Ring Floodlight Cam Review & comments

Does the software allow the siren to be disabled? When you add in the cost of paying an electrician to install it and factor in your yearly payment it might be more cost effective to have a burglar alarm fitted.

Does the software allow the siren to be disabled? When you add in the cost of paying an electrician to install it and factor in your yearly payment it might be more cost effective to have a burglar alarm fitted.

The siren is disabled as default. You have to manually trigger it yourself.

Gotta say that is one of the ugliest pieces of kit that I have ever seen. I would be loathed to put that anywhere on my house. I think that it looks like one of those X10 PAR floodlights from the 1990’s, but uglier. For my money, I’ll stick with Hik and a separate PIR activated floodlight.

Got one on back of my house. Was waiting for them to drop for a while and finally managed to get one at a decent price. Camera is great, lights are bright, it does it's job well. I can't fault it.

Thanks for the review Greg, interesting piece of kit.

Is it possible to have a wired connection? Or only wireless?

Gotta say that is one of the ugliest pieces of kit that I have ever seen. I would be loathed to put that anywhere on my house. I think that it looks like one of those X10 PAR floodlights from the 1990’s, but uglier. For my money, I’ll stick with Hik and a separate PIR activated floodlight.

I agree, you can get a hik system with 4 discreet cameras installed for £350-400 with no ongoing costs.

I am not a fan. I had a ring doorbell. Before it got nicked I was very frustrated by the delay in someone pressing the bell and my phone alerting me. A couple of time couriers had run off before I knew about it,

The subscription I would rather give to policing in my area. If we all paid what we would for burglar alarm monitoring ot monitoring for a camera front and back and a doorbell there would be far less thieving gits about in the first place.

When are they bringing out a version with a multi-gimble mini-gun turret built in?

The subscription I would rather give to policing in my area.
You already have an expensive compulsory subscription for that - council tax and if its anything like this area - then you get absolutely zero worth of burglary deterrent and/or effort after the fact.

When are they bringing out a version with a multi-gimble mini-gun turret built in?

You already have an expensive compulsory subscription for that - council tax and if its anything like this area - then you get absolutely zero worth of burglary deterrent and/or effort after the fact.

Hate to get political but... Policing has been stripped to the bare minimum in the last decade or two, especially during Mrs Mays tenure in the home office. Cutbacks have reduced the forces to numbers well below our needs. In addition, civilian staff have all but gone leaving highly trained officers doing general paperwork tasks etc taking them away from real policing. While I agree, Council tax should go someways to covering the cost, it falls a very long way short.

I'm quite interested in this and a smart doorbell but I've heard response times on the app are poor. And it's properly ugly. The Nest option looks ok but without the floodlight integration and the doorbell isn't available yet. The new wave of smart home devices seem to come with too much early adopter risk. It feels like what should be straight forward devices take forever to come to market, cost a fortune with installation costs/service charges then disappoint or do not integrate well.

I am not a fan. I had a ring doorbell. Before it got nicked I was very frustrated by the delay in someone pressing the bell and my phone alerting me. A couple of time couriers had run off before I knew about it,

The subscription I would rather give to policing in my area. If we all paid what we would for burglar alarm monitoring ot monitoring for a camera front and back and a doorbell there would be far less thieving gits about in the first place.

Did you claim for your free replacement from them then? It's part of the service, a lifetime replacement on all of their cameras if they're stolen.

I'm quite interested in this and a smart doorbell but I've heard response times on the app are poor. And it's properly ugly. The Nest option looks ok but without the floodlight integration and the doorbell isn't available yet. The new wave of smart home devices seem to come with too much early adopter risk. It feels like what should be straight forward devices take forever to come to market, cost a fortune with installation costs/service charges then disappoint or do not integrate well.

The app can be a little slow at times, but i've usually found that to be linked to my phone signal if i'm out and about. As per the review, I often get 'WiFi Signal is poor' but i've never missed a recording since i've had it (about 3 months now)

One other note, I question the need for a qualified electrician.... it's 3 wires to connect. At worst, put a 3 pin plug on the end of a mains cable and feed it through a hole in the wall (drilling the hole in the wall took longer than the rest of install!) Personally I struggle more with the pre-cabled one as it has a 5m cable with a 3 pin plug moulded on already - how do you get that outside!? For those genuinely concerned, they do a battery version now - the battery is shared with the Doorbell 2 also, so you can keep one spare and never worry about being caught short.

While I too question the need for an electrician, you would be amazed that in the current moulded plug world how few of the current generation actually know how to wire a plug. I think I was doing it by the age of 10, possibly younger. Not sure my kids would know how to do it. I am only 45 so not that old, but things really have changed. The days when an electric shock was a right of passage have long gone.

The days when an electric shock was a right of passage have long gone.

Yes - these days your kid getting an electric shock would be a case for calling in social services and probably jail time for cruelty/neglect.

Yep, still have fuses. That would not change, we have ring mains so need it.
Although the lack of a fuse in plugs in radial circuits simply ignores what the fuse is protecting really. Our radial circuits are wired for 20A and the breaker protects wiring at 16A with 10A sockets, so sockets are protected by the over current breaker at 1.6 times rating and only common sense at the socket end. Ring circuits are 30/32A wired and protected, and sockets 13A. The plug fuse at maximum 13A does limit a socket to max rating and a double to twice the socket rating of course. But Isn’t the fuse more to protect the cable from the socket to the appliance? The cord is sized to the appliance so you don’t need 13A cable for a 3A appliance and it is easy to flex?

A fuse in plugs on our radial circuits would actually make perfect safety sense IMO if we didn’t have 10A cable on everything. (Wall warts excluded as they are there - transformer and appropriate current protection is built in so the cable is protected the same way at as a fused plug would be)

Anyway apologies we seem to have gone a little off topic :blush:

Hi all

I have just purchased this for our backdoor and was wondering about the junction box, as you can see in the photo below, my junction box is only 190cm above the ground and they recommend 3m for optimal performance. I was thinking of running the cable further up to 3m from the already installed junction box (at 190cm) and then fitting a round junction box, which then allows the cam to be attached as per the Rings guidance video. Question is, I am trying to find the correct box for fitting and I’m having no luck what so ever, can anyone recommend one?

I seem to be finding round 4 inch junction boxes but none that have the screw thread for the cam to be screwed into :(

9B3E886F-2D3E-4B93-8245-82F0933FAEE0.jpeg
BA490FF6-CA05-4C05-9819-143A204248D1.jpeg

I would also run the cable in some decent conduit.

When my shed was done the oxygen thieves cut the cable leading to a security light.

I would also run the cable in some decent conduit.

When my shed was done the oxygen thieves cut the cable leading to a security light.

I originally wanted to do this myself. But in the end, time and money prevented me. Thankfully mine is mounted high enough up to prevent anyone from cutting (i hope)...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom