Red Dwarf BBC Blu Ray's

Reaction score
Smoke me a Kipper

Amazon have got the First five red dwarf series for release on blu ray on the 15th of august

not really they will be DVD up scaled at best.

Seems to be happening more and more lately but the complete lack of details surrounding them is very odd, almost like they don't want people to know they are coming.

I am happy with my decade old DVD's.

Yes they're releasing the US Paul MaGann Dr Who tv movie. This was shot on film so would benefit from a blu release if the original film material was available. I understand this is not the case and it would need work similar to the Star Trek TNG releases. I think this is unlikely and it'll also be an upscale.

Bri

Yes they're releasing the US Paul MaGann Dr Who tv movie. This was shot on film so would benefit from a blu release if the original film material was available. I understand this is not the case and it would need work similar to the Star Trek TNG releases. I think this is unlikely and it'll also be an upscale.

Bri

That one is also a bit of a mystery but at least a true HD release isn't impossible, Red Dwarf just doesn't have the source material available so expect nothing more than the masters they created for the DVDs stuck on BD with a better bitrate and perhaps lossless audio.

Of course if they go and change the framerate to 24p and/or smother the image in DNR they really will be a disaster.

That one is also a bit of a mystery but at least a true HD release isn't impossible, Red Dwarf just doesn't have the source material available so expect nothing more than the masters they created for the DVDs stuck on BD with a better bitrate and perhaps lossless audio.

Of course if they go and change the framerate to 24p and/or smother the image in DNR they really will be a disaster.

So you think they maybe SD transfers with a higher bit rate rather than an upscale? The possibility of this used to get talked about but hasn't been done to the best of my knowledge.

Bri

So you think they maybe SD transfers with a higher bit rate rather than an upscale? The possibility of this used to get talked about but hasn't been done to the best of my knowledge.

Bri

No I meant they took the masters they created for the DVD's and upscaled them but with a higher bitrate due to the increase storage space.

As for putting 576p SD material on Blu-ray it's quite popular in Germany with shows like Buck Rogers and Ren & Stimpy among the releases.

No I meant they took the masters they created for the DVD's and upscaled them.

As for putting 576p SD material on Blu-ray it's quite popular in Germany with shows like Buck Rogers and Ren & Stimpy among the releases.

Ah yes I seem to recall hearing of some SD releases abroad but I didn't know they were NTSC.

Bri

Ah yes I seem to recall hearing of some SD releases abroad but I didn't know they were NTSC.

Bri

NTSC is 480p, the German releases are 576p which is PAL.

Date has now changed to August 14th 2017

Perhaps this was all just Amazon jumping the gun.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom