Question Recommend me a Sub please!

D-an-W

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, not had much luck with fixing the hum on my old Wharfedale sub safely (Can remove earth to test and its gone) or without having to have it on full (With av:link Isolator inline) so I am looking to replace it with something potentially D Class (To hopefully rule out any further hum issues).

Does anyone have any recommendations for something no more than £500 (If possible!)?

The room is 6.6m x 3.28m (TV is halfway down longer wall) and currently the sub is towards the corner of the room.

Aesthetically I would like something matt and black in finish ideally and my AVR is a Denon AVR-X4500H if it matter (With no ground plug!).

As I said in the other thread you are in BK XXLS400 and Monolith or BK P12-300SB-PR territory for quality subs below that point.

Only other option is XTZ 12.17 edge but they are out of stock till August and the price will probably have gone up by then as they are on special offer atm.

Thanks @kbfern are those both "D Class" (I am currently reading / learning a lot so please excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject!)?

The XTZ is class D the BK are A/B.

Hi folks, not had much luck with fixing the hum on my old Wharfedale sub safely (Can remove earth to test and its gone) or without having to have it on full (With av:link Isolator inline) so I am looking to replace it with something potentially D Class (To hopefully rule out any further hum issues).

Does anyone have any recommendations for something no more than £500 (If possible!)?

The room is 6.6m x 3.28m (TV is halfway down longer wall) and currently the sub is towards the corner of the room.

Aesthetically I would like something matt and black in finish ideally and my AVR is a Denon AVR-X4500H if it matter (With no ground plug!).
you've got a decently sized room there and I would really try and get myself as powerful a sub as possible (will most likely have to be second-hand).

As kbfern suggested, XTZ 12.17 edge would be great at the current price but almost impossible to source one these days (even 2nd hand).

Among BKs I'd try and hunt down a Monolith or Monolith+ (check the forum's classifieds). Anything below that would struggle to fill your room with bass and you'll soon be longing for more

I'm not sure filling the whole room would go down too well!

I contacted XTZ to see if I could lock in the price for when there back in stock too (Whats the use in an offer otherwise!).

SVS PB-1000 possibly? £519 at Richer sounds and in stock. Class-D amp and does go down to 20Hz.

SVS PB-1000 possibly? £519 at Richer sounds and in stock. Class-D amp and does go down to 20Hz.
The monolith would be better than the PB-1000

The monolith would be better than the PB-1000
but also a high chance of humming noise which op has been having issues with the current sub

I’m going to try the SVS PB-1000 for several reasons. Local stock available, can try at home with no big return fee, black ash matches rest of my speakers and from reviews they don’t sound too shabby either.

I’m sure living with the Wharfedale for this long that the SVS should be somewhat of an improvement!

Good choice! I'm quite confident you'll like it

I’m going to try the SVS PB-1000 for several reasons. Local stock available, can try at home with no big return fee, black ash matches rest of my speakers and from reviews they don’t sound too shabby either.

I’m sure living with the Wharfedale for this long that the SVS should be somewhat of an improvement!
Are you buying from Richer Sounds? If you are may be worth trying to get a price beat with Audiologica. Audiologica offer a 5% welcome discount on first order when you subscribe to their mailing list. Managed to get it from RS for £485 including next day delivery ordering through the telesales team.

i have got the SVS PB200 Pro with the Denon X4500H and i think there superb together.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom