Robin Hood 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Review says compatible with HDR10+ and Dolby Vision - didn't think that was possible?!

Does it mean it has DV and HD10+ on the same disc?

Review says compatible with HDR10+ and Dolby Vision - didn't think that was possible?!
Does it mean it has DV and HD10+ on the same disc?
Apparently so, looking at other reviews elsewhere. It's listed as only having one UHD.

@Simon Crust....

How did you come up with the overall score of 5?

You gave the scores 4, 10, 10 and 5 for Movie, Picture Quality, Sound Quality and then Extras. Which surely, averaged out is just over 7/10?

I'm assuming you didn't like the movie too much, I haven't seen it personally but surely an "overall" score is all the individual scores added up and divided by 4?

I've seen this a few times now and just don't understand it, surely it's got to be an average or it just becomes a "movie review", not a 4K UHD review.

@Simon Crust....

You gave the scores 4, 10, 10 and 5 for Movie, Picture Quality, Sound Quality and then Extras. Which surely, averaged out is just over 7/10?

I'm assuming you didn't like the movie too much, I haven't seen it personally but surely an "overall" score is all the individual scores added up and divided by 4?

I've seen this a few times now and just don't understand it, surely it's got to be an average or it just becomes a "movie review", not a 4K UHD review.

I don't think each category is given equal weighting. For example - I don't care about extras, should the fact the extras are terrible detracts from a great film? No, not in my opinion.

@Simon Crust....

Not speaking for Simon, but certainly when it comes to my reviews, it's far from just an average.

It would be inappropriate to calculate it that coldly, and I tend to regard it as weighted in favour of movie as the highest determining factor, with video and audio the second most important elements, and extras further down the pecking order.

Let's say Blade Runner 2049 gets a 10/10 movie score, and a 10/10 for both video and audio, but the package doesn't have much in the way of extras beyond a couple of Featurettes, and only attracts a 3/10 on that front. From my perspective, the quality of the movie, and picture and sound (weighted in that order) would likely see me still giving the release a 9/10 or even a 10/10, even if the technical average is closer to 8/10.

But that's just my preference and, to be honest, I abhor scoring. Reading the review itself tells you everything you need to know - even just the summary - so why get hung up on a number?

I don't think each category is given equal weighting. For example - I don't care about extras, should the fact the extras are terrible detracts from a great film? No, not in my opinion.

Or this (in less words).

I don't think they should give a score for the Movie itself. Yes, give their opinion on it, Everyone is entitled to that. But a lot of AV enthusiasts who buy UHD's already know about the movie and want a copy of the film.

What I do look for, when deciding to buy a 4K UHD or not is, if the picture quality and/or sound are excellent. I would buy an 'OK' film if I thought I could enjoy the picture and sound quality. They are the the most critical features of a 4K UHD. I rarely watch any Extras on the disc, so they are completely unimportant to me (I personally wouldn't even give a score for them)!

If I loved the film, i'd ONLY buy the UHD if a) it was a new release and I didn't already own it on Blu Ray or b)if it is a re-release on 4K UHD and it had better Vision/sound than on the Blu Ray copy.

To be honest I very, very rarely read ANY movie review, UHD or Theatre release. I never go off other people's opinion of a Movie - I have seen movie's I love given a very poor score and seen movies I dislike applauded by movie reviewers.

One of the worst blockbuster films I have seen. Just garbage from beginning to end.

No amount of pixels can make up for how bad this film was.

I don't think they should give a score for the Movie itself. Yes, give their opinion on it, Everyone is entitled to that. But a lot of AV enthusiasts who buy UHD's already know about the movie and want a copy of the film.

What I do look for, when deciding to buy a 4K UHD or not is, if the picture quality and/or sound are excellent. I would buy an 'OK' film if I thought I could enjoy the picture and sound quality. They are the the most critical features of a 4K UHD. I rarely watch any Extras on the disc, so they are completely unimportant to me (I personally wouldn't even give a score for them)!

If I loved the film, i'd ONLY buy the UHD if a) it was a new release and I didn't already own it on Blu Ray or b)if it is a re-release on 4K UHD and it had better Vision/sound than on the Blu Ray copy.

To be honest I very, very rarely read ANY movie review, UHD or Theatre release. I never go off other people's opinion of a Movie - I have seen movie's I love given a very poor score and seen movies I dislike applauded by movie reviewers.

I realise we all speak for ourselves in these threads and you're just saying it how you see it. Fair play. However, I really wouldn't assume most of us come here just to read the bits about audio and video quality. I want those things too, but I also want to read a review of the actual film, and I want it to receive a score. I come here because I get the whole package.

To me, reviewing the disc without reviewing the film would be like reviewing a restaurant without reviewing the food. Sure, I want to hear about the service, ambience and the quality of the flatware, but if I visit the establishment on the strength of the review only to discover they only serve pus Martinis and moose sick I'm going to feel very misled.

What I do look for, when deciding to buy a 4K UHD or not is, if the picture quality and/or sound are excellent...

Then ignore the movie score? That would appear to be the beauty of this system. If you care about any individual attribute exclusively you can look at the score for that. If you want to get an impression of the package you get a score for that, which is not just an average. If you want an average for some reason, you can work it out.

Anyway this film looked like the biggest load of shit in the trailers and I'm not shocked at the score.

I watched this last night on a £1.99 Amazon Prime stream.
How the studio gave this the green light and how the producers thought this train wreck of a movie worthwhile to make is beyond me. Leonardo DiCaprio, what were you thinking of :eek:

As a telling of the Robin Hood story it was dire. However it could have worked better as a movie having nothing to do with that (which it mostly didn't) and played up more to some of what it did have going for it. Many of the set and costume designs had a sci-fi feel about them and the movie could have worked better in a Krull like somewhere else. As it was, the streets of medieval Nottingham were astonishingly squeaky clean, perhaps the Sherriff had capital punishment for littering.

I watched it with low expectations and it met that (just).

Yes there are so many holes in this story that it could put a colander to shame. I turn my brain off and the plot holes keep turning my brain on again. From the whole crossing the sea without food or water to its mish mash of modern day weapons, clothes and language it is a bonfide train wreck. It doesn't hurt that it has unbelievable picture quality and a an excellent DTS-x sound track. More importantly, there is actually a pretty decent (if very incoherent) story underneath the wreckage.
7/10

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing seemed odd to me. The review said it should be spelt Locksley, not Loxley. But also said Robin of Sherwood was the definitive version (which I agree with) and they spelt it as Loxley.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom