Rotel RB985 - Noisy help repair ?

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a Rotel RB985 amp from the classified sometime ago. Never really got round to using but I have an application for it now.

However when I have hooked it up its getting quite a bit of noise on the two channels I am using it on with no volume. Previous power amps I have used haven't had this issue at all and have usually been quiet.

I have had the lid off and the main capacitors seem to have had better days, two have what appears to be a leak, one has a slight bulge though not sure if that is normal and one is slightly loose. The much smaller caps all appear to be ok at first glance.

The big question is now do I buy some new caps and see if this cures it. I would need 4 x 15000microfarad 63V and 2 x 10000microfarad 63V which might be quite pricey.

Anybody got any recommendations on where to source them for or the best replacements. Usually use RS but happy for suggestions.

Any thoughts I am quite happy do the soldering work etc to replace them just wondering if this would cure\be worth it?

IMG_0294.JPG IMG_0295.JPG IMG_0296.JPG

Hello, did you ever solve this problem please? I have the same amp and there is a very quiet buzzing sound on the two inputs on the Right channell outputs. The other three are perfect.

No, I did replace the capacitors which I bought from mouser. Inadvertently soldered one the wrong way round and so that went with a bang and blew part of the track.

Anyway, I fixed that bit and it was all working however the buzzing did not go away so I suspect it is another component causing the issue. What that is, I don't know, so it is currently sat in my garage feeling sorry for itself :(

Oh haha, what a shame though. Have mine powering the fronts using preouts from my Denon AVRX3600. No problem at the moment with that but when I eventually get height speakers, can't really expect the Denon to cope with all those channels! I know it has all those speaker connections but, from experience, something weighing 12kg can't drive them all properly simultaneously ;o)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom