Rebellion in Hong Kong

The CCP is determined to rule the world.

China won't stop with Hong Kong.

This was always coming. When the riots started last year, not the peaceful protests, but the months of destruction and intimidation by the rioters, it very much got to the point of China will do something if they are not careful and no one wins.

Here we are then:
  • A generation of young HK with bleaker futures;
  • Large banks and other multinationals likely to move to Singapore or Shanghai;
  • Local businesses losing money and many closed;
  • China putting in measures to ensure it protects HK as its territory.
  • HK now losing trading status with the US.
This all started from an extradition bill similar to what many countries have and must seem small fry now. The HK youth has dug their own grave for the future and it makes me sad. Their energy should have been spent on making a difference between now and 2047 by peaceful means.

That would be another step.
It would never end.

That would be another step.
It would never end.
China has no other significant disputes other than with Taiwan though.

It most certainly won't invade other countries if that is what you are thinking. That results in WW3.

Only way world has got a chance of dealing with China is to start pulling back from them and divert trade and investment away from them.

Will never happen as too many of worlds rich & powerful use China to get even richer.

Don't think it will go "Cold War" route, but who knows.

Think Saudi Arabia but with more money & trade involved.
Ultimately the world will tut a lot & when asked, say ‘I will raise the matter with China’, but otherwise the trade/investment is more important to them.

China has a big problem that is emerging now - other countries like Vietnam, Cambodia etc are where China was 30-40 years ago and the people in China have a much higher standard of living now.

And their economy is now muscling in on America’s territory in technology & science, which America sees as a threat, especially since China doesn’t really respect intellectual property.

The thing is, global trade is so linked now, any significant changes to dealings with China by the US will just mean the US economy will suffer. Imagine Apple having to sell Iphones for $300 more because they can't get the cheap parts and labour. They will suffer against Samsung and Huawei for instance.

Trump is widely known as not having a grasp of this and thinks insourcing everything to the US is the thing to do.

Only way world has got a chance of dealing with China is to start pulling back from them and divert trade and investment away from them.

Will never happen as too many of worlds rich & powerful use China to get even richer.

Still need their resources, though.

Govt should stop their companies getting involved in our infrastructure with immediate effect.

Last edited:
Yonden Lhatoo is a journalist and commentator working for the South China Morning Post (which I consider to be an independent HK news outlet).

Anyway, this article about Trump and HK captures how I have felt about both Trump and the HK protests While America burns, Donald Trump is busy ‘fixing’ Hong Kong’s problems .

A few things stand out and that I agree with:
  • Trump is busy trying to fix HK's social unrest when his own backyard is burning.
  • Trump calls rioters in the US "THUGS" and appears to advocate shooting them but 9 months of smashing up of HK and rioters attacking innocent bystanders (as in throwing bricks at an old man's face and setting others on fire) justified in the name of democracy;
  • Trump has announced stripping HK of its special trading status but has not provided what that actually means (sound familiar to his other threats?).
  • Stopping full trade with HK hurts HK locals and US based companies and barely scratches China.
The article also transposes the long running HK protestors' 5 demands onto the current situation with the US protests - just so people can see what it would look like in any other nation state:
  1. End racism, especially against African Americans.
  2. Stop characterising protesters as “rioters”.
  3. Full amnesty for all arrested protesters.
  4. An independent inquiry into police brutality.
  5. President Trump step down immediately.
Nuff said.

One of the things that really annoyed me throughout the HK rioting was the constant accusations from rioters of HK police ‘brutality’.

When they occupied & trashed HK university & were subsequently surrounded by police & ordered to surrender, the amount of BS I read from riot sympathisers crying ‘they’re killing us’, ‘murderers’ :rolleyes::facepalm:
Nobody was killed or murdered by the police. Total disconnect from reality, living in their spoilt, privileged little fantasy world. As far as I’m concerned, the HK police had been incredibly tolerant of the rioters.

If these riots were happening in the UK, in the heightened terrorism world we live in, throwing firebomb etc I’ve no doubt UK firearms police would have been called to deal with them.
If it was in the US, their police would have shot the HK rioters dead & been commended for justified shootings.

If they want to see/experience what true police brutality is, then they should open their eyes & look to the land of their ‘saviour’.

Last edited:
One of the things that really annoyed me throughout the HK rioting was the constant accusations from rioters of HK police ‘brutality’.

Exactly. Now, I am not going to say the police were 100% squeaky but when faced with mobs, when your family and kids are being abused, when you or your colleagues are being threatened for many months - some will lose control. But, that is nothing compared to what the rioters got away with.

I kept saying to friends and family over in HK, the police officers are citizens too.

In an interview with Chinese state television, Chen Daoxiang, the commander of the People’s Liberation Army garrison in Hong Kong, said it has the “determination, confidence and ability to protect national security” in the city.

I suspect the PLA would take a 'firmer' approach to dealing with the protesters.

Exactly. Now, I am not going to say the police were 100% squeaky but when faced with mobs, when your family and kids are being abused, when you or your colleagues are being threatened for many months - some will lose control. But, that is nothing compared to what the rioters got away with.

I kept saying to friends and family over in HK, the police officers are citizens too.
This is the video which I keep remembering.
How incredibly tolerant was this HK police officer?
If this was in the US (& possibly UK), those rioters would be justifiably (in any courtroom around the world) dead right now.

Yup - that video made me really mad at the rioters. I was in HK last year when they started smashing things up where I live. These were kids. Teenagers.

Here were a couple of discreet pics I took of some getting ready for "peaceful" protests. This was about 1 hour before it all kicked off and they started damaging the MTR station and burning shops before the riot police even arrived.

IMG-20190901-WA0031.jpg

IMG-20190901-WA0023.jpg

I will say one positive thing about the HK riots: they never looted.

They destroyed property, threatened innocent people, barricaded themselves inside a University but never looted.

I will say one positive thing about the HK riots: they never looted.

They destroyed property, threatened innocent people, barricaded themselves inside a University but never looted.
Maybe not looting, but still repeatedly vandalising/terrorising any businesses who ‘they’ felt had dared criticise them or weren’t anti China enough. Not looting, but the same net result for the trashed businesses...:(

Last edited:

Countries are already doing this see Australia as an example.

China has a big problem that is emerging now - other countries like Vietnam, Cambodia etc are where China was 30-40 years ago and the people in China have a much higher standard of living now.

Sorry Vietnam is not 30-40 years behind China at all.

The thing is, global trade is so linked now, any significant changes to dealings with China by the US will just mean the US economy will suffer. Imagine Apple having to sell Iphones for $300 more because they can't get the cheap parts and labour. They will suffer against Samsung and Huawei for instance.

Trump is widely known as not having a grasp of this and thinks insourcing everything to the US is the thing to do.

Major tech companies already planning the moves out of China. Don't be surprised to see a couple of the really big players make moves within the next 2 years.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom