Real Or Fake 4K?

Venomx999

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i found this website which tells you exactly which films were and weren't filmed in 4k, you'd be suprised, aparrently The Revenant wasn't filmed in 4k either !

Real or Fake 4K

This site has been around for ages but I don’t think it’s updated anymore.

This site has been around for ages but I don’t think it’s updated anymore.

It's not that it is not updated, it's no longer. You go to the URL and you get a screen with an empty background. What I'd like to know iis if it's coming back or has it moved and changed the URL?

Way to bring a thread back from the dead. My post was 12 months ago :)

Hi guys, i found this website which tells you exactly which films were and weren't filmed in 4k, you'd be suprised, aparrently The Revenant wasn't filmed in 4k either !

Real or Fake 4K
The Revenant was filmed digitally using a variety of cameras, including the Arri Alexa XT at a resolution of 3.4K, the RED Epic Dragon with a resolution of 6K and the brand new Arri Alexa 65 at a resolution of 6.5K. The film was finished using a 4K Digital Intermediate, which presumably formed the basis for this Ultra HD Blu-ray release. The film is presented using a 3840 x 2160p transfer in the film's correct 2.40:1 aspect ratio, the disc uses 10-bit colour depth and is encoded using the HEVC (H.265) codec.
**Above courtesy of Avforums review - The Revenant Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Is there a replacement website that will tell you if a UHD movie is 4K or almost 4K since Real or Fake 4K is gone?

It will be back soon, there are just some temporary issues.

I hope so. What sort of issues is the site having?
Deciding whether the site itself is real or fake maybe?

Seems full of loonies judging by posts elsewhere with people quoting it...

What does it matter? A film can be made in "proper" 4k and look rubbish or in 2k and look amazing. I don't understand why people fixate on it.

What does it matter? A film can be made in "proper" 4k and look rubbish or in 2k and look amazing. I don't understand why people fixate on it.
It doesn’t matter, you’re right. I wish this thread hadn’t been resurrected from the dead. It’s just going to end up going over the same old ground again and again and again...

It doesn’t matter, you’re right. I wish this thread hadn’t been resurrected from the dead. It’s just going to end up going over the same old ground again and again and again...
A bit like anything where the Walking Dead are concerned....;)
Zombie threads, love them or loath them, you can't kill them... :(

Real or fake is irrelevant. It's picture quality that matters
Anything that isn't entirely shot on 4k is fake. Are there any movies shot like that. I don't think so
Dunkirk is on film So it's fake.
So what?
Then we inject hdr into 4k blu Ray..so that is fake
So what
If it looks good then that is all that matters
For those who don't sit a couple of feet from your screen, you can't see the 4k image anyway. It's invisible to the human eye unless sat very close 8k will be totally invisible even will insanely large screens.
So what if the 4k Is invisible. So what if the hdr and 4k upscale is fake
Ad long as it looks good who actually cares?

Anything that isn't entirely shot on 4k is fake. Are there any movies shot like that. I don't think so
Dunkirk is on film So it's fake.
Dunkirk was filmed using IMAX 65mm (15-perf) and 65mm (5-perf) large format film stock so it's far more than 4K resolution. probably the highest-resolution Hollywood movie ever put on screen. You have about 216 megapixels in an Imax frame. A 4K TV by contrast is around 8.3 megapixels.

Imax also scanned all original 15-perf negative at 8K, as well as select original 5-perf negative at 6K; cut the negative for the 15-perf Imax version; created a 15-perf Imax protection interpositive; scanned the interpositive at 8K to produce digital data for the Imax laser- and xenon-projected versions of the movie; and recorded filmout negatives of all 15-perf visual-effects material at an almost unheard of 6K resolution.
Dunkirk Post: Wrangling Two Large Formats - The American Society of Cinematographers

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom