Salt and pepper shrimp

• Thread starter Deleted member 651479
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 651479

I'm trying to master this dish. I've ordered it from Chinese takeaways, but it hasn't delivered. It's been dry, expensive and lacking in size and flavour.

I bought a kilo of tiger shrimp from my local fishmonger. I de-veined them and marinated them with the heads on in Chinese rice wine and sea salt. Tossed them in cornstarch and fried them for one minute a side. I minced fresh garlic, ginger, jalapeno peppers and diced half a sweet red onion which I fried in a pan of oil. I tossed in the shrimp to coat them and did the taste test. Not bad, but not 'blow your head off' amazing. The shells were nice and crunchy like shrimp biscuits. I got good feedback and everyone even ate the heads.

Round two the next day. Tried again without the head and shells (leaving the crispy tails) Same recipe but added a splash of soy sauce, five spice seasoning and replaced the salt with MSG and swapped the jalapenos for birds eye chllies. Good feedback, but everyone missed the crunch of the shells. I prefer them without shells tbh.

For round three, I'll go ahead and used fresh scotch bonnet chili including the seeds. It needs something else though. Maybe I can't really taste it's because I smoke cigarettes.

I think maybe toasted sesame oil FTW. Pretty sure the scotch bonnet pepper will give it the kick it's lacking.

It's nice with dumplings and egg drop soup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can i suggest putting them them in olive oil with chopped chillies and garlic for a few hours before cooking, let the flavour soak in. I did it years ago with some prawns, they were full of flavour.

I tried it with soft crab. It was weird eating a whole crab like that. I left the guts in as it's all about that crab butter <3

Can i suggest putting them them in olive oil with chopped chillies and garlic for a few hours before cooking, let the flavour soak in. I did it years ago with some prawns, they were full of flavour.

Good suggestions

A bit of fish stock as well.

I would add a little seasalt to the cornstarch as well and could throw in some dried chilli.

Not to my taste to eat shrimps with shells on. I’d take prawns and coat them in a light batter. Then fry.

In a wok I’d add onion, garlic, chilli, spring onion, salt and drop of five spice. Then throw in the prawns to coat.

I tried this salt and chilli mix but it’s over-powering.
Amazon product ASIN B073FN76FC

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom