Reinstalled windows now network hardware dosen't work

Richleoson123

Novice Member
Hi all,

I recently re installed windows 7 on my Toshiba satellite pro laptop because it was becoming extremely slow.

I did not have the windows disk so I installed via an ad card using a windows 7 .Iso file I purchased on eBay.

Unfortunately now the laptop dosent work properly as it cannot connect to the internet. Initially it didn't even recognise that any of my network hardware existed (wi-fi capability etc) I have now managed to reinstall all of the network adapters in device management but it still dosent work. I think it's something to do with the drivers.

I also think it could be something to do with not having the original toshiba installation disk but not sure.

My question is, where to I go from here to get a fully working laptop again?

Is there a fix that anyone knows that will get wi-fi working again? (Also tried a wired Ethernet connection but this dosent work either)

Is it worth purchasing a copy of windows 10 and reinstalling that? And would that even solve the problem or would I still need the Toshiba install disk.

Any help on how best to move forward spending little or no money would be greatly appreciated.

I would normally just buy a new one but it's an i5 processor and when working properly is a decent machine still.

Hope someone can help!!!

nheather

Distinguished Member
I suspect your theory about the drivers is correct. Windows generally does a good job of detecting hardware and using a suitable driver. But if that isn’t working go to the Toshiba site and download the drivers specifically for that model of laptop.

One simple thing to check first though - assuming this is WiFi you are using - you do have WiFi actually enabled - there is usually a hard or soft switch to turn the radio on and off (like aeroplane mode).

Cheers,

Nigel

Fe_man2000

check out device manager and see if there are a load of yellow exclaimation marks indicating hardware that is not working - usually due to drivers.

Now the idea when rebuilding old PC (e.g windows 7 or before) was that you downloaded all the drivers before the rebuild and kept them on a usb stick or similar. This is what you need to do and you will need a different PC to do it most likely. Once you get the wifi drivers/network card drivers installed you should be OK to get the rest.

if you dont have another PC you might be able to to this with a phone or tablet if you can use a usb stick or memory card in them to transfer them across.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Is it worth purchasing a copy of windows 10 and reinstalling that? And would that even solve the problem or would I still need the Toshiba install disk.
No need to buy a copy, Windows 7 keys are valid for Windows 10 installs and Microsoft offers the Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 installers for download for free on their website.

Intel have been using the Core i3/i5/i7 branding since 2009 so having an i5-branded processor doesn't mean it's still a capable PC. Windows 10 is worth a go though.

Did you get the network drivers from the Toshiba support page for your laptop?

Can you elaborate on what the problem actually is. 'Can't connect to the internet' and 'doesn't work' are rather vague descriptions.

Do you see any wi-fi networks? Can you connect to them? If you connect to a wi-fi network or plug in an ethernet cable then is your computing being allocated an IP by your router?

RayClem

Laptops are notorious about having proprietary hardware that requires proprietary drivers. Windows 10 has a robust collection of approved drivers online, but even it does not have everything. I have an old Windows 7 computer that has an IDE hard drive interface on the motherboard. Since no Windows 10 drivers are available for that interface, Windows 10 refuses to install.

If your laptop has an open USB port, you can readily purchase a USB WiFi adapter. Install the drivers, plug in the adapter and you should be back on your network. USB adapters are available for Wireless G, N and AC. The faster AC adapters are a little more expensive and they need a USB 3 port to achieve max throughput. However, they will still function on a USB 2 port, but at lower speed. The new WiFi 6 (AX) protocol exceeds the throughput of the USB 3 port, so there are no USB adapters available at this time. Your older laptop might not even have USB 3 ports.

If you get an inexpensive USB- WiFi adapter working, you should be able to connect to the internet and download any drivers you need for your laptop.

If your laptop is capable of running Windows 10, I suggest your do that as Windows 7 is end of life and will no longer be supported with security updates. That means it will be vulnerable to attack if connected to the Internet. Since your laptop was running slowly, it may be that it was already compromised.

Since you installed an early .iso verison of Windows 7 and support is no longer available, I doubt you will be able to get the updates that were provided over the past several years. That make using your laptop online quite risky.

Windows 10 is far from perfect, yet I have been successfully using the operating system on a variety of computers will few issues other than the hard drive interface driver issue noted above. I even understand that Microsoft is planning to eliminate the Metro interface that so many users despise. I have been using a program called Start 10 to provide a Windows 7 type start menu.

There is a free program called Classic Start Menu. It is no longer under development and may be give you an error message every time you boot up newer version of Windows, but I believe it will still works.