REW

You can do it with the AVR if you have multiple sub outs with independent distance control. The trouble with that approach, and one of the benefits of the minidsp is that any auto-eq will likely undo the work you do to time align them.

realigning them after the auto EQ has run has the issue that, post time alignment, the EQ you'd want to apply would be different than if you did time alignment first.

Ideally, the process is:
Measure each sub and time align using the minidsp or similar.
Present that combination as a single sub to the AVR and have it run its EQ.
Measure the sub(s) and the mains separately, see if you can tweak the distance and improve the integration over the auto EQ
See if you want improve the sub response with additional EQ in the minidsp or similar

In lieu of a minidsp presenting the two subs independently to the AVR is the next best thing.

You can always measure afterwards and see whether you can improve the response with alignment or EQ. If you can't and you don't want to add more subs, use BEQ, etc. then there's no need to buy a minidsp.

Thanks, most of that makes sense. I have a Denon x4500h so I’m not sure if that Eq’s each sub then combines them as one for the actual eq. I think it may.

I’ll do some more reading thanks to your guidance. I enjoy the learning side.

It uses XT32 like my Marantz so I guess it measures each sub, time align and then EQ as a single unit, which is what I would recommend with a minidsp too.

I'm guessing that it's doing that but on the first sweep measurement it measures each sub, thereafter it only measures the subs together so I'm assuming it's done the alignment at that stage.

I thought I'd add my current sub plot here, my seat is quite far forward into the room (5-6 feet) and use three subs which have 12" drivers. The plots below show the average trace (black) and the individual traces at the three seating positions on the sofa, far left, far right and centre. I have EQ'd these manually reading and adjusting the EQ's in the Acurus ACT4 for each sub

Screenshot 2020-10-20 at 21.25.51.png

Here is what the three subs look like at the three positions individually making up the nice flatfish lines above !

Screenshot 2020-10-20 at 21.44.50.png

Here is my room sim for the three subs in their current position, alas the room being nearly square before the window alcoves doubles up the front and back room modes

Screenshot 2020-07-26 at 08.43.41.png

I am pretty sure these subs wont go super deep as they came with a 19 Hz high pass filter, this is now off as I am running separate bass amps. These subs are unusual as they run with one 12" driver and two passive radiators each. They seem very fast and weighty without being 'bloomy' or slow. Not sure just how much I would gain with bass traps, my waterfalls and RT60's aren't great

If I want to measure the response I'm getting rather than rely on room Sim is it just a UMIK-1 mic I need with my laptop (macbook pro)?

No worries. The UMIK only comes with something like a 2m cable so you may want to add a longer cable to your shopping list :D

I got a 5m one.

Thanks for the useful info! Proving to be an expensive couple of days :rotfl:
There are a couple of UMIKs in the classifieds at the moment, probably worth picking one of those up and saving a bit of cash.

Wasn’t sure where to ask this so thought here may be a good place. Is there any detriment or benefit of placing a sub angled 45 degrees in a corner facing in to the room?

I wouldn't have thought so, but you can measure and confirm once you get your umik.

Wasn’t sure where to ask this so thought here may be a good place. Is there any detriment or benefit of placing a sub angled 45 degrees in a corner facing in to the room?
That's how I had my Arendal Sub 3's so the opposing drivers fired into the wall so I kept my SVS SB16U in the same orientation
no issues that I could see

Great thread a lot of useful info and tips doing plenty of research for when I get my new sub in a couple of weeks.
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

You might need a screw thread adaptor but it should work.

something like this (but it’ll depend on the threads you have now): Amazon product ASIN B07R6H3PZK

Wonder if you can help. I have an old photography tripod I use for the Audyssey mic, would that work with the mic stand which comes with the UMIK? Else I'll order the one you suggested for when the UMIK arrives. Thanks.

As pointed out, you’ll likely need a thread adaptor. The one on your camera stand is probably too small. And, the mic holder that comes with the UMIK doesn’t adjust to a upright position. That won’t be a problem if the bracket on your camera stand can swivel and tilt etc.

As pointed out, you’ll likely need a thread adaptor. The one on your camera stand is probably too small. And, the mic holder that comes with the UMIK doesn’t adjust to a upright position. That won’t be a problem if the bracket on your camera stand can swivel and tilt etc.

It can. thanks. I've found the thread size for the UMIK so i'll see what I need.

Maybe you or @Conrad. can help, I'm playing with room sim to look at alternate placements for my subs. I believe I'm aiming for a nice flat response ideally but peaks are fine and nulls I want to avoid? Finally, the LF -3db is the lowest the sub will go based on the spec provided? In the case of the Mono 12 would that be 16hz? EDIT: Found the spec sheet, both ports open 18hz and one closed is 19hz.

Thanks

Last edited:
For £18.49 delivered, perhaps you would find this mic stand a little more versatile. It provides a 910mm telescopic boom reach and is supplied with both 3/8" and 5/8" adaptors. It is also about twice the weight of the Amazon jobbie for better stability.

Studiospares Pro Mic Stand

Best fire up my 3d printer......

For £18.49 delivered, perhaps you would find this mic stand a little more versatile. It provides a 910mm telescopic boom reach and is supplied with both 3/8" and 5/8" adaptors. It is also about twice the weight of the Amazon jobbie for better stability.

Studiospares Pro Mic Stand

Thanks for the suggestion. Link doesn't work. I've found it using google though.

So I got the UMIK-1 today (great buy from classifieds). I've started to try it out and get my head around things.... so much to learn!

I got my new sub today. I've run a rough eq through the 4500h (3 positions). I then ran a few sweeps at different levels to see the response. two graphs attached. Eq on and then off. Thoughts on the response?

LFE sweeps.jpg

LFE sweeps audessey off.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom