Review - Captain America: Civil War Blu-ray

Acceptable is the key word. But once you sit 4 meters from a 142" screen you'll notice room for improvement. I noticed that 7 years ago, and finally the "fixed" it with 4k.

I accept that this improvement is not for everyone, especially those with miniscule screen sizes like 55 icnhes etc.

But if everyone but one studio is on the train, and it's the same studio that's been lagging throughout the years, I reserve my right to write angry posts on an AV forum! :)

They'll get your money though when it comes out in 4k wont they? Or will you shoot yourself in the foot by not buying? I doubt they'll notice.

Sorry not being facetious, just saying that if I were a businessman I'd adopt the same model. They are under no obligation to make films available on a niche platform from day 1, and the choice whether you want to see the film on release is yours.

Sorry for being that back, but I actually am a businessman, and I know that two things count: volume of sales and in what quarter it comes in. They'll get my money, but the wont get it now. That's painful in an american company.

They absolutely have no obligation, but I'm saying no product, no money. It's all I can do...

Acceptable is the key word. But once you sit 4 meters from a 142" screen you'll notice room for improvement. I noticed that 7 years ago, and finally the "fixed" it with 4k.

I accept that this improvement is not for everyone, especially those with miniscule screen sizes like 55 icnhes etc.

But if everyone but one studio is on the train, and it's the same studio that's been lagging throughout the years, I reserve my right to write angry posts on an AV forum! :)

Sorry for being that back, but I actually am a businessman, and I know that two things count: volume of sales and in what quarter it comes in. They'll get my money, but the wont get it now. That's painful in an american company.

They absolutely have no obligation, but I'm saying no product, no money. It's all I can do...

I, with my 'miniscule' 47" screen, am devastated for you at the very idea of having to slum it in mere 1080p for a couple of months. Disney probably laboured under the false impression that someone with your kit list might be able to afford a double-dip if you really couldn't hold out for the 4k release you deserve.

You poor lamb ;).

I, with my 'miniscule' 47" screen, am devastated for you at the very idea of having to slum it in mere 1080p for a couple of months. Disney probably laboured under the false impression that someone with your kit list might be able to afford a double-dip if you really couldn't hold out for the 4k release you deserve.

You poor lamb ;).
Finally some honest sympathy!

Some errors still to be eradicated, though:
1. I'm not "slumming it in 1080p" since I'm not buying.
2. Indeed false impressions, I could of course afford it, but it's a matter of principle!
3. Don't we all deserve the 4k release???

Finally some honest sympathy!

Some errors still to be eradicated, though:
1. I'm not "slumming it in 1080p" since I'm not buying.
2. Indeed false impressions, I could of course afford it, but it's a matter of principle!
3. Don't we all deserve the 4k release???

What 'principle'? That companies should prioritise their most affluent customer base?

I don't even have 4k. I can't afford 4k. I have a blu ray collection, and this is a bluray thread.

Again, you are talking like you are owed something. Disney offer a product and you have a choice whether to buy or not. You don't get to moan about what's not available and then expect sympathy.

What 'principle'? That companies should prioritise their most affluent customer base?

I don't even have 4k. I can't afford 4k. I have a blu ray collection, and this is a bluray thread.

Again, you are talking like you are owed something. Disney offer a product and you have a choice whether to buy or not. You don't get to moan about what's not available and then expect sympathy.
What are you still waiting for on Blu-ray Disc?
im not greedy:
Finding Nemo
Tarzan
Blade II
The Abyss
Raiders of the Lost Ark
:laugh:
OK slightly different but you can see where hes coming from.
I'm not affluent probably not as much as you although have a 4k tv, but nor do I have an ATMOS or a 4k player but with an eye on the future holding back on some films hoping to get a 4k disc with a standard blu.

A better business man will get 95% of the available sales in the current quarter with the Blu-ray, then release it on 4K in a different quarter, & get the sales from the 5% 'hold outs' as well as an additional 30% of sales from the double dippers who already bought the Blu-ray release in a previous quarter.

As a business man, surely you agree that's not painful but blissful for Disney.

A better business man will get 95% of the available sales in the current quarter with the Blu-ray, then release it on 4K in a different quarter, & get the sales from the 5% 'hold outs' as well as an additional 30% of sales from the double dippers who already bought the Blu-ray release in a previous quarter.

I would analyse the declining disc sales, and start making certain I maximize my potential revenue short term and long term before the fad of internet totally takes over, and my margin would plummet. In this case I would take actions that would endear my company to the early adopters, instead of alienate them.

That's the thing with these business men. Economy is not really a science as much as it is an art, and different stings strung will play differently.

I'm saying that Disney has been very "out of tune" historically. Google "DivX". If you have to, you weren't there at the time. If you do not need to Google it, you see what I mean. This experience was painful enough for me to bring it up on a board ages later. Nothing Blissful here. I believe that happy customer have a higher propensity to return.

In the end, to each his own. All I'm saying is that I feel a bit forced to vote with my wallet, when I just want to watch film. And I'm sadder for it.

It goes on all the time with different things, directors cuts after everybody gone and bought the cinema version. Bring out a better steelbook and get more sales from the die hard collectors.
It could be called sharp practice, but if you can get away with it its good business sense.

It goes on all the time with different things, directors cuts after everybody gone and bought the cinema version. Bring out a better steelbook and get more sales from the die hard collectors.
It could be called sharp practice, but if you can get away with it its good business sense.
It's even already started on 4K discs within the space of 6 months after the launch of the format (The Martian UHD)!

It's even already started on 4K discs within the space of 6 months after the launch of the format (The Martian UHD)!
Sorry mate im not with you there do you mean The Martian been out on UHD and now a UHD Extended as below.
TM.jpg
?

Watched both Civil War and Batman v Superman (Ultimate Edition) yesterday. Both brilliant films in their own style but it's amazing how completely different they are. I would add though that there is still that fresh feeling with the DCEU as it is still in it's infancy compared to Marvel's offerings that feel more episodic now.

Watched both Civil War and Batman v Superman (Ultimate Edition) yesterday. Both brilliant films in their own style but it's amazing how completely different they are. I would add though that there is still that fresh feeling with the DCEU as it is still in it's infancy compared to Marvel's offerings that feel more episodic now.

I do like how different the DC and MCU offerings feel although DC still as yet ( latest films ) are still searching for the right mix for their films. I actually preferred BvS (UC) over CW mainly because the MCU is now becoming rather episodic for me, that said BvS was somewhat of a trailer fo The Justice League.

Will still watch both and enjoy them again.

I would analyse the declining disc sales, and start making certain I maximize my potential revenue short term and long term before the fad of internet totally takes over, and my margin would plummet. In this case I would take actions that would endear my company to the early adopters, instead of alienate them.

Nope.
Knowing people double dip wins for a companies profit every time.
You would not make a good businesses man.
but...each to their own.

Or they can just wait whist many go digital , ( maximising profits) waiting for something that at this point I'm not sure will come. :( shit bags .

Or they can just wait whist many go digital , ( maximising profits) waiting for something that at this point I'm not sure will come. :( sh*t bags .
I wont be going digital. Bet its not just me!

I wont be going digital. Bet its not just me!

Most of us will not on an A V centric forum . The rest will go DVD or streaming . I like that minority feel :D.

You would not make a good businesses man.
but...each to their own.
Irony is I already am a good business man. Guess it could be because I create value for my customers and are perceived as likable, not skimming them for a quick dollar!

Irony is I already am a good business man. Guess it could be because I create value for my customers and are perceived as likable, not skimming them for a quick dollar!
Do you have shareholders that you have to answer to?
Disney doesn't need to be likeable- it just needs to maximise the money it can make for it's shareholders.

A 'quick' dollar? As opposed to a slow one?
Quick Dollar or fast buck meaning money made easily or quickly and some times unscrupulously.
I don't think Peake was doing that, hes giving what they want up front not drip feeding them and selling them almost the same product twice.

Quick Dollar or fast buck meaning money made easily or quickly and some times unscrupulously.
I don't think Peake was doing that, hes giving what they want up front not drip feeding them and selling them almost the same product twice.

I know, I'm being a bit facetious again. His implication is that the company has found an extra way to 'fleece' people, when in fact they are simply adopting a release strategy that will maximise their sales (which I don't think is unreasonable in business).

I remember Lucasfilm/Fox did the same by releasing The Phantom Menace on VHS but not on DVD in 2000, when the newer format was already established. Did I buy it on both formats? Yep :D.

I know, I'm being a bit facetious again. His implication is that the company has found an extra way to 'fleece' people, when in fact they are simply adopting a release strategy that will maximise their sales (which I don't think is unreasonable in business).

I remember Lucasfilm/Fox did the same by releasing The Phantom Menace on VHS but not on DVD in 2000, when the newer format was already established. Did I buy it on both formats? Yep :D.
Its good business practice for making money drip feeding extras, but not good for customers. As they say you can fool some of the people all of the time, and all some of the time, and the impatient you don't need to fool them:laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom