Relocating Main Services (Gas, Elec, Water, Phone/BB)

xar

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Wasn't sure where to ask this as not strictly home cinema building related, but as part of a more general house extension my wife is keen to put a door where the current services run into the house to give access to a new bedroom (they run up the drive to the side of the house, then into a unit in the hallway).

Assuming they were to move no more than 20-30ft from the current position, but within the new extension somewhere (i.e. not into the house proper), does anyone have a clue as to how much / complicated this is likely to be? I know BT charge circa £250 to fit a new set of boxes, but no clue on the others.

Any experiences or ideas welcomed. I have googled it but most of what i am finding relates to moving the meter '90cms' and such, not moving the actual mains pipes.

Cheers

Last edited:
Can't recall the per metre cost for the electrics but the distribution network operator quoted for free. A lot cheaper if you get the builder to do the trenching.

Thanks. Good to know. Plan A is talk the missus out of having to move them at all, but not hopeful at this point...

If you are looking at moving all your services before the meter (ie between meter and road), you are in for a world of pain. Sorry to be a downer, but I looked at this and to extend our main electrical cable by ‘900mm’ through existing ducting we were quoted £1200.00 and this was 5 years ago. Some may be cheaper, but the other issue is timeframes, they are notoriously difficult to pin down, and long service connection waits are commonplace....

This is good news of a sort, as I am trying to convince the other half it will be a nightmare / expensive. Can’t see how it wouldn’t be a huge issue as even getting BT to install FTTP was a 3 month effort with multiple cancellations. Adding water, gas, and electricity at the same time would be hellish...!!!

I moved my Gas bottle. it was £460~ with a 25% rebate if it turned out to be a quick job, mine was and got the refund.

Thanks. Good to know.

I’ve read differing experiences, specifically for moving electrical supplies. Dependant on the DNO (distribution network operator), some only charge a nominal amount, others charge thousands. You can obtain a quote from them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom