Question Replacing my Panasonic OLED for an QLED because of bright living room?

asoksevil

Hi all,

I've been wondering if I should consider replacing my current Panasonic 65" FZ802 because my living room is quite bright? (please see attached image for the floor plan)

Captura de pantalla 2020-08-01 a las 14.53.48.png

We get a lot of sun light throughout the day since we are south facing, it gets bad when its around 4-5pm onward as sun gets through and points directly to the TV so I need to close the blinds. During other times it is okay, but I wonder if I could get it brighter because of the reflections. As of now, if it is completely off, it almost acts like a "black mirror".

My questions:

1. Will a QLED make a substantial difference during daytime? I read that for bright rooms, QLED is best (but how much "better, brighter"? Nighttime is absolutely fabulous with the Panasonic. I am also conscious that many people say true black cannot be obtained unless it is a dark room (no sunlight coming through) Is this true? I feel my blacks are still very black but not like mat black.
2. What model in the 65 or even 75 will it be recommended if it isn't Samsung? Since we on the OLED side have LG, Panasonic, Sony, Phillips, etc.

Many thanks!

Dave Upside

Novice Member
Hi all,

I've been wondering if I should consider replacing my current Panasonic 65" FZ802 because my living room is quite bright? (please see attached image for the floor plan)

View attachment 1343476

We get a lot of sun light throughout the day since we are south facing, it gets bad when its around 4-5pm onward as sun gets through and points directly to the TV so I need to close the blinds. During other times it is okay, but I wonder if I could get it brighter because of the reflections. As of now, if it is completely off, it almost acts like a "black mirror".

My questions:

1. Will a QLED make a substantial difference during daytime? I read that for bright rooms, QLED is best (but how much "better, brighter"? Nighttime is absolutely fabulous with the Panasonic. I am also conscious that many people say true black cannot be obtained unless it is a dark room (no sunlight coming through) Is this true? I feel my blacks are still very black but not like mat black.
2. What model in the 65 or even 75 will it be recommended if it isn't Samsung? Since we on the OLED side have LG, Panasonic, Sony, Phillips, etc.

Many thanks!
Hi, My experience is with last year's Samsung qe55q85r. We have a similar problem in our lounge. This TV has made a noticable improvement to our previous Sony. It has an anti-reflective layer in the screen that helps although not perfect. Also the screen certainly goes very bright which helps when the sun is causing problems however I have some problems with this. I can have it set so the picture adjusts automatically with the brightness of the room, however this isn't always how I would have it set up and so I feel like I'm fiddling with settings a lot. Also when the screen is brighter it suffers from a certain amount of haloing (mainly noticed with subtitles).

Having said that I find the picture quality is fantastic and almost as good as oled. Even if the blacks aren't quite as black it's hard to tell most of the time.

This is just my experience and I would have gone for a Panasonic oled if not for this very issue. I'm happy I chose qled but I've not had an oled in the room to compare the difference.

As for what model qled, I think you'd have to look at the Samsungs with the full array backlighting which I think start at the q80t and up. I don't think there's much else worth considering with the qleds.

Good luck deciding what to do 😉

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
I have my pana in a similar situation even if I am lucky....have a small recess which avoids direct sunlight too much
However, I will never change my Oled for anything...
I was looking for a qled option for my parents alongside Sony lcd. Don’t know what’s going on but my eyes adapted to oled and I can see an lcd from a mile now...
My advice is explore all light control options. There are several options which can attenuate the light direction and also cover the tv only...as opposed to blinding the whole room..

So that’s it from me. Keep your tv and see what options available out there...

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Netflix in October 2020. Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom