Recommended GFX Card for Dell T7920

rampant

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am waiting for delivery of my new Dell T7920 (2 * Silver 4214 CPU's / 128GB memory / 2 * 1TB SSD's). It has a 1300w power supply and i can use up to 4 GFX cards at a time. It doesn't come with a GFX card, and was wondering if you can give me any recommendations.

My machine is primarily used for SQL / OLAP / Machine learning / AI together with virtual machines for testing / developing software.
I also like to play some games. I have output to 2 monitors at 1080p - not 4k yet

I will be running Windows 10 on the machine as the primary OS together with VMWorkstation (my other server runs my HyperV VM's)

What would be a good graphics card to use? Ideally i want to have a GPU that's modern and would match in processing terms with the new CPU's (to reduce any potential bottlenecks) - In my current machine (Dell T5600) i have a 1050ti 4gb memory GFX card.

I'm looking at maybe the following price ranges:

sub 100
100-200
200-300.

would consider using 2 - so probably 600 max budget for both.

Regards

The first thing to check is what the programs you're using support in terms of APIs (OpenCL, CUDA etc.) and how their performance stacks up on different architectures. I doubt SQL or OLAP have much support, but machine learning and AI can definitely use them heavily.

Gaming is the main driver of card sales at those prices, so you can reliably assume that more expensive cards are faster there, with no large drops in performance. There are points where you get more for your money of course, but given your other requirements none are significant enough to influence your choice.

roughly the cards are simlar based on price with gaming being a bit better value on AMD 5700 and 5700 XT side compared to Nvidias 2060 and 2070 super cards. BUT as Endless waves mentions if you want it for anything more that just gaming you need to know if the one vendors cards do it better than the other - usually Nvidia is better outside of gaming.

forget 10xx

16xx or 570/580/590 - lower end but OK for 1080 gaming
2060 or AMD 5700 - mid range good for 1440p gaming
2070 super or 5700XT - mid range better for 1440p gaming
2080 - millions pounds but can do 4K gaming

personally I want to do 1440p (2K gaming) and have just bought a AMD 5700 XT as its very similar to a Nvidia 2070 super but £100 cheaper - but I am purely interesting in gaming.

decided to buy a Super 2070 in the end - gives me 4k gaming and also I will use Python with cuda for machine learning / AI - was a trade off on price. Cost me 15900bhat (around 400gbp) and I bought a LG 32" 4K monitor to go with it.

a 2070 super for 4K ? you will be turning the setting down on some games if you want to hit 60 fps but yeah I suppose, depends on what you play a a lot of games are fine with that card.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom