REL S/812 vs SVS

RatJones

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone on the forum have one of these or has had the chance to audition this? considering this heavily for my new 5.1.4 set up alongside MA Gold Series speakers.

If you do have this or have heard this can you let me know your thoughts?

I was also looking at the SB3000/SB4000 but my wife finds them hideous to look at and at the same price point I'm sure the Rel S/812 will surely outperform the MA Gold W12 5G subwoofer

Thanks but I think the look of it is again a bit too funky, I'm surprised she thought the Rel was ok even with those bars on the sides 🤣

Thanks but I think the look of it is again a bit too funky, I'm surprised she thought the Rel was ok even with those bars on the sides 🤣

Tell her she can spend the money saved buying the Paradigm on herself, see if she changes her tune :rotfl:

Have a look at the Arendal 1723 Sub 2.

Does anyone on the forum have one of these or has had the chance to audition this? considering this heavily for my new 5.1.4 set up alongside MA Gold Series speakers.

If you do have this or have heard this can you let me know your thoughts?

I was also looking at the SB3000/SB4000 but my wife finds them hideous to look at and at the same price point I'm sure the Rel S/812 will surely outperform the MA Gold W12 5G subwoofer

I have tried both + the REL S510. I ended up with an SVS SB3000.

The REL seemed just too obtrusive to me. It seemed to mask a lot of detail. It also didn‘t go down that low in my room.

Although it put out a fair amount of “bass” it wasn‘t of the particularly grippy or tight variety. The high level inputs just seemed a waste of time to me and the controls on the back are a pain as you never know exactly what they are set at. You can’t easily reproduce a setting If you need to accurately optimise using REW. I also hated the look with the shiny handles and silver cone.

The SVS SB3000 gives a totally different presentation - extremely tight and goes very low. It stops on a dime. The app is fantastic as well as you can set everything exactly from your seat. You can tweak the PEQ and set the phase exactly to the degree. The REL just has a switch to set it at 0 or 180.

The SVS gives me such a flat response down to about 13hz in my room that it took some getting used to after the RELs and other subs which produced large peaks that had to be tamed by Dirac. We get used to overblown bass and it’s not until you hear something a lot more even that you realise it’s advantages.

However I guess some may associate the type of bass that the REL produces as more musical and consider the bass the SVS produces as a bit too dry and neutral.

As the SVS was also far cheaper than the S812 it was a no brainer for me.

The little SB3000 is the bargain of the year in my view.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Thanks Lexicon, I had a bad feeling you were going to day that 🤣

When you say the Rel didn't go down too low I assume you're referring to the sub bass? under 30hz range? Interesting as in the official review by Steve he thought the Rel dug a bit deeper than the SVS? I guess room also come into play.

Agreed the SVS certainly seems like its straight out of the bargain basement at these prices If I had space I could have even bought two for the price of one, out of interest did you consider or even listen to the SB4000?

I really wish I could demo but it's obviously not good timing and need to get this stuff soon to stave off utter boredom at home!

Last edited:
Yes the SVS went about 10hz lower in my room - the best I have ever achieved.

I looked at the 4000 yes, but it’s way more expensive, a lot larger and doesn’t have the more modern voicecoil that’s in the SB3000 and now the SB2000 pro. I’ll probably buy another 3000 to even out the bass in my room once my new processor arrives with the Dirac Live Bass Management module but wouldn’t attempt to integrate two subs without it.

If you want to try either or both at home with zero obligation give Nick a call @The Sound Counsel as he’ll almost definitely oblige! Best option is always to try them in your own room with your own gear and decide for yourself :)

Thanks Again Lexicon some good insight there. I mean I guess it is £450 more but I'm willing to spend that if it's significantly better, the main drawback is the size of thing.

Anyone else have experience with SVS SB3000/SB4000 vs the Rel S/812? The PEQ has also tweaked my interest now.

Have you considered the REL HT/1508 predator?

Have you considered the REL HT/1508 predator?

I didnt and this is due to the size and look of it. Though I've heard that the S/812 delivers a more musical bass note whilst also delivering deep bass for movies that can match the Predator range?

I didnt and this is due to the size and look of it. Though I've heard that the S/812 delivers a more musical bass note whilst also delivering deep bass for movies that can match the Predator range?

Yes ok. I would concur, the S/812 would be better for music but the HT better for films.

Also, where I think the SVS would beat the S/812 for movies, I would have to question if it could compete for music, that's where the REL would shine.

you might want to put a JL Audio Esub 12 or Fathom F110 V2 on your list

what sort of budget are you looking at spending as they must be something out their for you

Allan

Audiovisual did have a few refurbished 3000/4000

you might want to put a JL Audio Esub 12 or Fathom F110 V2 on your list

what sort of budget are you looking at spending as they must be something out their for you

Allan

Budget wise about £2000

When I went to the Bristol show I was told the Sub 12 is better than the Fathom F110 for deep base output.

From a discussion on the AVS forums I believe the SB13 Ultra was compared to the E112 and the SVS was deemed to have more output especially at lower octaves

Budget wise about £2000

When I went to the Bristol show I was told the Sub 12 is better than the Fathom F110 for deep base output.

From a discussion on the AVS forums I believe the SB13 Ultra was compared to the E112 and the SVS was deemed to have more output especially at lower octaves

its possible the Esub 12 is better than the Fathom f110 for deep bass output, personally i'd say the opposite tbh. I'd also add that the Fathom has cleaner bass with the ability to hold the lower extension longer so you hear the actual note longer.

I've not heard the SB13 at length to be able to offer a comparison but its not all about output, cleaner tighter bass is what i'd say is preferential to me, also i have customers who have upgraded from SVS to JL with no regrets. Also the JL's footprint, if size could be an issue, is much smaller.

good luck with your purchase whatever you decide

Allan

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom