Really bad colour smear when using TV (Especially black and dark red colours)

NishanCS

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello guys!

This is my first time posting here, made an account just for this (Also English isn't my first language so there's bound to be some errors) :)

So I bought a Samsung 4K TV, NU7102, 2 years ago and I've noticed almost immediately that something feels extremely off when turning a camera in games (Really bad examples are in Red Dead Redemption 2 which was the first game I played on this TV, Spider-Man PS4 which I have included a video off, a bit less noticeable on video, and weirdly enough Goat Simulator, which prompted me to create this post and hopefully find a solution for this).

Every time I play a game and I turn my camera, fast or slow, doesn't really matter, the whole picture looses detail. And not just textures, colour outline appears on the spots where the camera was pointing previously, so it's extremely annoying. It's like having a smear follow the lines of a character/building/grass etc. around whenever something moves. I have tried every single possible thing, I even bought 2 different HDMI cables. Tried it with gamemode on and off. HDR on and off. Playing in 1080p or 4K, nothing helps. If anyone experienced something similar, what did you do to fix it? Or is it a nonfixable problem?

Example on a dark Spider-Man suit

No worries on your English! I'm trying to understand the issue. The Tv looks great when watching with your eyes. But turns fuzzy when you try to film the screen with a camera - when looking at the picture you are recording?
If that's the case, could be one of the layers (could be 10+ different layers of filters, etc) that actually make up the screen on that specific tv that doesn't like the camera's focus or lens (maybe one of the polarized layers?)... I'm not a photography expert by all means, but I do know looking thru different layers of films and screens can cause distortion in a picture. It would be hard to say exactly what's causing it. Have you tried a different camera and/or different lens? Hope you can figure it out! Good luck.

Oh no no I might have come across wrong. I have issues when looking at screen directly, without camera. Everyone else that I have shown them the TV said the same thing. I'll see if I can get some better examples of what I mean. Example in Goat Simulator, I was doing a Trophy that required me going to space, a bunch of bright stars were around. If I turned the camera even slightly, the stars would disappear, getting consumed by a blur of a black colour. This continues until I stop moving my camera.

An example in Rocket League would be, when the screen is moving, everything is losing detail, from grass to car livery.

It's just so hard to put this into words :D

It sounds like the characteristic long response times on certain transitions that some VA type LCD panels have. It's an inherent characteristic and there's not much you can do expect putting up with it. You can adjust the contrast, but that has other side effects.

I agree... if you visually see it, could just be the quality of your lcd screen and tv
Maybe hop over the the Samsung forum and search for that specific tv and see if others have that issue? Just a thought.

Ah shoot I was scared that that was the issue... Oh well, guess it's time to start saving for a new TV.

Thanks for the responses guys!

May it be possible that you have some form of motion smoothing / prediction / frame interpolation turned on?

All that stuff should be disabled (for gaming anyway).

May it be possible that you have some form of motion smoothing / prediction / frame interpolation turned on?

All that stuff should be disabled (for gaming anyway).

It shouldn't be. I'm using Gamemode which disables all of that apart from Contrast Enhancer (that I am not using anyway :D ) on top of PC input. So I really think it could be a panel itself according to some other answers :(

I have the same issue with my €6000,00 retail Samsung 75q9fn, I got changed the internal graphic card/processor from Samsung assistance but the problem is still present, any other q9fn owner has the same issue???

Is very noteceable in thor 2 "the dark world" loki entrance scene (the loki hairs smears on red on the loki face)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom