Reinstalling windows 10

Jonstone

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've been happily using windows 10 with no problems until today.

The PC suddenly crashed and then kept trying to reboot, going through diagnostics and then failing to repair. None of the options available would let the PC reboot.

I needed to do some paperwork so I deleted the partition and reinstalled my copy of windows 7 home premium. That went fine and I was able to get my work completed.

I then downloaded the ISO for windows 10 and burned it to disk so I could reinstall it as I find I like it. The problem is it asks for a product serial key on installation and I don't seem to have one that works. My windows 7 key doesn't work and I did not make a note of my windows 10 key after my free upgrade. The Microsoft site says it won't ask for the key if you do a reinstall but it is doing.

What do I need to do to be able to reinstall windows 10?

Thanks in advance

Do I need to delete my windows 7 install and do a clean install of windows 10? Is that my issue?

Thanks

I gathered that was my issue, not sure what went wrong with the previous install but I guess a completely clean install is always better anyway

A clean install of win 10 using you win 7 key when prompted should do the the job.
No, you don't put in the Windows 7 key.

Whether you install using the ISO or the Media Creation Tool, just skip the step asking for the key. As the OP has already done an upgrade install, Microsoft will have a record of the PC on their servers and it should reactivate again.

Just did a clean install, skipped the product key entry and it all went smoothly, thanks for the help

OK, so I have an issue worth sharing. My motherboard died. I installed a new motherboard and upgraded to Windows 10. I now have been sent a replacement motherboard and the sensible thing to do would be to switch back (much higher end motherboard). Issue now is, will MS think I am trying some elaborate scam by switching hardware (again!).

OK, so I have an issue worth sharing. My motherboard died. I installed a new motherboard and upgraded to Windows 10. I now have been sent a replacement motherboard and the sensible thing to do would be to switch back (much higher end motherboard). Issue now is, will MS think I am trying some elaborate scam by switching hardware (again!).
It depends on the license of your windows 7 (full or oem). If it's oem but your new motherboard is the same make and model (obviously a different serial number) then you may have to speak to ms to activate the license. If it's a new motherboard entirely it could be seen as you attempting to either upgrade and make a new computer or install on a new computer with an invalid licence in which case ms won't be too forthcoming otherwise everyone's motherboards would be 'mysteriously' breaking when new hardware comes out. That's the trade off with oem. Other hardware can be updated over time (too much at once will be an issue) but they pretty much stick to the motherboard as the identity of the pc.

If your windows 7 was a full licence your windows 10 will be. So you can keep it on any computer in which you upgrade from windows 7. However, only one instance of windows 10 can be used (you can't upgrade 2 PCs with the same windows 7 and use them simultaneously) and I'm not sure what will happen when the upgrade period expires - so find the product key and make a note!

Let us know how you get on, my motherboard has been sent back to supplier just after i activated windows 10 from a win 7 oem version, be interested if it activated or you had to phone ms support.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom