Rega P6 Neo PSU Problem

pmdf

Standard Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to upgrading my turntable and purchased a Rega Planar 6 yesterday. Got it home and setup and all was working well. However, after a couple of hours of use, I switched it off and when I went back to switch on a little later, the Neo PSU was completely dead. I checked the manual and it states to use a Rega PS1 24v 350ma plug. The plug I received with the unit is a Rega PS2 24v 100ma plug. The P6 was an ex-display model, so I assume the store have put the wrong plug into the box.

I’m going to return to the store tomorrow, but wondered if anyone had any insight on whether the wrong plug could cause the problem described (but why would it have worked for a couple of hours if that was the case?) and whether it would have done any permanent damage to the PSU?

I really can't see how using the PS2 24v 100ma plug should have caused any damage. It's the same voltage, but just doesn't have the ability to provide enough current. I'd expect it to maybe make the Neo run slow, or perhaps not as stable as it should be (or not run at all). But obviously take the Neo back to the shop along with the power supply plug.

As an aside, I upgraded my old Planar 3 to the modern 24v motor (which can be powered directly form the PS2 24v 100ma plug). A little while after that, I got a Neo - and it made a far bigger improvement than I thought it could make. The Neo is very good stuff.

I really can't see how using the PS2 24v 100ma plug should have caused any damage. It's the same voltage, but just doesn't have the ability to provide enough current. I'd expect it to maybe make the Neo run slow, or perhaps not as stable as it should be (or not run at all). But obviously take the Neo back to the shop along with the power supply plug.

As an aside, I upgraded my old Planar 3 to the modern 24v motor (which can be powered directly form the PS2 24v 100ma plug). A little while after that, I got a Neo - and it made a far bigger improvement than I thought it could make. The Neo is very good stuff.

Thanks oscroft. Good to hear the Neo improved your setup. Everything was sounding fantastic for the couple of hours of use I got out of mine - no instability that I noticed at all. Sounded perfect and I didn't have an inkling that anything might be wrong. But now my lovely new P6 is sitting there silent - can't wait until it's up and running as it should be, so that I can enjoy it!

but wondered if anyone had any insight on whether the wrong plug could cause the problem described (but why would it have worked for a couple of hours if that was the case?) and whether it would have done any permanent damage to the PSU?

Yes, it's probably blown something inside the power supply (it's a psu, not a “plug”)
If a piece of equipment requires 350mA to operate and the psu can only supply a max of 100mA it will overheat and something's got to give.

Yes, it's probably blown something inside the power supply (it's a psu, not a “plug”)
If a piece of equipment requires 350mA to operate and the psu can only supply a max of 100mA it will overheat and something's got to give.

Makes sense. Thanks JayCee. Should be something that can be sorted out easily then.

The plug I received with the unit is a Rega PS2 24v 100ma plug. The P6 was an ex-display model, so I assume the store have put the wrong plug into the box.

I’m going to return to the store tomorrow, but wondered if anyone had any insight on whether the wrong plug could cause the problem described (but why would it have worked for a couple of hours if that was the case?) and whether it would have done any permanent damage to the PSU?
Looks like you're right - just checked and mine has the 350mA plug.
Don't just return the Neo, though - I believe they're matched to the TT (they should have the same Serial No.), so not sure what the impact of just swapping the NEO would be. You (or the store) might have to check the speed with a new one, and adjust accordingly.

Looks like you're right - just checked and mine has the 350mA plug.
Don't just return the Neo, though - I believe they're matched to the TT (they should have the same Serial No.), so not sure what the impact of just swapping the NEO would be. You (or the store) might have to check the speed with a new one, and adjust accordingly.

Thanks Bob, I'll bear that in mind. Looks like you're a fellow Cardiff-ian too - we live just outside these days, in the Vale but I bought the P6 in Cardiff. Maybe from the same place you got yours!

They're a great shop, so I've no doubt it'll all be sorted. Mistakes happen. Just frustrating that I can't get to use it today! I'm happy adjusting the speed etc myself, so not too worried about matching up, but definitely something worth being aware of.

Last edited:
Yep, it's got to be a possibility that the PS2 has overheated and failed. Given that it outputs AC, I suspect it's only a transformer, so I thought I'd try to open mine to find out. But I can't find a non-destructive way to open it, even with a spudger. I did wonder if there's a screw beneath the label, but I peeled it off and there isn't. (And, curiously, though it's rated 24v, mine outputs 30v)

Yep, it's got to be a possibility that the PS2 has overheated and failed. Given that it outputs AC, I suspect it's only has a transformer, so I thought I'd try to open mine to find out. But I can't find a non-destructive way to open it, even with a spudger. I did wonder if there's a screw beneath the label, but I peeled it off and there isn't. (And, curiously, though it's rated 24v, mine outputs 30v)

Thanks for taking so much effort on my behalf! When I first considered the supply as a possible culprit, I stared at it and turned it over and over looking for a way in. I didn't go as far as taking a spudger to it though! Just decided that, nope, this isn't meant to be user-serviceable. I'm a bit naive when it comes to electronics - as JayCee will testify when I called the power supply a "plug" - I was hoping it could be as simple as changing a fuse, but I think I'm learning that what plugs into my wall these days is a bit more complicated than that.

Taking an Occam's Razor approach, the power supply seems the most likely cause. It would also be the cheapest and simplest fix, so I hope that's the case.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob, I'll bear that in mind. Looks like you're a fellow Cardiff-ian too - we live just outside these days, in the Vale but I bought the P6 in Cardiff. Maybe from the same place you got yours!

They're a great shop, so I've no doubt it'll all be sorted. Mistakes happen. Just frustrating that I can't get to use it today! I'm happy adjusting the speed etc myself, so not too worried about matching up, but definitely something worth being aware of.
I am indeed, and even close to you - I live in Culverhouse Cross!!
If you mean Audio-T, then sort-of. I did get mine from them, but their Southampton store as an ex-demo mode. I've found their service (that store and the Cardiff one) to be exemplary.
Good luck.

I am indeed, and even close to you - I live in Culverhouse Cross!!
If you mean Audio-T, then sort-of. I did get mine from them, but their Southampton store as an ex-demo mode. I've found their service (that store and the Cardiff one) to be exemplary.
Good luck.

We're literally down the road from you - in Sully.

Yeah, it's Audio-T and they've never been less than awesome in my experience. I bought my first setup from them when they were still Audio Xcellence, over 20 years ago now. I've no doubt they'll help me sort it out.

What's this. Turning into a Cardiff AudioT love-in. I've bought the vast majority of my kit from them. Great bunch of lads and very helpful.

I bought my first setup from them when they were still Audio Xcellence, over 20 years ago now. I've no doubt they'll help me sort it out.
Ditto - When Tony Revell opened up in Canton, I was one of his first customers. Safe to say he virtually single-handedly changed the way we bought hifi kit in Cardiff.

Ditto - When Tony Revell opened up in Canton, I was one of his first customers. Safe to say he virtually single-handedly changed the way we bought hifi kit in Cardiff.

There's one piece of my system that remains totally unchanged from that initial setup I bought from them all those years ago - my Tannoy R2 speakers. I've heard "better" speakers, but none that match my taste better. Still using them now.

Even yesterday, they were great - did a demo on the fly for me at very short notice. It's unfortunate I got the wrong power supply - as I say, mistakes happen. Hopefully I'll get it sorted quickly and all will be good with the world again. 😎

One other thought - has yours come with the white belt or the new EBLT version?

Although I only bought mine recently, because it was ex-demo, it's "only" got the white belt, but the guys in the Cardiff store are trying to source a new one for me from Rega.

Thanks for the help guys. Just to confirm that my PS2 power supply was replaced with a PS1 by the helpful staff, and all is back up and working as intended! :clap:

Used Audio Excellence in Cardiff as well. Bought my first set of Kef Reference Model 1’s off them following a home demo. Before them I used Radiocraft in Canton. I lived in Gwaun-Miskin near Llantrisant back then and St Mellons before that. Always felt their service was excellent. Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom