Report: Panasonic's 2018 LCDs at European Convention

Once hdr becomes mainstream ie broadcast then you could argue the VT would be dated. But honestly, it’s hard to beat it for regular 1080i tv and Blu-ray.

Oh I completely agree. I was just explaining why nits are an important consideration for TV's releasing now, especially if you watch a lot of HDR content/play HDR games.

It might be the case that Panasonic are using the same LG SOC and T-CON as the Nano Cell's currently, with their renowned picture processing bolted on top.
The TCON always comes from the panel maker (except in rare cases where It's outsourced due to cost or panel maker limitations, in budget TVs). In a very simplistic way to explain it, it's an intrinsic part of the panel, it interprets the video signal from the processor for the panel to display video.

Panasonic usually just buy their picture processing in from a SOC manufacturer for every model apart from the FX750, the HCX processor and just "tune" the off the shelf SOC to their liking, much like every budget manufacturer (eg Hisense).

Depends on the tv to be honest in question, even some IPS low end tv's from LG currently have bad viewing angles, not much better than VA, even though IPS is supposed to be superior in this regard.
The IPS with bad viewing angles usually have horizontal pixels (cost cutting measure only really seen in very low end TVs).

The IPS with bad viewing angles usually have horizontal pixels (cost cutting measure only really seen in very low end TVs).

I did notice this when testing out a 55" UJ750v, which is on offer at the moment here in Finland for 699€ against a 55" UJ635v, which is also priced the same, both had very poor viewing angles for an IPS tv.

It will be intriguing to see how these Nano Cell IPS panels work out on these models.

The TCON always comes from the panel maker (except in rare cases where It's outsourced due to cost or panel maker limitations, in budget TVs). In a very simplistic way to explain it, it's an intrinsic part of the panel, it interprets the video signal from the processor for the panel to display video.

Panasonic usually just buy their picture processing in from a SOC manufacturer for every model apart from the FX750, the HCX processor and just "tune" the off the shelf SOC to their liking, much like every budget manufacturer (eg Hisense).

Thanks for the reply, it's nice to be able to understand this in more detail as I've done a lot of research from various sources.

Panasonic all about making money. You buy 2017 model, later comes 2018 models with hdr+ suppport and they say better off buying new tv if you want it. Maybe only 2017 oleds will get it...

Panasonic seems to be more open and insightful about product strategy as well as features rationalisation in these interviews compared to another well known Japanese Manufacturer. Ask them a question and they give you an answer.

Panasonic seems to be more open and insightful about product strategy as well as features rationalisation in these interviews compared to another well known Japanese Manufacturer. Ask them a question and they give you an answer.
But tv purchase is unlike mobile phones which you replace in 2 years. If you buy tv for 5-10 years and less than a year after your purchase they stop supporting, it looks strange.

Panasonic all about making money. You buy 2017 model, later comes 2018 models with hdr+ suppport and they say better off buying new tv if you want it. Maybe only 2017 oleds will get it...
I've always assumed that any company is about making money, isn't it? They're not charities, if the TV division doesn't make money then Panasonic will stop making TVs!

Panasonic are a great Company in so many ways.

Why Steve did you travel Easy Jet, a man of your Caliber (Calibration) should be put in First Class.

Good stuff.

Wouldn't touch Panasonic after owning 2 brand new faulty Tv's , same problem with both

I have a 5.5 year old Panny 47DT50 which I think has fab PQ, no problems ever. I plan to replace it in time for the Fifa World Cup by mid June with a new 2018 49" LCD. Decisions, decisions, ..........possibly the FX750 or maybe the FALD Sony XF9005 or perhaps the LG SK8500 or even the yet unspecified Samsung equivalent!. I watch a lot of football & films, drama etc via Virgin Media's 4K box as well as Netflix via the Panny Ap but no gaming. I love the design of the new Panny but will the forth-coming reviews of the FX750 convince me to stay loyal to Panasonic or will the competition win out?. We shall see.

STEVE, PHIL, which brand do you anticipate will claim my ££££s (courtesy of a soon to be recieved legacy), as cost will not be an issue. Also do you think any of them should be sent to Room 101 for starters?

PS - Viewing angle consideration is not relevant to me.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom