Review - Captain America: Civil War Blu-ray

I watched the 3D version last night and really enjoyed it.
The soundtrack was good too and I didn't have to compensate for a low recording by turning the volume up.

Saying that It's back to BvS tonight. :clap:

I watched this last night and while I thoroughly enjoyed it I did think the density of the plot and the need to give each of the characters their moment to shine left the Cap a little sidelined in his own film.

The first film is still my favourite but then that's probably down to my lack of ability to process anything more difficult than hero against bad guy in single story :)

...Still trying to work out the plot?
Give up, it cannae be done ;):p
I worked it out first time I saw it.
You just have to try harder. :p

I watched this last night and while I thoroughly enjoyed it I did think the density of the plot and the need to give each of the characters their moment to shine left the Cap a little sidelined in his own film.

The first film is still my favourite but then that's probably down to my lack of ability to process anything more difficult than hero against bad guy in single story :)
I liked the second and third instalments as I really like the Winter Soldier character.
In fact I would rather watch a Winter Soldier movie over any Capt. America/Iron Man movie.

I rewatched this last night and I think it's at the top of the tree for me as the best Marvel flick so far. Infact Winter Soldier is up there with it.

What a move by Disney giving the Russo brothers the chance to direct Winter Soldier and then locking them in not only for the sequel, but Avengers 3 & 4.

It'll be a daunting task for the director that has to do the follow-up for these films.

I dont think Infinity Wars can possibly be in safer hands. Winter Soldier and Civil War are both the pinnacle of the MCU for me with their darkness, drama and characterisation; yet the airport scene proves they can handle fantasy and humour just as effectively.

At this point, my anticipation for the next Avengers may even surpass my anticipation for the next Star Wars.

I dont think Infinity Wars can possibly be in safer hands. Winter Soldier and Civil War are both the pinnacle of the MCU for me with their darkness, drama and characterisation; yet the airport scene proves they can handle fantasy and humour just as effectively.

At this point, my anticipation for the next Avengers may even surpass my anticipation for the next Star Wars.

In between the next Avengers flick, we have Guardians 2, Spiderman and Thor 3 next year. Then early (Feb) 2018 brings Black Panthers solo outing, followed by Avengers 3 in May. Roll on 2017 and 2018 :thumbsup:

In between the next Avengers flick, we have Guardians 2, Spiderman and Thor 3 next year. Then early (Feb) 2018 brings Black Panthers solo outing, followed by Avengers 3 in May. Roll on 2017 and 2018 :thumbsup:
Don't forget Dr Strange in November, which is looking very promising :)

Just watched the airport scene yet again after the kids badgered me to put it on*

It just gets better. My daughter (an Age of Ultron fan) likes Spiderman and 'the cat one'.

*when I say 'they badgered me' I actually mean I told them we were watching it [emoji16].

Just watched the airport scene yet again after the kids badgered me to put it on*

It just gets better. My daughter (an Age of Ultron fan) likes Spiderman and 'the cat one'.

*when I say 'they badgered me' I actually mean I told them we were watching it [emoji16].
It's a comic book fan's wet dream is what it is. Even the Russos admit in the commentary that tonally it feels a bit out of kilter with the rest of the film, but I had a massive shit-eating grin on my face throughout because it's such a fanastic sequence.

My thoughts on it are here lucas, LMK what you think: Captain America: Civil War | Blu-Ray Review | Film @ The Digital Fix

It's a comic book fan's wet dream is what it is. Even the Russos admit in the commentary that tonally it feels a bit out of kilter with the rest of the film, but I had a massive sh*t-eating grin on my face throughout because it's such a fanastic sequence.

My thoughts on it are here lucas, LMK what you think: Captain America: Civil War | Blu-Ray Review | Film @ The Digital Fix

Quality as per usual, mate. Nothing to argue with except I think it's on a par with Winter Soldier (and our old feud is now moot: The Avengers is left in the dust). Proper in depth review and as always love your Geoff-isms eg: "nuclear goalkeeping" :).

I quite liked the giant title cards especially as they assume the audience has a grasp of basic geography (not needing to spell out which country each location is in) and also sparing us any expositional deadwood. Just the information you need to get on with the story. I also had no problem with the shakycamery- not when the stunt team are this spectacular.

As for the tonal shift at the airport, I admit it jarred me slightly at the cinema but, once you roll with it, its as you say: an action/fantasy wet dream. For once, the cinematic possibities served up by decades of comics are fully exploited (and not a city smashing alien or robot army in sight). For sheer imagination and exploring 'what-if' versus scenarios it blows my mind.

I love the title cards, they give the movie a different visual flourish, it's like something out of a kooky old '60s flick.

And yes, enough water has passed under the MCU bridge that I enjoy Avengers 1 for what it is, as Avengers 2 gave me a lot of the backstory and context that I was craving for. (Trust me to dislike the Avengers movie that everybody loves and love the Avengers movie that everybody dislikes.) I'm still not as sold on Avengers 1 as some, but the last time I saw a few minutes of it on TV I was quoting it line for line, so what does that tell you? :laugh:

Avengers 1 has dropped a notch or two for moi (although I still adore it). It came out in a pre Russos-Cap time; and looking back that character got really thrown under the bus with his 'spangly outfit' and boyscout persona.

The same perspective has also bumped Cap 1 (a fav of yours) up the MCU a little bit. It's become part 1 in one of the best superhero trilogies in recent memory.

Hell, even Iron Man 2 is suddenly relevant! :D

Aye, I've always loved Cap 1 (and how cool is it that they're still paying off stuff from that five years later? "I could do this all day") and always enjoyed IM2, for that matter. "I vont my burd!!"

Reading round it does not seem to be coming out in the short term or at least no news I can find.
Then you the question will the 4K have the IMAX which is only present on the 3D disc, would be great in 4K (not 3D 4K I add).
Disney really have to get over their ridiculous and uncalled for 4k hold out. There are a number of movies I REALLY want to see I have not been able to buy (because I have double dipped so many times, I now decided no more of that!). Both new Star Wars and this one is two heavy hitters I would have bought day one, if not for the "Disney lunacy".

On a side not, for the love of god, no more 1:78:1 openers on a 2.35:1 film! Constant Image Highters / Cinemascopers like me really dislikes having picture splashed out over the roof + center speaker at intermittent parts of the movie! Actually like the solution where you let th 2D presentation remain true 2.35:1 while the 3D presentation changes aspect ratios!

Disney really have to get over their ridiculous and uncalled for 4k hold out. There are a number of movies I REALLY want to see I have not been able to buy (because I have double dipped so many times, I now decided no more of that!). Both new Star Wars and this one is two heavy hitters I would have bought day one, if not for the "Disney lunacy".!

I'd call that good business strategy not lunacy.

On a side not, for the love of god, no more 1:78:1 openers on a 2.35:1 film! Constant Image Highters / Cinemascopers like me really dislikes having picture splashed out over the roof + center speaker at intermittent parts of the movie! Actually like the solution where you let the 2D presentation remain true 2.35:1 while the 3D presentation changes aspect ratios!

That's exactly the case here.

Finally got round to watching this over the weekend for the first time: not disappointed at all, the Russos delivered on all counts. The airport scene was exciting, well directed and well scripted - your mouth is open one second, the next you're laughing like a drain.

Standouts were obviously Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jnr, both excellent actors and completely believable in their roles.

I do have to admit that I badly need to watch all of Elizabeth Olsen's filmography now :). Don't tell the missus!

I'd call that good business strategy not lunacy.

Only if I'm buying, which I'm saying I'm NOT. Then it makes it a bad business strategy. I want to really underline that I am too tired of this game to double dip any more. I just vote with the wallet and SKIP watching these movies. I really want to see them is what I'm saying, but I'm staying put!

That's exactly the case here.

Sorry, that's exactly what I meant. I like this solution they used for the Civil War set. If only they could start doing UHD Blu-ray / 3D Blu-ray combos. Best of both worlds!

Only if I'm buying, which I'm saying I'm NOT. Then it makes it a bad business strategy. I want to really underline that I am too tired of this game to double dip any more. I just vote with the wallet and SKIP watching these movies. I really want to see them is what I'm saying, but I'm staying put!

Plenty will double dip though. And those that don't are part of what's still a very niche market. I'm sure Disney know what they're doing :).

Plenty will double dip though. And those that don't are part of what's still a very niche market. I'm sure Disney know what they're doing :).
There's always the deluded fool, standing all alone, THINKING they are doing the right thing. :)

They are now all alone, go figure. I know I'm niche, but I know I spent loads on hardware, I know I spend loads on software. I know that all the other studios is getting parts of that cake. I know Disney is currently getting none.

@Peake sounds like you are cutting your nose off, standard blu-ray is perfectly acceptable.

There's always the deluded fool, standing all alone, THINKING they are doing the right thing. :)

They are now all alone, go figure. I know I'm niche, but I know I spent loads on hardware, I know I spend loads on software. I know that all the other studios is getting parts of that cake. I know Disney is currently getting none.

They'll get your money though when it comes out in 4k wont they? Or will you shoot yourself in the foot by not buying? I doubt they'll notice.

Sorry not being facetious, just saying that if I were a businessman I'd adopt the same model. They are under no obligation to make films available on a niche platform from day 1, and the choice whether you want to see the film on release is yours.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom