Replace Arcam AVR280 with Yamaha Aventage 680?

Fitz1985

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I currently have an Arcam AVR280 paired with the following speakers in a 4.1 setup

front: KEF K160 floorstand
rear: Kef Eggs
Sub: Tannoy MS10

As its an older model it doesn't do DTS-MA, etc.

As I have a small living room I'm not looking to add extra speakers, save for maybe a centre if I wall mount the TV at some point. I can currently get DTS / DD via an ARC splitter from the TV for Netflix etc. and via Hifiberry on the raspberry Pi that is my Plex client. I don't have any other inputs and am not likely to get any more.

Swapping to the Yamaha would allow me to run everything with a couple of HDMI cables. I'd probably get the high end Roku or something so I'd have support for the higher definition sources from streaming / plex as my TV doesn't have eARC.

Am I likely to see a noticable sound quality improvement? Obviously the Arcam is pretty good but am I missing out on the new formats or do I need the space for extra speakers to benefit? Or is there a particular weak point in the setup I should replace first? I keep toying with replacing the Sub with a BK Gemini or Rel Tzero.

The Yamaha is relatively to the budget end of the Yamaha range as it's a £500 receiver even at RRP. The Arcam would have been much higher end in its day, probably closer to double the price. I've owned an older AVR200 and while it could only do the older compressed surround formats it still sounded bloody lovely doing them. I'd be very surprised if a lower end Yamaha beat the Arcam.

I'd say if you do decide to go ahead make sure you've had a good listen to the Yamaha to avoid disappointment.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom