.

Thanks

Eric

I only drink real ale too, so will watch this thread.
I buy some from Home Bargains as they sometimes have a few unusual ones.

I'm sure I've seen BeerBods mentioned on here before. Looked into a bit but I'm too much of a tightwad to pay £3 per bottle. It's an interesting concept, though. The idea is you drink one per week and receive tasting notes each time.

Actually, forget about the £3, it's more that I couldn't limit myself to one per week...

More details here: DRINK BETTER BEER | Beerbods

I've used Beer52 a few times, but only where theres an offer. I find the cost of a lot of these clubs is fairly high.

I have found the selections on Beer52 to be rather good and have only had a couple of duff beers (one was a grapefruit beer, not a great idea).

I do have a referral link for Beer52 that will give you a case of 10 for £12 (the regular case is 8 for £24, but you can add 2 extra beers for £5 but the first order you get the extra 2 for free). I also get a free case if you use the link.

Join Beer52

I was also emailed a code for cases for £19 for ever, the code is LP19.

Also found another code for £10 off a case, that was BOTTLE10.

I'd be interested in trying other companies as well if people have introduction offers then I'll happily sign up.

I've used Beer52 a few times, but only where theres an offer. I find the cost of a lot of these clubs is fairly high.

I have found the selections on Beer52 to be rather good and have only had a couple of duff beers (one was a grapefruit beer, not a great idea).

I do have a referral link for Beer52 that will give you a case of 10 for £12 (the regular case is 8 for £24, but you can add 2 extra beers for £5 but the first order you get the extra 2 for free). I also get a free case if you use the link.

Join Beer52

I was also emailed a code for cases for £19 for ever, the code is LP19.

Also found another code for £10 off a case, that was BOTTLE10.

I'd be interested in trying other companies as well if people have introduction offers then I'll happily sign up.
That looks interesting, going to read up on Beer52.

I'm tempted to ask my other half for a subscription or something for my birthday next month. I can't think of anything I want and while I wouldn't necessarily spend that on beer myself it's a bit different if it's a present and will probably get her out of a hole, as I'm notoriously difficult to buy for.

OP, maybe @invisiblekid may be able to offer some up-to-date thoughts on BeerBods, based on previous comments on this page: Post pictures of your recent purchases

Try a different supermarket, they often stock different beers so worthwhile having a trip elsewhere.

Also see if you have local brewery. One nearby me does free tasters :)
  • Help-yourself tasters 8-6pm everyday (2 pint limit)
Will be rammed until 6pm tonight for those on the way home!!

Try a different supermarket, they often stock different beers so worthwhile having a trip elsewhere.

Also see if you have local brewery. One nearby me does free tasters :)
  • Help-yourself tasters 8-6pm everyday (2 pint limit)
Will be rammed until 6pm tonight for those on the way home!!
Have I read that right – two pints between 8am and 6pm every day? Save me a seat...

Yup, to say it is busy is an understatement....
That's amazing. And enough time to have a couple in the morning, get a hair cut and change of clothes, and go back in the afternoon.

Not online, but Costco often have a good selection of ales.

Graham.

A lot of micro breweries have web pages. I've contacted some and asked for suppliers close to my postcode. The Co-op sell quite a few. Try Free Miners, my cousin's brewery in the Forest of Dean.

Beerhawk have a good range of ales and craft beer.

I mostly get mine from Lidl. Great range and the Hatherwood brewery they stock is amazing! They have about 5 different beers from that brewery and they are all amazing!

Thanks for the replies. Will read properly on the imac tomorrow.. Have an issue with my iPad right now :)

You have to ask yourself what you mean by 'real ale'. I for example don't restrict myself to micro/small breweries. Some of the big boys also produce some very fine ales:

Marston's Pedigree, English Pale Ale
Fuller's Bengal Lancers IPA
Green Green Kings IPAs
Brakspear Oxford Gold

As some have already mentioned Lidl do some great beer I'm working my way through their selection and would recommend all the following:
Deuchars IPA
Ringwood Brewery: Boondoggle
Shepherd & Neame: IPA, Burns Ale (Available XMas time)
Hatherwood (Lidl Own Brand): Golden Goose, Amber Adder
Ringwood: Old Thumper
Portobello: Star

I find Asda to have the best selection, plus they're almost always 4 for a fiver where the other supers tend to be 3 for a fiver or 4 for £6.

Money's right for me lately so I have to go for the best deals, Asda almost always wins.

Big fan of the more pale Badger ales in the summer, particularly the Golden Glory. Nicely chilled it goes down a treat. Our local Tesco seems to do a great selection.

In the colder months I enjoy a Butty Bach.

Need to try out some new ones this summer.

Edit: just realised you're looking for a club and have already commented on Tesco's range. Apologies.

Just tried a Porter, Hatherwood 'Purple Panther' from Lidl £1.25 lovely beer and brewed by Wychwood (Hobgoblin).
1465380639099.jpg

PS, 'Just tried' was last night [emoji6]

Last edited:
According to untapped I've had 338 different beers prob over the last year, must cut down..nah

St Austell 'Proper Black' is well worth a go, it's currently in the tesco 4-4-6 offer :)

You wont see them in a supermarket, but Great Newsome 'Sleck Dust' and Wold Top 'Anglers reward' are my two local favourites at the moment.

If you want to try something that will horrify, confuse and impress you all at the same time, try the Wold Top 'Coastal series'

If anybody tries it, post back here with your tasting notes so we can all have a good laugh ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom