Question Running games from External HDD

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Further to my questions about gaming laptops, it still sadly seems like the only real way forward but my new question is about installing & running games from external HDD's

the one I'm currently looking at comes with a 500gb NVME drive but assume this will get eaten up pretty quickly so is it possible to install & run games from an External drive?
Are there any recommendations for drive or minimum speeds I should look at?

Thanks

Neil

What connectivity does your laptop have in terms of ports? Is there any way to get a SATA SSD in there (e.g. where a CD drive lives)? Useful to post a link :)

Yes technically but I would try and avoid.

Can't see the other post but like @richardb70 stars what is the spec.

If you are buying new then I would look at sourcing a model with a bigger NVME drive.

An external disk should be at the very least an SSD preferably another NVME connected by USB C to the laptop. Anything else is going to be substantially slower and depending on the game will impact the performance.

Thanks guys

Looks like you can add second drives so the options to pop in a SSD is doable & makes all this a bit silly now lol

Anyway this is the laptop I'm eyeing up

Neil

You can also upgrade the 500gb drive so these days I would want a minimum of 1TB so either upgrade the first one or add a second 1 TB drive, depends on your budget.

Either way it will be far better than an external drive

You can also upgrade the 500gb drive so these days I would want a minimum of 1TB so either upgrade the first one or add a second 1 TB drive, depends on your budget.

Either way it will be far better than an external drive

Yeah just looking & for £37 I can switch the NVME drive to 1TB & then add another SATA secondary drive for another £40 so can have 2TB of storage for under £100 extra
Seems daft not to go that route really

Thanks again & sorry for being thick & not reading the specs properly lol

Neil

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom