Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Great film, great review. Looking forward to watching this when it finally arrives. It has been making its way from the US for the last 25 days along with all of the other Star Wars films I didn't already have on UHD.

Thanks for the review. For me this is the perfect Star Wars movie and my favourite by a decent margin.

The ending managed to be a suprise despite knowing how the overall ending would turn out.

Last edited:
Great review, this is my favourite movie of the entire franchise (sorry ESB!). Seen it a few times on D+ just waiting to get it on 4kUHD disc.

Thanks for the Review Cas. On my watch list for this Afternoon.
With the danger of sounding like a scratched record, all the individual 4K Star Wars Movies including this one are also available from Germany. Both Amazon.de & Media-dealer.de ship to the UK.
The postage is a bit hefty (€9,99 from both of them), & the case will be in German, but both Disks have the English Audio formats on them, & it will get to you a lot faster :)

+1 for top star wars movie... Although for me it is only the best movie because the other movies exist! If you think of it as a stand alone it "works" but means so much less.

Thanks cas. Awesome review! Now this is a Star Wars movie! Such a shame the only one I want isn’t available in the uk! Don’t want to pay import prices! Grrrrr

+1 for top star wars movie... Although for me it is only the best movie because the other movies exist! If you think of it as a stand alone it "works" but means so much less.
Absolutely agree. When I first watched it, I really had "A New Hope" ;) that this was the "mood" they were going to use for the Sequels, but sadly, no.

Great review Cas, really enjoyed this one and far better than the others, the robot was hilarious!

Absolutely agree. When I first watched it, I really had "A New Hope" ;) that this was the "mood" they were going to use for the Sequels, but sadly, no.

Possibly a bit optimistic given it was released after AFA, but I know what you mean. It would have been nice if either VIII or IX had had anything approaching the same impact.

The first half of the movie is a mess, but the second half is much better. Notice that they cut out a lot of Felicity Jones' scenes. She is supposed to be the protagonist, but they cut around her. I suspect that she wasn't good in those scenes.

This already looks most impressive on Disney+, so I imagine it must look utterly spectacular on disc. This is the only film in the series I'd be inclined to upgrade to physical format for. Thanks Cas.

In terms of blockbuster entertainment this was the best cinematic experience of my adult life. Nothing recaptured the Return of the Jedi childhood excitement like this did. Hyperbolic? Yes, but true.

I love this film and even now, after several viewings, I still get choked up when Red and Gold leaders check in. If only Edwards had been offered Episode 8 or 9 as well...

Of course, someone at Lucasfilm must have at least raised the idea of a Vader series on Disney+, surely...

Possibly a bit optimistic given it was released after AFA, but I know what you mean. It would have been nice if either VIII or IX had had anything approaching the same impact.
I guess I should qualify my post :)
The Force Awakens to me showed the "Eternal battle" to Balance The Force, & I had no problem with it being somewhat of a rehash of A New Hope. DISCLAIMER: I'm also a big fan of the Battlestar Galactica reboot with its basic core of "All this has happened before, & will happen again", so that concept appealed to me.
Having set the stage for a similar struggle to the original Trilogy, the Door was open for going on with a grittier version of that.

Thanks for the review - nice timing for this to drop on the 4th May :)

One little nit pick...you keep referring to them as the Resistance in the review, aren't they know as Rebels in this one? Resistance was more of a new trilogy thing. Semantics I know.

Was planning to have had this and some of the other individual releases in my possession from my US holiday trip, but a virus put paid to that ! I'll buy it at some stage as it sounds like a cracker in 4K !

The Rise of Skywalker production team should have been forced to rewatch the last 40 minutes of Rogue One repeatedly (Clockwork Orange-style) when they were producing the final act at Exegol.

Great disc. I've always been a huge, huge fan of 3D, over the 4K equivalent, but this was one instance where I had no hesitation switching to the 4K. Easy upgrade over the Blu-ray.

So an official UK release is happening yes?

No one's saying it, so I'm going to say it. This movie gets far too much credit for having a sad ending. Because of the sad ending I just feel it gets afforded a free pass on being so, so average for much of its running time. I don't hate this film, but it's a long, long way from being my favourite Star Wars film. It's just in the middle somewhere. It's... alright. The same way Solo is alright. But it's no Empire, and even in terms of the new movies The Force Awakens is 98 times more entertaining than this.

If you love it, great. I'm glad. To me, this film is just okay.

This already looks most impressive on Disney+, so I imagine it must look utterly spectacular on disc. This is the only film in the series I'd be inclined to upgrade to physical format for. Thanks Cas.

The difference isn’t that great apparently.

The discs really should have been Dolby Vision.

Performed an interesting exercise. Comparison of New Hope UHD disc, which is NOT encoded for Dolby Vision, vs Disney + streaming - very high bit rate - with DV.

On a SONY OLED panel.

Resolution was reasonably comparable, with possibly a slight + for disc.

Color and densities, a slight + toward DV vs standard HDR. A bit more detail in some colors, and differentiation in blacks.

Pity the disc is not encoded for Dolby Vision.

For what I’m seeing, if I had kids at home, I’d probably forego the discs, and stream, presuming high bit rate is attainable.

Have yet to compare via projection.

Considering the price of the box set and the lacklustre transfers on some of the films, there’s not a chance I’ll be going for physical this time around. Not to mention, reportedly a lot of the extras are messed up with incorrect aspect ratio flagging, so they look worse than even some of the DVD equivalents.

Last edited:
The first half of the movie is a mess, but the second half is much better. Notice that they cut out a lot of Felicity Jones' scenes. She is supposed to be the protagonist, but they cut around her. I suspect that she wasn't good in those scenes.

Reports are the majority of the film was re-shot/re-worked as she was originally a Rebel captain but that was completely changed as was the flow of the ending and gone are several Vader scenes too.

So an official UK release is happening yes?

At some point it’s inevitable some goes for individual releases of 1-7 but at present there is no clue when so could be many months from now if even this year at all.

Last edited:
No one's saying it, so I'm going to say it. This movie gets far too much credit for having a sad ending.
Does it? I think its a really energising ending ! The way Darth Vader smashes through the rebels, seeing him as a badass, the score, Leia "hope"...... its brilliant and makes me want to watch Ep. IV straight away.

Does it? I think its a really energising ending ! The way Darth Vader smashes through the rebels, seeing him as a badass, the score, Leia "hope"...... its brilliant and makes me want to watch Ep. IV straight away.

That is a truly awesome scene and crazy to think it was a last minute addition and very nearly didn’t make it into the film.

At some point it’s inevitable some goes for individual releases of 1-7 but at present there is no clue when so could be many months from now if even this year at all.
I really find Disney's release "plan" bewildering. First with Disney+, where I totally get that they had to wait for various long-term deals to run their course to activate it Europe-wide, but then to activate it just for the Netherlands as "A Test"....
I mean, imagine in the USA if only Florida could have got it for several Months before the rest of the States!!!
And now, with the stand-alone disks, here they all are available in Germany etc. but NOT the UK!!
?????

I have actually done that myself more than once! I don't even go on to watch the whole of Ep. IV, just until the Droids land :)
That is a truly awesome scene and crazy to think it was a last minute addition and very nearly didn’t make it into the film.
That is truly scary, but if that's what last-minute can bring, bring it on! :D

I really find Disney's release "plan" bewildering. First with Disney+, where I totally get that they had to wait for various long-term deals to run their course to activate it Europe-wide, but then to activate it just for the Netherlands as "A Test"....
I mean, imagine in the USA if only Florida could have got it for several Months before the rest of the States!!!
And now, with the stand-alone disks, here they all are available in Germany etc. but NOT the UK!!
?????

Some have speculated it’s to do with the exclusivity deal with Amazon and I guess it is possible as having them as the sole UK provider of the films on UHD ensures they get 100% of sales but it’s just yet another example of Disney UK being out of touch but hardly unexpected with how they treated the last few MCU catalogue titles.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom