Rum

I bought el doredo 21 year old from amazon today for £67 will try it weekend. I have only tried deplamatico exclusiva reserva rum wise and el dorado 12 year rum.
What other rums do you guys recommend

I bought el doredo 21 year old from amazon today for £67 will try it weekend. I have only tried deplamatico exclusiva reserva rum wise and el dorado 12 year rum.
What other rums do you guys recommend

You sound like you have similar tastes to myself. The El Dorado 21 is nice and that was a decent price for it so I went for it also. I think I prefer the 15 in all honesty which I found in Aldi about 5 years back for £25 a bottle so bought the case.

Anything by FourSquare or Plantation tend to be excellent rums.

Plantation XO is possibly my favourite rum, The Port or Zinfandel cask finish limited releases by FourSquare are sublime and I keep going back to Doorlys 12yr and Kirk & Sweeney 23yr.

Thank you I think I will go for plantation XO and kirk and sweeney 23 year as my next bottles go try over Christmas
I like whisky but just fancied trying new drinks as spirit wise I have only drank whisky. I will get a bottle of dalmore though as I have not tried that

Although I’m 39 I’m just getting into rum, it’s The Kraken’s fault, bloody lovely”
Deadman’s fingers is also a good one.

Oh, and @shodan, if you like pussers, try plantation OFTD. Way strong but at 69% it’s, paradoxically, almost a sippable overproof, also can’t taste any sugar dosing.
How do you drink it? Neat? Ice? Splash of coke?

OFTD was created with being Tiki mixer in mind, so you don't need much to give a big rum hit in a cocktail. It's bit bit like Pussers 54% in that it's smooth enough to sip over ice, with a bit of water or even on it's own if you are careful (it's 69% but worryingly smooth for all of that).
I've never been that keen on coke as I always found it too sickly and never could get my head or tastebuds around the diet stuff, so i tend to mix with apple juice or coconut water if I'm in a party mood, or just water and/or ice if I'm sipping.
As for Pussers, there is a french website that discounts it occasionally so that on offer I can get it delivered at about £22 a bottle, which is Woods territory (which it beats hands down).

Picked up a bottle of the Duppy Share recently for the first time and i'm impressed, nice flavours and easy drinker

Lately though I have been going back to Old J, decent price in the supermarkets and is a good one with your choice of mixer

I'm still on the old Kraken. Can't get enough of the stuff.

I find the lack of any mention of Abuelo in this thread disturbing.

The Abuelo 12yo has displaced all contenders as my favourite low/mid-priced rum, including previous favourites Diplomatico, Zacapa, Plantation, Zaya.

Had a bottle of this sitting around for years....I remember liking it years ago. Hoping when I finally crack it open that it won’t disappoint.

Attachments

• 277BD1B3-1962-45AA-801D-3EF71CB1FC96.jpeg
    277BD1B3-1962-45AA-801D-3EF71CB1FC96.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 62
I am new to Rum (aside from Bacardi and coke in my youth) but prefer it to other spirits so I have been trying a few out.

Appletons 12 yr is a nice rum. The standard Appletons is good too.

Wray and Nephew overproof and Woods Navy go great with coke - absolute rocket fuel

Kraken doesn't really taste of rum IMO but it is a very nice drink.

I'm partial to a spiced rum, almost always go for the usual Kraken, Morgans Spiced, Sailor Jerry, etc, but thought I'd treat myself to a Chairman's Reserve this time around, looking forward to trying it out later. 🥃👍

Attachments

• 20200915_144157.jpg
    20200915_144157.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 71
Time for some of this....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 50
Woah! Aj, I want the nobs-on description of this old tar. I’ve had the straight, over proof and spiced versions. So it will be interesting how this one differs from the gunpowder. Do tell...

I don’t have the full range of references within the range that you have but I do have the ability to compare against the previous version of the 15yr old (Red label).

Simply, not as good as the red label. For this, it gets a lot of flack in online reviews. It just isn’t as good. Where it’s lacking from memory in the main is smoothness.

in isolation, for me, it’s still very good.

Done some more digging and have found many good reviews.

either way, I like it, a lot!

I'm hanging on for the Gunpowder Proof to come back into stock at the French site I sometimes use. Not sure if Covid is causing issues with that. When they do they usually discount it so that it comes in at £22 delivered (if you get 4 spread the shipping cost) so it's worth it. The 'over' overproof version (green label) is mad, sells well in Germany though.

What's the difference between the new and old version of the 15 YO? I read that it's got 0 added sugar, while the old blend did - and that can have a marked difference. It's nice to see a company actually moving away from dosing their rums.

I'm hanging on for the Gunpowder Proof to come back into stock at the French site I sometimes use. Not sure if Covid is causing issues with that. When they do they usually discount it so that it comes in at £22 delivered (if you get 4 spread the shipping cost) so it's worth it. The 'over' overproof version (green label) is mad, sells well in Germany though.

What's the difference between the new and old version of the 15 YO? I read that it's got 0 added sugar, while the old blend did - and that can have a marked difference. It's nice to see a company actually moving away from dosing their rums.
The main difference is that this is now a blend purely from Guyana. Mix of wooden and column stills. Before it was a mix of wooden from Guyana and column from Trinidad. Taste wise this isn’t as sweet as the old version which would speak to you having read that it’s 0 or at least low in sugar.

I must agree with you on preferring little added sugar in my rum. I have some bottles which have tons of sugar in them, Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva comes to mind.

Yeah, I still really like Eldorado 15yo, I just wonder what it would be like without equivalent of two tablespoons of sugar in the bottle.

You have to readjust your senses with the Jamaican and Barbadian rums. I've had the Mount Gay 1703 and its smooth, very dry - you can taste the cask but if all you'd ever had was Zacapa or Diplomatico you'd probably call it rough!

I am new to Rum (aside from Bacardi and coke in my youth) but prefer it to other spirits so I have been trying a few out.

Appletons 12 yr is a nice rum. The standard Appletons is good too.

Wray and Nephew overproof and Woods Navy go great with coke - absolute rocket fuel

Kraken doesn't really taste of rum IMO but it is a very nice drink.

i bought a bottle of kraken on the basis of this quote (tho, normally drink rum of a weekend) and it is a very nice drink..!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom