Resident Evil 3 remake (3 April 2020)

Think I'll wait and see if theres a patch in the near future to steady the X version out and grab it when it drops in price.

Think I'll wait and see if theres a patch in the near future to steady the X version out and grab it when it drops in price.

Going to do the same, no point running the experience, honestly can’t believe Capcom let the Xbox version ship in this shape.

Reviews arent exactly singing the praises for the game without the technical issues so maybe this remake is a bit of a dud from the get go.

That said im committed to the franchise no matter what, add to that im stuck in the house due to lock down, the game could be running at 30fps and I'd still be playing day one.

Its a case of needs must for me 😃

I think its the stuff thats been cut out from the original has affected the review scores. no choice options now and and as such no alternate endings. a bunch of locations from the original are missing in the remake. leaves the single player play through time at about 6 hours

Why are people bitching about the run time?
My average play time for RE2 remake is around 6 hours, not sprinting everywhere and generally taking my time.
I think even my first play through was under 8 hours on standard difficulty.
6 hours is about average for an RE title. At least for the OG games, which this is based on.
It's only the later titles which became longer.

My copy has been dispatched from Amazon, so hopefully it'll have dropped through my letterbox by the time I finish work at 14:30 tomorrow.
If I wasn't now working Saturday I'd have been up all night with it.

I think because if they hadnt cut content from the original then it would have been longer and more resident evil is a good thing. plus the choice options and multiple endings would have given it more replayability like the original had

Good so far, had some real difficulty in one particlar place so if you play this im sure you'll know where i mean, it wasn't Nemesis either !! Its not that far into the game.

Ive been taking my time, I like to learn routes with RE games then playthrough multiple times to get the best rank, so plenty of replay value for me.

I think because if they hadnt cut content from the original then it would have been longer and more resident evil is a good thing. plus the choice options and multiple endings would have given it more replayability like the original had

The thing is, Capcom announced that there would be none of the live choices or multiple endings when the game was officially revealed.

I'm a couple of hours in myself and so far I've got nothing negative to say.
I'll leave my full impressions later, as I'm off to work in a few minutes.

Played a couple of hours last night - very good so far. Love the film posters on the walls - very amusing!

The thing is, Capcom announced that there would be none of the live choices or multiple endings when the game was officially revealed.

I'm a couple of hours in myself and so far I've got nothing negative to say.
I'll leave my full impressions later, as I'm off to work in a few minutes.
yes the made everyone aware donesnt mean they made the right decision. Ive always thought of these remakes as the definite best experience of the original game, with changes and cut content i cant but help feel the remakes not what it could have and maybe should have been

Running at 1440p HDR on my LG 55" OLED at 120hz rather than 4K (60hz limit with GPU/HDMI).

Looks and plays great on my gaming PC with xbox controller.

I've just finished it. Total play time was 5 hours 17 minutes.
My thoughts.
Overall a really good remake. Just as good as RE2, but not without its flaws, which I will get into when I hit spoilers.
The parts they left out were more than made up for with new areas, and the removal of the live choices and multiple endings did nothing to lessen the experience.
One thing I must add here is that I was/am a huge fan of the original.
RE3 Nemesis was the first game I was hyped for back 2000, and I played the absolute hell out of it, so when I praise this remake, I really do feel that it's done a fantastic job of recreating the feeling of the original while bring it up to date.

I'll have to spoiler tag the rest of this...
I'll start with my complaints.
Mostly it's Nemesis.
Its original form is fine. An updated version of the original. No issue there.
However, it's later in the game when it mutates to stage 2 that I really didn't like the design.
Instead of keeping it humanoid they wen't for an animal, quadruped design and at least doubled its size.
IMO, they could/should have kept the humanoid design, but let the tentacles overgrow and given it new abilities.
This design carries on throughout the rest of the game, and even shows up in an altered version of the waste disposal room fight.
The final battle is super ridicules and reminds me of the over the top set pieces from later RE games.
Even the rail canon seems out of place here and more fitting of the blockbuster set pieces of RE 5 and 6.
Basically, when Nemesis starts to mutate, the game loses a lot of its subtlety and falls apart a bit for me.

Now, the changes they made to different areas, dropping some areas and adding new ones was done really well.
Firstly there's the clocktower.
It doesn't appear in full, but it's the battle ground for fighting the Nemesis stage 2.
Aside from my dislike of the stage 2 design, the battle and its arena were spot on.
If the traditional stage 2 design(basically a more damaged version of the stage one design) had been used, the only changes that would have needed to be made to this version of the clocktower would have been the addition of a few obstacles to make the arena more enclosed.

The next change was the RPD, as you don't visit as Jill, but instead play as Carlos going there for part of a mission with the UBCS, which incidentally is another great addition to the game, adding in more depth to these guys.

The hospital has also been expanded and leads into a new version of the final area, formally the disposal facility, now NEST 2, a second underground lab.
Everything in these two areas feels more involved and has some traditional back tracking.

There are also a couple of additional areas like the underground/sewer sections, the first of which leads to the first real Nemesis boss fight atop an under construction tower.
The second sewer section links events of the subway train to the arrival at the clocktower.
Both of these are well thought out and more than make up for the removal of areas like city hall and the newspaper offices, adding more variation.
They also replace the park area which would have linked the hospital to the disposal facility.
Obviously with the removal of the park comes the removal of the gravedigger giant worm boss battle.
Honestly, I didn't even miss it.
For me, the park was a bit of a dead spot in the original, and the remake has moved some of the story elements revealed there to other parts of the game.

Aside from my issues with and surrounding Nemesis, this is a solid remake well worth your time and money.
I'd give this a 8.5/10.
It would have been a good 9 to 9.5 had it not been for the complaints I mentioned.

Right. I'm off to go through it again as I've unlocked some stuff.

The stage 2 boss fight is one of the best fights from both the remakes imo, really enjoyed it

I just didn’t like the stage 2 design.

Didn't get a chance to really replay yesterday, but I’m going in again now to try and grab as many collectables as I can, and earn some more points for some of the better/infinite weapons.

Hats off to Capcom for releasing a patch so quickly, it’s now 2880x1620 (same as RE2) instead of native 4K but the franerate is improved by 50-70% so sections where it dropped to 35-40fps are now in the 55-60fps territory :)

So glad I waited and will definitely pick it up now.

Literally just was the DF video on it. The drop down to 1620p has very little impact on the quality of the image they say so it’s a win-win. Makes you wonder why they pushed to native 4K in the first place

Literally just was the DF video on it. The drop down to 1620p has very little impact on the quality of the image they say so it’s a win-win. Makes you wonder why they pushed to native 4K in the first place

It was certainly an odd choice, it’s the same engine as RE2 and they knew full well that couldn’t do native 4K without harming the framerate so opted for 1620p to try and maintain 60fps.

Interesting that they have also updated the demo, really trying to remove any trace of the subpar version lol

I'll have to go back a third time at some point, but after my second play through I have a few more thoughts and opinions.
So initially I only really criticised the change to Nemesis' stage 2 form and the final battle.
That still stands.
Further criticism also goes to who much Nemesis was used, especially in stage 1 form.

They really could have added more of the city before meeting Carlos, and given Brad a better death, but at the hands of Nemesis, like in the original.
I would like to have seen an extended sequence between escaping Jills apartment and meeting Carlos.
Maybe something like instead of Brad getting bit, he and Jill escaping the bar but get separated, then Jill heads to the car park, drives the car into Nemesis and off the roof, and instead of Carlos saving her, Brad reappears and drives a truck into Nemesis at the point where Carlos would have stepped in.
Then have Nemesis pull Brad from the car to kill him him, more like the original, leaving Jill to make a run for it.
A couple of streets away, and after more gameplay to get there, Nemesis could then reappear and corner Jill, only to have Carlos turn up with a grenade launcher(as a rocket launcher is traditionally a one hit kill in RE games) and drop Nemesis.
Then it could have carried on as it did.

Nemesis was seriously under used.
I really do get the overall backlash about how you only seem him at scripted points, unlike Mr. X from RE2 remake where he'd turn up at random.
They touted Nemesis as being an evolution of the Mr. X AI, but in truth he's nothing more than a glorified boss encounter throughout the game.

I still love the game, but I feel there have been some major missteps and missed opportunities.
Perhaps this game should have been developed in-house at Capcom and given another year.
I'd rather have seen this as a cross gen or end of generation game rather than have it now and feeling like it's undercooked.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom