Question Rel T5s....Should they stay or should they go?!

benzi

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

My current 5.2 setup for my lounge/cinema room (4.8m x 4.8m x 3.0m ceiling height) is as follows:
  • M&K Sound MP950 L/C/R
  • M&K Sound M40T as rears
  • 2 x Rel T5 setup as stereo pair with Neutrik and LFE cables simultaneously. I listen to music in "Pure Direct" thus like the Neutrik connection to supplement music
  • Yamaha RX-A 3070
I've been tinkering with the Rel T5s for while - I had three at one point in a Rel 3D setup but I preferred the stereo setup for music, thus sold one of the T5s.

My main use is now very much movies (75% movies/25% music) thus I was looking at adding a bigger sub(s) to the room to improve the bass for movies. Initial thoughts were to add a HT1205/HT1508 to supplement the Rel T5s but reading through numerous threads on here...I'm now stuck.

Should I keep the Rel T5s and add a bigger sub to the setup?
Should I replace the Rels with something more HT orientated?
Given the size of the room, would I be ok with one sub? I know the Rel T5s are little and sound much better as a pair.

Options considered:
  • Rel HT1205 or HT1508
  • M&K Sound V12
  • SVS SB2000 / SVS SB3000
I've seen a number of people promote BKs, Arendal, XTZ, Monoprice etc which look good value but I've never heard them. I'd prefer sealed purely down to size but I'm opened minded.

From a bass management point of view, initially I'm going to use the Yamaha but I'm considering adding a Lyngdorf 1120 to my system...2.2 setup for music and use it in HT theatre mode when watching movies...

Any help/advice would be appreciated .

Kind regards,

Benzi

@Gasp3621 From reading through a number of threads - you are the one in the know!! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

@Gasp3621 From reading through a number of threads - you are the one in the know!! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Nice you made new thread! One member swapped HT1205 to V12 and was bit disappointed, they performed same but the V12 sounded slightly better with MK speakers. Not worth the price jump clearly. And you said in other thread that you want stronger low end so perhaps Arendal 1961 1S (x2) or if you are looking one larger sub then SVS SB4000 or little bit less PSA S1512 if the finish is acceptable.

At the 1800£ mark you would also have the sealed Arendal 1723 2S flagship sealed model.

REL HT1508 costs 1600£ so not sure what is your maximum budget.

Can you download REW program and put your room dimensions to Room Simulator and your MLP. You can then see what kind of response you get with 1 or 2 subs in the locations which are possible. You can also see how the response changes if you move MLP.

Thanks @Gasp3621. I was reading the Monoprice thread and the £650 one... subject to size, would the 2 x 12 inch Monoprice or 2 x 10 inch do the trick? Can't really argue with the price at present.

Would the ported subs be ok positioned in the back corners of the room? Might be able to get away with ported if they would be OK in the back corners....

Thanks @Gasp3621. I was reading the Monoprice thread and the £650 one... subject to size, would the 2 x 12 inch Monoprice or 2 x 10 inch do the trick? Can't really argue with the price at present.

Would the ported subs be ok positioned in the back corners of the room? Might be able to get away with ported if they would be OK in the back corners....

Where do you sit exactly? Probably middle width wise, but how much from rear wall? Either way it looks quite bad with two subs at rear.

subs rear.png

Compare that to subs at front corners with the listener still 0,5meter away from rear wall. Tell me where you sit exactly? Take tape measure where your head would be.

subs at front.png

MLP is in bay window area, my head would be 30cm away from back wall... I was just playing with REW room sim.

Looking at dimensions of 12 inch....I'd struggle to get the Front Left in that position as that little bit of wall by door is 50cm wide. Door would hit the sub if ports were facing MLP. Would it be ok turning the subs so ports were perpendicular to MLP?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-25 at 22.33.47.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-25 at 22.33.47.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 59
MLP is in bay window area, my head would be 30cm away from back wall... I was just playing with REW room sim.

Looking at dimensions of 12 inch....I'd struggle to get the Front Left in that position as that little bit of wall by door is 50cm wide. Door would hit the sub if ports were facing MLP. Would it be ok turning the subs so ports were perpendicular to MLP?

So the drivers and ports would be facing main speakers and basically against each other. Then the cables would be seen also. Can you live with the odd looks then. I`m not sure i would want to.

Cables would annoy me...and the wife! I could move the subs a little more central (either side of my UST projector). That could work or could just go for one 12 inch in right corner.
Screenshot 2020-10-25 at 23.08.17.png

Cables would annoy me...and the wife! I could move the subs a little more central (either side of my UST projector). That could work or could just go for one 12 inch in right corner.View attachment 1388758

Yep why not bringing them closer as it doesn´t change much. Here is few pictures, they are not small. :)
Which ever forum i read about these from owners they are over the moon. Great products as already supported by objective measurements aswell.

Last edited:
Hi @Gasp3621, thanks for the help....unfortunately the size of the Monoprice 12" THX was instantly dismissed by the wife.....I'm going to have a re-think...might revert back to sealed options. Cheers, Benzi

Hi @Gasp3621, thanks for the help....unfortunately the size of the Monoprice 12" THX was instantly dismissed by the wife.....I'm going to have a re-think...might revert back to sealed options. Cheers, Benzi

They are sold out now! No wonder as competitors costs 1-1,4k£ and it was under 500£! There is still 10" models available if the size and finish is ok? :)

@benzi if you lean toward sealed woofers then two Arendal 1961 1S should be considered! The depth is 41,5cm so it would fit in left corner too. It has side firing driver so the 2nd sub would need to be slightly out from wall (10cm). But they are rather narrow (31,5cm) so shouldn´t be issue. 723£/each is low compared to SB2000 Pro´s price!

@Jenz bought two of them some time ago with MK LCR750 speakers and loves em! :)

@Gasp3621 thanks for your advice, just wanted to update where I got with this. After using some Amazon boxes to reflect the size of the Arendal subs, wife denied option for two new subs. After a few demos (Rel HT, MK V12, SVS SB2000) using LFE only, I very much preferred the high level connection for music (using Pure Direct). I started looking at bigger BKs and Rels again...I was looking at the S/510 and S/812 but got a Rel Carbon Special for £50 more than the S/812. Not as good value as BK but wife friendly finish!! It is awesome!
20201214_200731.jpg

Nice! 2150£ i assume was the price looking S/812. And Carbon costs normally 3300£ so good deal then. 12" + 12" 1000w in not so small cab. Quite an upgrade from T5! Not a cheap one, but if it ticks all the boxes then you are set. Would be nice to see how it actually measures in your room..

:( £2350....£50 above the pre-sale price... Very much a significant upgrade to the T5!!! Hindsight S/510 would have been sufficient for my room...but I know I would be looking at upgrading again in a year or two. This should hold off upgraditis...well thats what I've told my wife.;)

I need to get a Umik and get REW setup properly. Maybe a task over Christmas.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom