Replacement for c200

WeegyAVLover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for some advice on what replacement options are out there for a PCH c200.

I am totally out of the loop on all things streaming and not sure what is what.

I am looking for something that is smaller, more compact and thinner if possible but the capabilities of streaming Blu-Ray/HD and 4K movies (I do not have a 4K TV yet but plan on getting one in the not too distant future).

On top of this, I have a Synology 5-bay NAS box and it has Plex in the software bundle. I have absolutely no idea how this work and how easy it is to setup and use, however I have investigated this in the past and always found it confusing to get working with my setup and not sure if I need anything else to make this work.

If I was able to stream using this Plex technology would I still be able to have a similar GUI front end to the Plex movies/tv series that I have now with the PCH Jukebox?

I am considering asking for something for Christmas but not sure what to ask for and how easy/simple it would be to setup and use.

All my movies and tv shows are in MKV format, not sure if this makes a difference.

Best box is probably the Nvidia shield. With the new 2019 shield out, I would expect some black friday deals for the 2017 version.

The Plex on the nas would be the server, where all of your movies are stored. You would need a plex client, either on a tv, or a separate device to play back on the tv.

The shield can also be used as a server, & you can get the client for it.

Playback of hi bit rates would be better on a wired network, I use homeplugs.

IF, the movie is not completely compatible with plex it would try to transcode, if you have a VERY powerful server, this would be no problem. You might find the synology has a more powerful plex server than the shield.

You can sideload Kodi on the shield to playback movies from the nas.

I am resurrecting this thread....

i ended up sticking with my C200 last year as we had other expenses round Christmas.

anyway my C200 seems to have died on me in the last few weeks. So it is looking like I am in the market for a new bit of kit.

I am thinking about getting the newer Nvidia Shield TV Pro. However I have a few questions & hoping someone on here can help me out.

1) i have a large home movie & TV collection that had a nice YAMJ front end to it - is this sort of jukebox display available on Nvidia?

2) does Nvidia streaming from a NAS oy wirk using Plex?

3) is Nvidia still the best option?

It all depends what you like. I went from PCH c200 to A500 (for 4k), but PCH kinda doesn't have anything new and has disappeared.

I wanted something easy to use, with a simple interface. A movie wall (covers, movie info, etc), with the option to explore files, and not really anything else. At the time (2 years ago), what fit that was a Zappiti. It did look to me like a Dune could have done that too, but I couldn't find one. The Zidoo can do it too but the menu is a bit more crowded.

I wanted the simple interface so when my wife is in front of it, she can use it, and it turns out, she can. She loves it.

That said, the Nvidia might give you more options if you want to be able to use streaming services and such. Something like a Zappiti will only play local content (hdd or network share), much like a C200.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom