Replacement Recommendations for OPPO UDP-203?

JRawe

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have (2) Oppo UDP-203 I am considering selling (one in media room with Sony 4K Projector and one in living room that feeds a Sony 4K 850 TV). I love the units but I can sell both for 900 each. I don't like having units that aren't made anymore (firmware, warranty, repair, etc).

What recommendations do you all have for replacements? I have looked at Sony 1100ES (similar build but manual DV option is a downer) and Panny UB820 (lower build quality but seems to have all the features). I only use the unit for 4K BD, no streaming or SACD etc).

I have (2) Oppo UDP-203 I am considering selling (one in media room with Sony 4K Projector and one in living room that feeds a Sony 4K 850 TV). I love the units but I can sell both for 900 each. I don't like having units that aren't made anymore (firmware, warranty, repair, etc).

What recommendations do you all have for replacements? I have looked at Sony 1100ES (similar build but manual DV option is a downer) and Panny UB820 (lower build quality but seems to have all the features). I only use the unit for 4K BD, no streaming or SACD etc).
UB820 if you want to have a lot of money left over for discs.
UB9000 if you want the same PQ and features as the UB820 in a lot more weighty case

£900 each, seriously?

The closest you're going to get in terms of specs and build quality is the Pioneer LX500, even though you state you don't want or need SACD. It has DV and will be getting a firmware upgrade to HDR10+ this autumn (although it has already been put back from this spring).

Makes HD blu rays shine and has great sound.

There is really no direct, except maybe the Pioneer LX500 as it uses the same mediatek chipset as the OPPO, The OPPO is still overall a better player due to its firmware and feature set with HDMI in and unike file support from network HDD or usb stick.
Panasonic still mess around with poor chipsets and backdoor processing making a more agressive looking image due to the enhancement artifacts, no matter what Panasonic UHD player you chose. They do however deliver the best tonemapping if you need that.

If image quality is the most important for you, and tonemapping analog out and file playback dont matter, the XBOX offers the best playback performance for DVD BD and UHD, best chroma scaling, and streaming quality.

If image quality is the most important for you, and tonemapping analog out and file playback dont matter, the XBOX offers the best playback performance for DVD BD and UHD, best chroma scaling, and streaming quality.

So if I own an Xbox X there is no point in buying another dedicated BD player?

I was under the impression that Xbox is somehow inferior to other dedicated BD players that have a similar retail price.

By the way, may you or someone else can help me with an advice. Is there any BD player beside OPPO that allows you to use a subtitle from an external flesh driver when playing a movie from original disk? I know for sure that OPPO's can do this. Unfortunatly my Xbox can't do this.

never used any subtitle features, never use subtitles.
The Xbox is as it looks better than any dedicated UHD players as it looks today, evaluated on pure image performance, if you look at how the original disc content is presented on screen, it has superior chroma handeling, and upscaling, but it comes short of other features, except maybe streaming wich is absolutely reference.
Dont think it support DV on disc, hower thats not relevant for most people, no analog outputs, only optical and HDMI out, it do have 1 HDMI in wich is a nice feature as well, and its not possible to force it to 422 component out when set to output 1080P

wow, you must speak so many languages than , becouse there is much more than Holywood when it comes to cinematography :D

Your information is incorrect. Oppo are still supporting the Oppo 203 and 205 and have said they will continue to offer firmware updates if and when necessary. They added HDR10+ support in February 2019. Also, they continue to offer repairs/support via the European support centre in Germany.

Most manufacturers stop producing one model and start producing the next on an annual or biennial basis, so I think you're actually in a better place with Oppo, even though they have stopped production.

Regards,
James.

There is really no direct, except maybe the Pioneer LX500 as it uses the same mediatek chipset as the OPPO, The OPPO is still overall a better player due to its firmware and feature set with HDMI in and unike file support from network HDD or usb stick.
Panasonic still mess around with poor chipsets and backdoor processing making a more agressive looking image due to the enhancement artifacts, no matter what Panasonic UHD player you chose. They do however deliver the best tonemapping if you need that.

Is this true -- that the LX500 uses the same MediaTek processor as the Oppo 203 and Cambridge CXUHD?

Can someone confirm this?

I may be getting rid of my CXUHD because of ongoing problems with noisy DVDs (it's been in TWICE for repair for the same problem) and if so will be getting the Pioneer; can anyone confirm if the same MediaTek chip is in the LX500?

I ask because I had no issues with the CXUHD's DVD and Blu-ray upscaling performance via the MediaTek chip...

And is it true that Panasonic's players are using "poor chipsets" and backdoor processing regardless of model? I had a UB820 for one evening and films looked really good on it, but I also own a first generation DMP-BD10A Blu-ray player and the DVD scaling is atrocious (which is why we replaced it with an Oppo BDP-83 at the time).

Is this true -- that the LX500 uses the same MediaTek processor as the Oppo 203 and Cambridge CXUHD?

Can someone confirm this?

I may be getting rid of my CXUHD because of ongoing problems with noisy DVDs (it's been in TWICE for repair for the same problem) and if so will be getting the Pioneer; can anyone confirm if the same MediaTek chip is in the LX500?

I ask because I had no issues with the CXUHD's DVD and Blu-ray upscaling performance via the MediaTek chip...

And is it true that Panasonic's players are using "poor chipsets" and backdoor processing regardless of model? I had a UB820 for one evening and films looked really good on it, but I also own a first generation DMP-BD10A Blu-ray player and the DVD scaling is atrocious (which is why we replaced it with an Oppo BDP-83 at the time).
Why dont you go to a local Pioneer dealer and borow a LX500 for a weekend? People have different needs, and non of the UHD players have the same features, so its more a question of what you need it to do.

Why dont you go to a local Pioneer dealer and borow a LX500 for a weekend? People have different needs, and non of the UHD players have the same features, so its more a question of what you need it to do.
First of all, they do not lend A/V gear out to borrow here in the States -- at all.

Secondly, I was merely asking if it's true that the Pioneer USES the same MediaTek processor as the Oppo/Cambridge; that's all. It's really a yes or no question.

From my research done since posting this, it appears that it is the same processor, though oddly, Pioneer doesn't really advertise it like Oppo and Cambridge did.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom