Ryzen owners ? have any problems with fan/s control ?

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Built a 3600 and MSI b450m mortar max system over the weekend , and have noticed that i don't have any "real" control over my fans

even setting a fan curve in the BIOS has no real effect as to how their should be responding !
PWM all to all sys fans in the BIOS , but only seem to be spinning at half speed ( i know they'll go faster - same case and fans as my last rig )

anyone else noticed that they fans ain't doing what they should be doing ?

MSI commander pro , seems to work ( but after a restart i have readjust them to were i want them again ( which isn't convenient at all )
speedfan - doesn't work ( too out dated )

Not noticed anything in particular, I usually keep an eye on my CPU temps during gaming and there's no cause for concern. Idling seems to be in the 20s usually. I haven't tinkered with anything at all to be honest.

Is your BIOS up to date?

I would assume this is more likely to be a specific motherboard issue? I've not noticed any fan issues with a Ryzen 3900 and an Asus X570 board.

Cheers all
Yea on the latest bios ,

Might revert back the original one , see if that makes any difference,

It's the msi b450 mortar iv got .

So just tried the previous bios and no good , just the same :thumbsdow,
even tried going back to the newest BIOS

after digging around it's seems to be a problem for others too ,

Might return the mobo back to Amazon , and try the Asrock steel legend b450m instead .. or a gigabyte mobo

how ever there are the b450m (non Max ) which needs a 2000 series chip to do the update
Amd do a boot kit . but seems a bit of a naf trying to get it ,

So , has any one got a 2000 series chip that maybe could lone me to do the update ?
quite happy to pay the postage both ways ( so it will be no cost to you at all ) it's a long shot , but worth asking ..

Any ideas if Scan or Overclockers will do the BIOS update if i ask nicely ? :)

Any ideas if Scan or Overclockers will do the BIOS update if i ask nicely ? :)
Certainly worth asking! They may just do it, or ask for a nominal sum...

Out of interest, what temps were you experiencing? Idle vs load?

Out of interest, what temps were you experiencing? Idle vs load?
Out of the box , their where sat at 50ish at idle , while running a game their were at mid 80's
even NZXT'z cam would send the temps way high ( but this was/is a common problem )

after a lot of digging around , i notice that the Core voltage was set to 1.47 < out of the box 😲
so this explained why the idle temps where so high ,

even if changed back to previous update for the BIOS it was still the same ,
so more digging around and i had install the latest chipset drivers ( i would of thought the drives on a MSI's website would of been the latest , but no i had to install the one from AMD https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450
thus giving me the Ryzen power plan as well within windows power option ( high or balanced ) which i didn't have !!

and after installing the newest BIOS update ( again ) everything seem/is running just fine ( the core voltage has drop to 1.08 while idling and the CPU boost as it should do.... 4.2 allbeit on one core )

Now as to my main problem ( no control over the fans )
both my fans hubs don't work at all ( on my z97 i could use speed fan and control them all)
how ever nothing on this board -b450m- even plugged into the mobo ( go figure )
now this is my fault , and after a lot of messing around , i figured out ( which i should of realised straight away ) my fans are not PWM > corsair SP 120 -old style-

after trying one PWM fan i can control it how ever i see fit .

so iv ordered 4x Be-quiet silent wings 3 all PWM which i can now use with my fan hub or plug directly in the mobo ..

Yeah, I read something prior to upgrading to Ryzen - get most of the drivers from MSI (in my case) but always get the chipset drivers from AMD directly.

Glad you diagnosed the issue :).

I have the MSI Mortar B450m (not the max version) and have no issue with fan control. The water pump requires me to set the fan speed to 7000rpm, probably as anything less than that and the voltage is too low

I think I'm on original bios on gigabyte x570 board and voltage is 1.45 but not noticed any temp issue from fans.
It spends most of the time in 30s to 40s for cpu temp and 50s for gaming
Must be board related I guess.

I finished building a new Ryan build last night, had it up and running last Sunday but had to change a couple of things, and noticed there was no control over the fans in Win 10. In the end I bought a Corsair Commander Pro, I have a Corsair 280X case with 4 Corsair RGB fans, and now have control over them. Yes, I went full unicorn vomit.

I did have a Corsair H115i AIO but the screw for the radiator were too long, and would have damaged the rad fins, so I returned it and got a Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi instead as I needed a cooler shorter than 150mm.

FA6A824C-A9AC-45D2-952B-7EE292016FE0.jpeg

I finished building a new Ryan build last night, had it up and running last Sunday but had to change a couple of things, and noticed there was no control over the fans in Win 10. In the end I bought a Corsair Commander Pro, I have a Corsair 280X case with 4 Corsair RGB fans, and now have control over them. Yes, I went full unicorn vomit.

I did have a Corsair H115i AIO but the screw for the radiator were too long, and would have damaged the rad fins, so I returned it and got a Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi instead as I needed a cooler shorter than 150mm.

View attachment 1255369
Ryan Gosling? Reynolds? :D
The motherboard should (either in software or in the BIOS, or both) have control features for the fans. I don't even think about the fans anymore, I haven't for a while - having only large quiet Noctua fans helps too.

Ryan Gosling? Reynolds? :D
The motherboard should (either in software or in the BIOS, or both) have control features for the fans. I don't even think about the fans anymore, I haven't for a while - having only large quiet Noctua fans helps too.

Reynolds of course (damn you auto correct and not proof reading).

I could have set profiles in the bios but I’ve neem into computers and technology since the 1970s so I do like gadgets. The CorsairCommander Pro, considering I have been on the Corsair bandwagon for quite a few years, works a treat. I take fans at 1100 rpm and the 2 top outtake fans are at 900. I’ll test this over the coming days and see if I need to make any adjustments but it’s nice and quiet for now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom