Review - Captain America: Civil War Blu-ray

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Great review
So imax sequences only 1.78 in 3d version?

That's how I read it. Hope so, as I have the 2D version (not a big 3D fan) and films that switch aspect ratio (e.g. Interstellar, Dark Knight 2) irritate me. The only time I've liked it was Hunger Games 2 where the Imax sequences were in the arena the wide ones outside it (mostly) so it made some kind of artistic sense.

Great review

Thanks, yes it's only on the airport scene, just over a quarter of an hour I believe of pure 3D IMAX insanity.

Great review
Yes I can confirm it is only on the 3D disc.
Although I never bothered to do it as I played mine in 3D someone on the forum did a review and said they switched the 3D disc into 2D mode.
My mate watched in 3D on my TV and said it was miles better than anything he seen at the pictures.

EDIT thought I be the first to reply I just come back from getting the disc out and swiching the TV and player on to double check as said above watched in 3D.

I wont cut and paste my first thoughts on the film which is >here< post 151.

Similar to Cas the Airport scene is a cracker and ups the team vs team action even though flits from some members fighting others it does stay with them till that part of the fight over.
The Civil War story is taken from the comics which starts with a younger group of heroes (not the Avengers) resulting in the loss of lives. But in it team Captain America and team Iron Man. In the film the cleverly switch it to the Avengers fault.

I may have given the film 10/10 in my review but the first set scene editing is not of the standard of the Airport scene there a bit to take in and like to watch a story unfold rather than have to piece it altogether in split seconds, but it did get a 9/10 just like Cas.
This year for me this is the film that sets the bar for others to beat, how there going to top this I no idea I don't know if they can equal it.

I may have given the film 10/10 in my review but the first set scene editing is not of the standard of the Airport scene there a bit to take in and like to watch a story unfold rather than have to piece it altogether in split seconds, but it did get a 9/10 just like Cas.

Yeah, some of the editing of early scenes comes across as clumsy attempts to obfuscate key pieces of information relating to the hidden backstory that is revealed later on.

It did leave me feeling more frustrated than (what was probably intended) intrigued. Fortunately once they get past that the film opens up and has some fun.

The airport showdown is epic. Am glad that they IMAX'd the 3D version of that scene.

Was in Sainsburys on Monday (not the steelbook) 2D & 3D.

Just wondering if 3D adds an other layer of confusion in quick edits, with 2D your focusing on a flat canvas once you focus on it its your focus is more or less set, where as 3D there variation in depth so with each cut you have to re focus. I may be wrong but that one theory.

Cas I wont go to see any film in 3D at the cinema I saw Avengers Assembled and it really put me off and I was very anti 3D but since having a 3D TV I changed my mind.

Just wondering if 3D adds an other layer of confusion in quick edits, with 2D your focusing on a flat canvas once you focus on it its your focus is more or less set, where as 3D there variation in depth so with each cut you have to re focus. I may be wrong but that one theory.
Probably a tad of the motion sickness kicking in as well.

But Civil War in 3D could've been a lot worse...:laugh:
Pretty obvious Paul Greengrass & 3D could never work :facepalm:
3D 'Jason Bourne' Causes Nausea, Protest in China

I find quick motion and 3D results in a blurry mess pretty quickly. You are wrong about the focusing though. There is one plane of focus with a TV or cinema screen - the screen plane. The 2D/3D is irrelevant to this. It is always a 2D projection/display with a simulated 3D effect produced by having slightly different images for each eye. Only a truly holographic display would have different focus planes for different depths as in real life and that isn't going to happen any time soon.

This single plane of focus is one reason why some people have issues with 3D though. In real life different depths have different focus points. Some people subconsciously try to focus at different depths with 3D films and they can't due to the single plane of focus and this causes headaches.

Probably a tad of the motion sickness kicking in as well.
Not for me even though
I find quick motion and 3D results in a blurry mess pretty quickly. You are wrong about the focusing though. There is one plane of focus with a TV or cinema screen - the screen plane. The 2D/3D is irrelevant to this. It is always a 2D projection/display with a simulated 3D effect produced by having slightly different images for each eye. Only a truly holographic display would have different focus planes for different depths as in real life and that isn't going to happen any time soon.

This single plane of focus is one reason why some people have issues with 3D though. In real life different depths have different focus points. Some people subconsciously try to focus at different depths with 3D films and they can't due to the single plane of focus and this causes headaches.
I found when I went to Avatar and there was a long corridor, in a scene, I could focus on the front and the back was out of focus and vice versa.
Although the scene in this film at the start in Siberia where someones going down that bit of a corridor all was in focus, but was a different set up to the one in Avatar.
Also in photography which I have to say different but if your taking a picture in a mirror say both you and the object is 5 feet from it, you focus on 10 feet.

Thanks Cas,

Saw this at my local IMAX, Cinema was disappointing but the film is decent! Was not overly impressed with the 3D either so hoping it will look better with a home viewing!

Got my 3d copy, but just noticed around the 18min mark where tony stark is talking to the lady by the lift I've noticed a grey bar on the right of the screen appearing intermittently? Tested it on my oppo and panny 4k player and it appears each time. Can anyone tell me what this is? Using the latest panny 4k 3D tv too running through a Denon amp

Got my 3d copy, but just noticed around the 18min mark where tony stark is talking to the lady by the lift I've noticed a grey bar on the right of the screen appearing intermittently? Tested it on my oppo and panny 4k player and it appears each time. Can anyone tell me what this is? Using the latest panny 4k 3D tv too running through a Denon amp
Is it just a 'Floating window' (ie the image doesn't quite go to the edge on one side in certain scenes)?
Tangled in the Floating Window
Guardians of the Galaxy (3D) has them in some scenes, as does Hugo (3D). The unfilled image is usually black though.

I'll have to disagree with you on that one Cas, Winter Soldier did indeed change the MCU but I found CW really didn't have the balls out attitude to take that storyline foward . In many ways it added little ( apart from new MCU charectors ) and I felt it diluted the Capt America story line somewhat in favour of Iron Man and the newly introduced charectors. I'm not saying its a bad film by any means as I enjoyed it but I found it on a par with BvS for muddying the waters in what should of been a Capt heavy film.

Is it just a 'Floating window' (ie the image doesn't quite go to the edge on one side in certain scenes)?
Tangled in the Floating Window
Guardians of the Galaxy (3D) has them in some scenes, as does Hugo (3D). The unfilled image is usually black though.

Yes I think you could be right, thanks for the link that's a big help

Call me a Troll, but another film that left me cold. I loved the second Captain America.
Diminished Expectations people, try and read the 2nd chapter in Mark Kermodes second book, The Good The Bad and The Multiplex explains it perfectly.
Good action with a bloated plot line. 1 hour too long.
4/10

I'll have to disagree with you on that one Cas, Winter Soldier did indeed change the MCU but I found CW really didn't have the balls out attitude to take that storyline foward . In many ways it added little ( apart from new MCU charectors ) and I felt it diluted the Capt America story line somewhat in favour of Iron Man and the newly introduced charectors. I'm not saying its a bad film by any means as I enjoyed it but I found it on a par with BvS for muddying the waters in what should of been a Capt heavy film.
Although many characters in it in a Captain America film its no doubt part of Marvels progressing story line. In the comics although across many comics and having its own mini series it did have the same team leaders. It was sort of a game changer which they actually screwed up on and had to back pedal to cover the mistake.
Spider-Man reveled his secret identity. And a bigger shock.
From Wiki
In the aftermath of Civil War, Captain America is taken into S.H.I.E.L.D. custody where he is assassinated per the order of the Red Skull.Crossbones snipes at him while Sharon Carter, who has been brainwashed by Doctor Faustus, (and Cap's girlfriend) posing as a S.H.I.E.L.D. psychiatrist, delivers the killing shot.
capshot.jpg
captain_america.jpg
I think the best part of the film was with the Cap rather than IM or any other character. And saving The Avengers for a blow out with
Thanos
and other teams.

Although many characters in it in a Captain America film its no doubt part of Marvels progressing story line. In the comics although across many comics and having its own mini series it did have the same team leaders. It was sort of a game changer which they actually screwed up on and had to back pedal to cover the mistake.
Spider-Man reveled his secret identity. And a bigger shock.
In the aftermath of Civil War, Captain America is taken into S.H.I.E.L.D. custody where he is assassinated per the order of the Red Skull.Crossbones snipes at him while Sharon Carter, who has been brainwashed by Doctor Faustus, (and Cap's girlfriend) posing as a S.H.I.E.L.D. psychiatrist, delivers the killing shot.
View attachment 756055 View attachment 756056
I think the best part of the film was with the Cap rather than IM or any other character. And saving The Avengers for a blow out with
Thanos
and other teams.

As someone who only follows the films POV I can only express my feelings on this latest film based on earlier instalments of said films :).

I don't have that depth of knowledge of the comic MCU , maybe even Marvel might just be trying to pack to many story arks into one film ?

Was why I mentioned BvS as I found CW somewhat of a stepping stone to greater things ?

I'm not having a go at the film as such , just found it more episodic rather than having its own identity,

Both WS and CW both have not realy had a conclusion WS tied some loose ends up in SHIELD but this although you think there could be more to the story if there never was it did have sort of a end to the plots. The question next is will there be vigilantes or not will they scrap the accord?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom